Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 series running cost Vs. 5 series running cost

Options
  • 20-03-2005 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I am trying to compare the running cost of a 2001 BMW 520 with a 2000 320i.

What would be a ballpark figure for insurance for a 25 year old male driver? Fuel consumption? Tax? Etc

Any information or links to sources would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not that easy :)

First of insurance is impossible to guess without knowing how many years no claims bonus and / or named driving you have. The 520 is not necessarily more expensive. I got a best quote for a 735iA V8 which was about €150 lower than the best quote for a same value 523iA and a 528iA, both with the straight 6 engine

The 320 has the older 2.0l straight 6 engine where the 520 has its replacement, a 2.2l straight 6 engine. Tax is €539 for the 320 and €722 for the 520 per year. Fuel consumption is pretty much the same. The official figure for city mileage is BETTER for the 520, which is 130kg heavier, which proves the new engine is much more efficient. Official fuel consumption (mix) is around 30mpg for both, but with a lot of city traffic this might sound a tad optimistic

I take it the purchase price is the same for a '00 320 and a '01 520? Obviously the 520 is better value for money as it originally cost more than the 320 and you can get it a year younger. Depreciation is hard to call, depends on how long you plan to keep the car. My gut feeling is that depreciation on the 520 is slightly higher if you plan to keep it for 3 years. Having said that, the 320 is the previous model and the 3 series is about to change. The 5 series is the previous model, but the 5 series will not change over the next 3 years at the very least. You will thus have the previous model if you opt for the 5 series and you will have 2 models ago with the 3 series, which is not great

Maintenance is again slightly more expensive on a 5 series, although, once again, the engine in the 5 series is the newer model (still used). Tyres (if they are standard) are slightly wider on the 520 so will cost you slightly more (maybe 10%)

All in all, depending on your insurance quotes, it will cost you very very little extra to run the 520 over the 320

If you have no preference, looks wise, size, etc., go for the 520 :)

Oh and you might get more goodies with the 520 compared to the 320

You won't regret it, the performance of the 520 (170bhp) is better than that of the 320 (150bhp) (e.g. 0-100km/h in 9 instead of 10 seconds - quite significant, more than you would expect as the bhp/tonne is only slightly higher for the 520)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Plus the E39 (5 series) was voted year after year then for being the best car around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

The 3-series is that little bit sportier though, will hold its value better and be abit easier to sell on, I had a nicely kitted 328i before which folk were literally falling over themselves to buy and the same can't be said for the (albeit wrecked) 528i beforehand which I lost a small fortune on (not many E46's around the 9k mark?),. I'd still buy a 5-series though as the best all rounder and it (feels) a hell of a lot safer on the road, both will probably need control arm bushes at this stage (if nervous over 80 on rough roads) and possibly the whole shebang (arms, balljoints etc.) at around €600 in the near future depending on mileage and abuse, so apart from depreciation I cant really see much difference in running cost between the two, obviously the 525i would be the ideal choice for overtaking starbo tooorbo's dauwn da naas duel cabbageway.. bud. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

528i wrote:
    ... obviously the 525i would be the ideal choice for overtaking starbo tooorbo's dauwn da naas duel cabbageway.. bud. :cool:
    LOL...bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 toad

Thanks guys! A lot of great information here, its good getting it from people who have actually owned bmws.

I think it's the insurance thats going to kill me, as I have never had a policy in my own name before. :( Also I have only had my full licence a year, so I guess that doesn't help at all either. I checked 123.ie and none of the companies would even give a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I am with the AA and have found them to be the best (always ask them if what they are offering is the cheapest).
    Also, I have found a number of times over the last few years that many companys quote a cheaper price for fully comp than for TPFT - dont ask me why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Why

char_dougal.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

toad wrote:
    Thanks guys! A lot of great information here, its good getting it from people who have actually owned bmws.

I think it's the insurance thats going to kill me, as I have never had a policy in my own name before. :( Also I have only had my full licence a year, so I guess that doesn't help at all either. I checked 123.ie and none of the companies would even give a quote.

Don't bother with online insurance quotes, they are hilariously stringent on what and who they will quote.

Ring Quinn Direct. People here will probably dance on my head for suggesting it, but I was 25 and they insured me on a 320i for less than 1,400 TPF+T in my first year of a policy in my own name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 toad

spockety wrote:
    Don't bother with online insurance quotes, they are hilariously stringent on what and who they will quote.

Ring Quinn Direct. People here will probably dance on my head for suggesting it, but I was 25 and they insured me on a 320i for less than 1,400 TPF+T in my first year of a policy in my own name.

I will do, maybe there is hope after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

The 320 has the older 2.0l straight 6 engine where the 520 has its replacement, a 2.2l straight 6 engine. Tax is €539 for the 320 and €722 for the 520 per year. Fuel consumption is pretty much the same. The official figure for city mileage is BETTER for the 520, which is 130kg heavier, which proves the new engine is much more efficient. Official fuel consumption (mix) is around 30mpg for both, but with a lot of city traffic this might sound a tad optimistic

In 2000, 320i was updated to a 2.2l M54 engine, which is as powerful as the outgoing 323i with 2.5l engine (170bhp). As to economy..... my older 323 turns in a quite respectable 34mpg when driven sensibly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mythago wrote:
    In 2000, 320i was updated to a 2.2l

On the continent in late 2000, in Ireland / UK not until 2001, hence the different engines of the 2000 320 and 2001 520

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

528i wrote:
    525i would be the ideal choice for overtaking starbo tooorbo's dauwn da naas duel cabbageway.. bud. :cool:

only if you going over 100mph :D below it you will just get embarrassed by little cheap jap import with 1.3 engine

Advertisement