Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Ireland, Damn Bands!!!

Options
  • 21-03-2005 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

No bands come to Ireland
    I know im exageratting, but bands come to the uk and tour full tours and cant be bothered for one lousy date in our lickle green land of lepraucans
    and then when magically a band does come its over 18s
    im not a little kid
    i wont get hurt
    i wont be drinking, well not at a gig or b4 hand because why would you?
    i dont see what a couple months difference it makes
    age is just a number
    it annoys me when friends who couldnt care less about the bands can go to see them and i cant
    urgh
    thank you for listening lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

most places don't care about ages.

well i know the ambassador, olympia don't.

what bands are you talking about here. name and shame them

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The only venue that underage people can go to, would be the Ambassador, which sometimes lets kids in, at some all-age gigs (eg; Fear Factory last year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

all the bands i like come here regulary :p mwaaha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Sadly if the law says you have to be 18 that's it. It's not to screw over the young folk, it's due to the fact that you're not meant to be on licensed premises and insurance reasons. And a lot of bands don't come to Ireland because the costs of getting here to play one (two if they were feeling saucy) shows might be too much for them. But a lot of great bands do come here and as mentioned, if they play the Olympia, Ambassador, Vicar St., RDS or the Point you can easily get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Robbo wrote:
    (Extra Expense + Gouging from promoters and venues + small population) x (1/Filthy Lucre) = Lack of Bands.

tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Jammer wrote:
    all the bands i like come here regulary :p mwaaha
    lol same here, since late 2003 biffy clyro have been to ireland 4 times, i've went to three of them and i'm going to them in april again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've never been asked for ID getting into a gig, they say ID required but I've never been asked, ok, I've always looked older than my age, and I didn't go to many when I was U18, but still, I've never seen it. Try anyway, if you don't get in sell your ticket to a tout or to someone else and enjoy the gig!

Cremo wrote:
    lol same here, since late 2003 biffy clyro have been to ireland 4 times, i've went to three of them and i'm going to them in april again.

Two that spring to my mind are Counting crows (saw them 4 times in 4 months), and Jesse Malin (did a few gigs in The Village - good venue!), both fairly small popularity wise and american, so happy they thought of coming to ireland!

Your a CC nut too? I saw them the 3 olympia dates and the point too:) hehe, and the year before I saw them in Belfast on the 17th Jan and Point on the 18th. Slane and Fitzgerald Stadium too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 junior2412

anybody here want to start a petition to keep Counting Crows as far away from Ireland as possible? :confused:

• Advertisement

Can you back that up? I am open to all kinds of genres as long as the music is good.

What artists would you be into yourself?

cormie wrote:
    Your a CC nut too? I saw them the 3 olympia dates and the point too:) hehe, and the year before I saw them in Belfast on the 17th Jan and Point on the 18th. Slane and Fitzgerald Stadium too

yeah, been to all the shows since Slane. Great live band!

new album can't be much longer now...

I have recordings of those 3 olympia gigs if you would like copies?

@Karmand - I went to see a few bands in The Village when i was 17 (5 or 6months ago now), and there was no hassle. I generally get asked for ID when going anywhere in town now..

I do too:) I also have the point(Self recorded) I wonder do we have the same olympia recordings?

edit:you were at The Waterfront and The Point too? Were you on the cc forums? what was your nick?

ARGH..the most recent point gig? if so, me wants!

It's only mp3 now, I recorded it direct to MP3 with my iRiver. And mods, this is legal, go to countingcrows.com, they have a big bootleg section, if you want it I can send it to you over the net:)

cormie wrote:
    It's only mp3 now, I recorded it direct to MP3 with my iRiver. And mods, this is legal, go to countingcrows.com, they have a big bootleg section, if you want it I can send it to you over the net:)

Yeah, i dont really care about all the stuff they go on about in the bootleg thing about FLAC/MP3/APE...i can never tell the difference.

Would be very cool if u could send it.. [//rubs his new broadband connection//]

pm me your email address, gonna try this yousendit.com yolk!

I don't care about the flac stuff they go on with either, I got a bunch of boots off someone and converted them straight to mp3 for my iRiver and MP3 discman at the time.

I gave the intervals etc my own titles (She shat on me) etc:)

Ok, I'm trying to send it now. Who knows how long it will take so don't wait up for it. My laptop has been turning off for no reason and irregular intervals lately too, not to mention my crappy broadband connection since I updated drivers causing a problem on my laptop. Replaced it with another problem :rolleyes: you'll get it eventually. It's a zip file.

thanks man, appriciated. Think the holiday in spain at the end of that concert was one of my favourite concert experiences :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Cremo wrote:
    Damn right! Voodoo's gonna be class. Only other gig I saw them play was in tbmc. They were amazing, even though I knew only one track :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Karmand

I know Biffy Clyro have came loads of times, but theyre one of the only bands, big enough bands anyway that do actually tours of ireland.
    Last year i could only see them once in the ambassador.
    I know that its part of the licencing law that under 18s arent allowed in a licensed premises after 9 but i still find it frustrating.
    I know as well that some venues do all age shows but its often to bands that dont appeal to me like Funeral for a Friend.
    Because bands like Biffy Clyro will be playing small venues, theres little chance of being be able to see them for the next few months,
    Im going to try for April anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Father Jack

Have to say i cant complain ne more, i used to but this year is looking gud, already seen V.R. and MEGADETH, in a while i'll be goin to slayer, then anthrax, and maiden, and for my more mellow side the foos, greenday and the rockin audioslave r playin at oxegen!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sarky wrote:
    tbh.
    I am teh famous!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ppl are onl stooped from getting into slayer and sepultura in ireland.......
    bring on furyfest 05!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Obzer

Cremo wrote:

somethin happened in the ambasitor a week before motor head and they suddenly decided to not let anyone under 18 in.
    Now all the concerts there are 18+.
    So after getttin tickets to motorhead i couldnt get in and i missed Megadeth :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

i feel the same and im roughly the same age i think, nearly 18. its so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Not very happy that NIN are playing manchester and glasgow and not dublin. Same with A Perfect Circle last year, they played seven dates in the UK and not one in Ireland. Both bands would sell out the point without a problem.

That's the one great thing about Oxegen, even if the line up isn't completely up to scratch and you don't get the same atmosphere if the gig was at the olympia or ambassador, it does bring in a lot of bands to Ireland that probably wouldn't play otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Cremo wrote:

Neither Dream Theatre nor Lordi are coming here :/ And I had to miss out on Dead Can Dance (Work), and will have to do the same with Tori Amos (Work).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

heard that at slayer they wouldnt accept an age card! only like a passport or a drivers license!

• Advertisement
Advertisement