Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, Bjork anyone?

• 20-03-2005 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Definetly a favorite singer of my, I think she's got an utterly unique vocal quality, and makes some just downright excellent music. Homogenic would probably be my favorite album of hers, although I've not got Medulla yet.

What does everyone else think? Love/hate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Yeah, I like her stuff. the sugarcubes were good but when Debut came out...wow. I haven't heard much of her recent stuff so i'm not sure what she's up to now. Must go root that album out actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Actually, good thing you posted, Outshined... I really want to track down that Hyperballad EP where she did a song with Carcass! Have you heard that?

Anyone have any clues to where I can nab that?

No afraid not. It's a remix of Isobel on the Hyperballed EP, I went looking for it a few years ago and the only place I could find it was in the Virgin megastore in Dublin but they had the wrong version of the EP! I'd love to hear it though.

Here's some info on it actually.
    Carcass remixed Bjork's Isobel, available on the UK version of the Hyperballad single. The catalogue number is OLI 192TP7CDL. [The single contains Hyperballad (Radio Edit), Isobel (Carcass remix), Cover Me (Plaid Mix), and Hyperballad (Towa Tei Remix)]. (Apparently, she's somewhat of a Carcass fan, but because the song was quite personal to her, she wasn't very happy with the remix, and neither were Carcass. There was talk of Carcass perhaps remixing another song instead, but they eventually settled for the one they did originally).

Ah, Isobel... I knew it was a song she already recorded, just couldn't think of what one it was.

Well, if I ever find it, I'll let you know. ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers dude, that'd be cool. :)

No bother.

Actually, I'm just peeking at the website, she's releasing a new 2-DVD version of Medulla which seems pretty damned cool. Must nab that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Big fan back when Debut was released, easing my way into Medulla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I have mixed feelings about Bjork. Some stuff I love, some I can't stand. Want to get Medulla though, really like the idea of it.

What's Medulla like? I would have been into her around Debut/Post and they were cool. Is it on a par with them or completely different?

@Karl Hungus

You know, the last time I looked for that E.P. was before Amazon was about but I checked it out there and they have it! I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

The internet is great :D

• Advertisement

0utshined wrote:
    @Karl Hungus

You know, the last time I looked for that E.P. was before Amazon was about but I checked it out there and they have it! I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

The internet is great :D

Oh duuuuuuurrhhhhh... :rolleyes:

Why I've never bothered to check amazon before is beyond me. There's a lot of hyperballad singles though, can you toss us a link to which one it is?

Judging by the catalogue number this seems to be the one. It only has Hyperballad listed but from this link it would appear to be the right one. You might want to hold off getting it till I can confirm it, there's no point us both getting the wrong version :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

if you haven't listened to vespertine yet, you should asap. her best album by far!

Thanks, Outshined!
    if you haven't listened to vespertine yet, you should asap. her best album by far!

Yeah, I seem to be a little out-dated, all I've got is Debut, Post and Homogenic.
    Vespertine is on my to-do list anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Yellow belly

then you'll probably like Joanna Newsome - she's got a wonderful album out right now called the milk eyed mender which is well worth checking out - think bjork with a harp and you've pretty much got it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

If you like Bkork - Check out
    Emilíana Torrini - bjork wothout the whining.

www.emilianatorrini.com/

and

The Tiny
    http://www.thetiny.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

I agree that Vespertine is excellent, but I wouldn't run out to buy Medulla. I really admire Bjork for always experimenting, but I just don't think it makes such a good listen. As someone already said, her output can really vary in terms of quality - some sublime and some quite dull.
    Hope she keeps it up though...

Just ordered a Hafler Trio LP of which one side is made entirely using just Bjork's voice. Pre-Medulla from the looks of things. I'll pass judgement as soon as it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I was blown away when I heard The Sugarcubes Birthday on John Peel.
    Their first LP was excellent and I saw them play a great gig in the SFX in October 1989 just after they released the reasonably good Here Today Tomorrow Next Week album.

Bjork - I bought Debut and Post but missed the subsequent records although I did get the Greatest Hits as a present a while back.

Anyone have The Family Tree set?
    Looks great.

also - are the live versions of the four Bjork albums worth buying?
    You can get all four in a box or separately

No idea about the live albums, nlgbbbblth. The only live Bjork I've got is Live At The Shepard's Bush Empire DVD. Very good preformance altogether.
    TheMonster wrote:

www.emilianatorrini.com/

and

The Tiny

Yes, I'm aware of Emiliana Torroni. Gollum's Song on the Two Towers soundtrack was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Medulla is excellent. Well worth buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

I really like the Plaid remix of All Is Full of Love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

TheMonster wrote:

www.emilianatorrini.com/

and

The Tiny

That Gollum song is fantastic as Karl said... A bit fan of LOTR, poor Gollum the song was really touching...

AND, Bjork is undeniable a good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Although when she was a kid she once went to school in her pyjamas wrapped in a duvet. I wouldnt say crazy, but colourful anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Army of me is decent. I wouldnt say she's amazing though.

Also is it true that at a concert of hers she was really annoyed that hardly anyone turned up, so she took a crap on stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

That was Iggy Pop.

0utshined wrote:
    Judging by the catalogue number this seems to be the one. It only has Hyperballad listed but from this link it would appear to be the right one. You might want to hold off getting it till I can confirm it, there's no point us both getting the wrong version :D

I called up to my parents and Amazon had delivered this during the week. It does have the Carcass remix on it and it's very good, not typical Carcass or typical Bjork but somewhere in between. Definitely worth a listen if you want to hear Bjork backed by the best guitarist in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

John2 wrote:
    I have mixed feelings about Bjork. Some stuff I love, some I can't stand.

yep, my feelings exactly!

although, Joga = Genius :D

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    Just ordered a Hafler Trio LP of which one side is made entirely using just Bjork's voice. I'll pass judgement as soon as it arrives.

Well it took a lot longer than expected to get this release due to my first copy getting lost on its trip from Italy to here. In any case, I finally got it and my opinion is that it sounds excellent but where Bjork's voice can be found (or indeed any of the other three vocalists on the lp) is a mystery. I think all the music is just processed vocals but I can't be sure. It's very atmospheric (but very experimental, even for Bjork).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I haven't listend to much else but debut but I think she is amasing!

Advertisement