Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan Cablesurf

• 20-03-2005 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I did a bit of computer setup for a relative who lives in Dungarvan and I was surprised to notice that I was getting download speeds in excess of 500kbytes per second. I checked the ISP and sure enough Dungarvan has been enjoying the countries best home broadband service for a number of years now. The standard offering is 9MBs for €40/month.

http://www.cablesurf.com/

No disrespect to Dungarvan but it isn't exactly a high technology hub so I ask if If Dungarvan can do this - why can't the rest of the country?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Reasons why can't the rest of the country:

1: Eircom would be out of Business over night.

2: The government are not concerned whether or not the country has a decent web service. It is more concerned that already very wealthy businessmen earn even more money by digging up streets laying cables etc... "It looks like the government is caring and involved from a consumer angle"

3: Eircom would rather that broadband did not exist at all! Imagine what they are raking in in Dial-up and disconnect and reconnect telephone call charges!!! It kills them to have to offer €9.99 for 25 hours at the moment!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Danno wrote:
    Reasons why can't the rest of the country:

1: Eircom would be out of Business over night.

2: The government are not concerned whether or not the country has a decent web service. It is more concerned that already very wealthy businessmen earn even more money by digging up streets laying cables etc... "It looks like the government is caring and involved from a consumer angle"

3: Eircom would rather that broadband did not exist at all! Imagine what they are raking in in Dial-up and disconnect and reconnect telephone call charges!!! It kills them to have to offer €9.99 for 25 hours at the moment!!!

Eircom are still pushing Dial-Up and will continue to do so for years to come.

Why/How did Dungarvan get such fast internet connection???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,297 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Private, local cable company, family owned business, had no reason not to move to new technologies considering how relatively cheap it would be is what I heard

Casey Cablevision are a full member of RIPE on their own accord. I've no idea who provides their general internet connection though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It might be a community broadband scheme or a private company had access to a local Fibreoptic cable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dungarvan has had BB since 1998 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Caseys have been using fibre off the esb for a few years now for a link to Dublin where they get transit off multiple providers (initially it was leased lines). From what I see they're using top class equipment in all areas of their network, and have no plans to stop upgrading as new equipment comes along. They also have their own fibre running all around Dungarvan, installed in ducts they initially put down when they first started (unlike cablelink/chorus they didnt hang the cable off peoples houses and gutters). They also provide an excellent (as analogue cable tv systems in this country go) single tv package. I think the service has a 512kbit upload limit btw. I had the pleasure of trying out surfing on one of their connections a few months ago, and I was amazed, was able to download at around 850KB/sec when I could find fast enough servers! Lets all move to Dungarvan! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Imagine the headline

Waterford BB Restricted to 512k Upload.

Shockin Stuff ! Poor Moriarty would have a torrid time sorting out the bitchin from the bitchin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Is Casey making any money out of this and if so how come there aren't more Mom and Pop cable internet providers around the country? Are there licensing restrictions?

Advertisement