Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another of my Amateur Websites

Options
  • 06-07-2001 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey ho,
    tis me again and i've come to seek your advice.
    I've already asked for different sites in the past and most of your advice has been most helpful.

So work your magic and tell me what ya think of my latest beauty.

http://gideon555.cjb.net/

Its basically a personal homepage pput up seen as how we're just finished the leavin etc and have somewhere to keep intouch, all be itin a mock/humerous fashion.

I know it has a black background and that ya prefere pastals most of u's but besides thatwht ya think? what ya recommend.

I haven't bothered playing match maker between browsers as nearly all viewing it will be using explorer at a higher res'
    1024*768 n upwards.

Any hew any tips critism's would be gratefully appricated. Most things are working by now just the odd link or that to finish i think then its going public so to speak, lettin ppl know about it.

Anyways, i shut up now so ya can go look.

Cheers,
    Gideon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Seems fine for the purpose and target audience except for the fact that, for me anyway, there's a JavaScript error on every page.

The source of the problem is relatively easy to find. You seem to have pasted a JavaScript script from an email... each line of it is preceded with a ">" character, as follows:
    [b]
    <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    > function stopError()
    > {
    > return true;
    > }
    > something something something
    > // -->
    > </script>
    [/b]

Apart from that - you did say the site was intended for a bunch of people using high-res ... well then the icons on the "Funnies" page are much too small... have you considered using thumbnails?

Some of the stuff on the "Pics" page would surely be copyrighted to Microsoft. If you're not worried about this, fire away smile.gif ... if you are any way competent in graphic design, I'd suggest replacing them.

Zat is all...

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Well first of all its a personal page so as long as it looks good to you then its grand.

BUT.. now for my criticisms/horror:

wahh orange scroll bar.
    wahh orange links (the mouse-over color is nice(r)) that dont change when you've visited the link.. (grrr).
    wahh text size, a particular news headline is smaller than the actual news text... not right. increase it by one.
    wahh links at the top aren't centered.

logos damn cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

I'd convert those .bmp's to gifs, the file sizes are a bit modem-unfriendly smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I quite like that orange scrollbar actually, goes well with the black background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

okay where to start,
    got rid of the errors with my ickle script, keepin my little icons on the funnies page, i thought about thumbs but i'm gonna have loads of links there andit will be just quicker and mmmm i think theres more of a surprise in what the pic is gonna be. A bit childish maybe, but we all love surprises. I changed the Pictures section too and got rid of the Windows images and changed them to something else, which i think looks pretty cool now. I had to use pixel sized tables for it tho instead of %'s so not sure whatit like at other res' but should be okay at fairly high ones.
    OH i did get the script through e-mail. smile.gif

mmmmmm, changed that orange scroll bar for a blue one, not as painfull to ur eyes u poor thing. wink.gif but i wasn't sure of it anyhew. I'm keeping my orange links tho, i like the way they glow with mouse over. Oh changed the visited links to a nice purply/blue.
    Changed the size of the headings in news etc too like ya said. Not centering the links under the banner like them off center, i'm sure they will become centered as more are added. which they probally will be.

Still have to change those bitmaps to jpg's plannin on doingit anyway just wanted to get it all up first.

All links working cept for 'LInks' funny enough and 'messageboard' which is still too orange for my likin. Check out the contact/form i like that too.

Been it at it a while tonight couldn't sleep.
    Ahhhh by the way Paint Shop Pro7 is pretty damn good i used it for most stuffand my banner. Has loads of effects way more than any before i think and especially the lights one.

The banner i made was made from a crappy old gif of the yin yang, just jazzed it up a bit.

Anyhew,
    if ya spot anything else i'd love to know, especially with that message board, colours mainly its annoyin me.

CHeers again,
    Gideon.

http://gideon555.cjb.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i like the text

Advertisement