Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get grinds?

Options
  • 20-03-2005 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering how many people here get grinds. I get grinds in Irish (H) and Maths (O).

Do You Get Grinds? 22 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    ScarinaeZhaneCaoimheZukustiousjohnnyqblondie83WaltonsSullyangeldelightsnappieTCeciliad4gurlBright SmileBeauTheDocScraggsupmeathrandomfella[Deleted User]Guy.Loco 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

nope but i need some

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

No
    I got grinds in H level maths last year and few conversation grinds for french coming up to the oral. Maths grinds got me a B1 so were def worth doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

No
    not yet!! but i certainly need some....anybody know any decent german grind teacher in carlo area?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

No
    I get grinds in Maths (H) and Spanish (H) cos they're my worst subjects. I can't work out which one I'm going to be using for points though cos I'm crappy at both. Maths seems easier to improve on though cos I have no idea how to work at a language, and I'm SO screwed for the oral in Spanish, ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

No
    I have a grind for Irish oral work and a grind for Chemistry. The chemistry was really to help me get everything sorted out in my head, I was so disorganised in 5th year and paid pretty much no attention in class...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

nope, no grinds for me -except if you count those institute course thingys: did one at xmas.
    Then again I go to a really good school (imo anyway!) so not really needed. I didn't know so many ppl took grinds!

:)

No
    In some schools it's becoming a disadvantage NOT to take grinds, as the rest of your class will be ahead of you. Apparently in girls-only schools it's especally common for most students to be taking at least one grind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I didn't get grinds in my leaving cert year last year. Even though i got the course i wanted i certainly could have done with grinds in French and Economics which would have definitely boosted my points tally. At the end of the day only get grinds if you think they are essential. Don't forget they cost an obscene amount of money and there is no poiont in getting grinds if you're not going to put the work in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

No
    In my Irish class there's about 22 of us and of these about 18 people are getting grinds from the other Higher Level Irish teacher...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No
    I do get a few grinds as iv a slight hearing problem (50% loss in one ear) so I find learning or going over stuff on a one-to-one basis is much easier then class work! Though, it depends on the subjects.

- Sully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

ye im gettin grinds in biology...the whole higher level class is...the teacher is crap!! n d guy who doin them is goin to give me n irish oral grind before the oral! did irish ones for a while 2 (h)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Fishie; where do you get Spanish grinds? Just out of interest like.

No
    Bob wrote:
    Fishie; where do you get Spanish grinds? Just out of interest like.
    In the Foxrock Institute. It's nice because there's only four of us in the class and the tecaher is actually Spanish himself. He gives us quite a bit of work to do but that's probably a good thing, also he goes over verbs which is GREAT because my teacher in school just assumes that we know them (which I don't... Eek)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

No
    Ordinary Irish.

I need a D3 in Ordinary Irish to get my #1 CAO choice. I'll get that with these grinds. I'd be failing otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

No
    hey Caoimhe you said u get chemistry grinds r they one one one?does ne one know ne gud one on one chemistry ones in the south Dublin/bray area??need urgent!!chemistry teacher crap!!oh and im doin irish at foxrock institute dey r gettin me thru 5th yr!!!grinds are d best solution if u hav a crap teacher!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

d4gurl wrote:
    hey Caoimhe you said u get chemistry grinds r they one one one?does ne one know ne gud one on one chemistry ones in the south Dublin/bray area??need urgent!!chemistry teacher crap!!oh and im doin irish at foxrock institute dey r gettin me thru 5th yr!!!grinds are d best solution if u hav a crap teacher!!

check out the thread offering grinds, most of them will probably be one on ones

No
    Really the less people that are in your grind class, the more valuable it is for you because you get more attention. There's very little point in going to one of those grinds where you're in a class with loads of people, especially if you aren't set work to do

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

No
    At the end of the day grinds will always be better then school. My school is full of retards. I was class at maths, getting A in junior cert honours, then my teachers gets up the duff, and get some fool who cant teach, i drop to pass and get my A

Now this year, sixth year, my maths teacher leaves and we get another fool. My class is full of messers, i cant get maths grinds so i am left to myself. =(

I do do Economics and German and Irish tho. They are good, highly recommend Exam Focus, I do mine in portmarnock.

Advertisement