Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline OECD Broadband Price Report

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Feedback to the Reg about the Irelandoffline report story.

Irish consumer group IrelandOffline was ranting this week that the emerald isle has some of the most expensive broadband in the world. There was no sympathy out there among Reg readers in the Seychelles, Gibraltar or South Africa:
    Oh, how amusing!

40 Euros for 512k broadband - expensive?! You have no idea...

I work for a small international school in the Seychelles and we recently upgraded our Internet connection from dial-up to 'broadband'. Here's the deal (the best and only one available here!)...

256k link 4500 Seychelles Rupees per month

There are SR10 to 1GBP - yes! That's £450 per month for 256k access!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

You lucky sods in Ireland don't know you're born!

Steve

I'm not sure the Irish realise just how lucky they are. Broadband prices in South Africa are in the region of £80 per month for a 512kb line capped at 3gb! Have a look at http://www.mybroadband.co.za and see just how unlucky and unhappy South Africans are!

RH

Heh - Ireland thinks they have it bad - try here in Gibraltar! £59 a month for a 512/128k line that's up and down all the time...
    Catherine (who's thankful her job pays for her home connection)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I would have no problem with the 4Mbps comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It was reported on RTE Radio 1 and (Dublin’s) FM104.

Good job guys, finally people know the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

damien.m wrote:
    Well, our report was based on the basic entry level packages. We were doing our best to compare 512k packages against 512k. I'm sure we can easily go abck over the providers on the list and find their 1mb packages and compare it that way. Though I suppose taking the higher end packages would be better again for comparison sakes ? :)
    Exactly, that's why it's not totally fair to use certain metrics. We'd still be at 512K if Smart hadn't stepped up.
    Metrics like price per Kbps doesn't take into account contention, caps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Totally open to suggestions as how to do the next table by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

damien.m wrote:
    Well, our report was based on the basic entry level packages.

The report should concentrate solely on the entry level packages available from the 'incumbent' or copper monopolist in each country because most DSL subscribers have that no matter where they are .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

To push my own agenda, I would prefer a graph with multiple speeds to highlight the pathetic overpriced service offerings in this country at the higher speeds. And I agree, let's stick with incumbents and their ADSL-based offerings. Their pricing ultimately needs to reflect the market reality in their country eventhough they're always the most expensive. That applies here too. Eircom is a lot more expensive than UTV or whoever the cheapest provider is in Ireland so it all evens out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What types of broadband to include depends on who you are trying to influence.

If you are trying to influence Eircom, then compare the DSL of Eircom with the DSL of the other incumbents since Eircom only have control of their own infrastructure.

I would argue, however, that Eircom don't really give a damn about what ordinary people think. After all, most of these people have nowhere else to go. What Eircom are worried about is what ComReg think and what DCMNR think.

When McRedmond engages with the media it is in order to influence ComReg and DCMNR because in a monopolised market only the regulator and the government have the power to change things.

It is the regulator and the government, I would suggest, that IOFFL is also trying to influence.

Now, assuming that the goal of IOFFL is make convenient and affordable broadband widely available, I would suggest that what is compared is whatever is widely available and popular in each country, be that DSL, cable or other technology.

The reason for this is that there are two perceptions to be avoided if ComReg, DCMNR or some other body are to be influenced. The first is a nerdy fixation with a particular technology. The second is the perception of eircom Eircom bashers. Both of these possible perceptions work against the ability of IOFFL to influence. IOFFL needs clear in its goals.

Be technology neutral is my advice. If I want broadband then I don't give a damn how it is delivered. I just need to be able to get it in a cheap, convenient way.

Advertisement