Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heskey in England squad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sigh...why are you even interested?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

i thinks its good to see heskey in the england team..

on form - he deserves his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

initial reaction: who the fúck is Hesley?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    initial reaction: who the fúck is Hesley?

:eek:

Lol my thoughts exactly. If Heskey is playing well he deserves a chance. I presume he is playing well right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did'nt spot the typo! Heskey scored in todays game and seems to have settled into the Brum side pretty well. Only one goal recently but had a good run in December.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Its is proof that players at "big" clubs get more of a chance at international level. He is playing at least as well as he did last year when he was an England regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its is proof that players at "big" clubs get more of a chance at international level. He is playing at least as well as he did last year when he was an England regular.

My thoughts exactly. Seems things might be changing though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am a fan of Heskey. He has great speed and power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

If Old Slaphead had any sense he'd have called up Peter Crouch. Heskey had his chance and never took it bar the odd decent game once in a blue moon.

However, Crouch is bang on form and deserves a shot in the squad. I think he'd be a handful upfront alongside Owen or Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

good news for norn iron then, heskey is rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

OMG, SGE might aswell have named his squad without any right backs. No holding midfielder in the entire squad? Kerr named 3 in his squad. England should pay Eriksson whatever is left on his contract and get rid of him asap.

eirebhoy wrote:
    OMG, SGE might aswell have named his squad without any right backs. No holding midfielder in the entire squad? Kerr named 3 in his squad. England should pay Eriksson whatever is left on his contract and get rid of him asap.

at international level - steve gerrard is seen as the holding midfielder.. and Lesley King is the backup (in this squad anyway).

i can see them play a 4-3-3 against the north

Robinson
    Neville--Ferdinand--Terry-- Cole
    --Beckham--Gerrard--Lampard--
    ----Defoe--Rooney--Owen----

TBH, I haven't really seen much of England in the qualifiers but Gerrard certainly didn't play the holding role at the Euro's. I'm basically judging Sven from the Euro's as they have near enough the same team still so I presumed if Sven didn't play a holder than he's not playing one now. Petrov was a makeshift holding midfielder for Bulgaria at the Euro's and he played more passes in Bulgaria's 5-0 defeat to Sweden than any England player did in any of their 4 matches (including their 120 minutes vs Portugal).

Fair enough, Gerrard may be playing the holding role now but I doubt he's as good in that position than other players who didn't even make the squad.

eirebhoy wrote:
    TBH, I haven't really seen much of England in the qualifiers but Gerrard certainly didn't play the holding role at the Euro's..

he did...

Beckham--Gerrard--Lampard--Scholes

was the line-up for most of the matches. with gerrard holding.

Lampard was scoring the goals from Midfield - the attacking central midfielder..

Well then, he's not the best of holding midfielders and Nicky Butt would be a much better option. If he was holding he should be always there for someone to pass to and shouldn't be averaging just 45 passes a match in the Euro's. Drop Beckham and play Lampard and Gerrard in the centre with Butt.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Well then, he's not the best of holding midfielders and Nicky Butt would be a much better option. If he was holding he should be always there for someone to pass to and shouldn't be averaging just 45 passes a match in the Euro's. Drop Beckham and play Lampard and Gerrard in the centre with Butt.

I agree with bringing in Butt.. was excellent for england during the last world cup. But I can never see SGE dropping Beckham.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

If Old Slaphead had any sense he'd have called up Peter Crouch. Heskey had his chance and never took it bar the odd decent game once in a blue moon.

However, Crouch is bang on form and deserves a shot in the squad. I think he'd be a handful upfront alongside Owen or Rooney.

I agree. Crouch would give options to SGE when Plan-A inevitably fails. Hell Crouch could BE plan B considering SGE doesn't even have one.

Advertisement