Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spilt Milk

Options
  • 21-03-2005 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

from the Sunday Independent...

THE long-awaited alternative rock music radio station for Dublin may be delayed for months as the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) faces into a major legal battle with a losing bidder - backed by Boomtown Rat and Live Aid founder, Sir Bob Geldof.

The winning station, Phantom FM (whose shareholders include U2 boss Paul McGuinness) was due to begin broadcasting in July, but has been left in limbo because of the court proceedings.

Scrollside Ltd, trading as ZED FM, last week received leave from the High Court to seek, via a judicial review, an order quashing the decision by the BCI to grant the alternative rock licence for Dublin to Phantom FM.

If successful, the legal action could pave the way for a completely new application process for the much sought-after licence which advertisers believe has a huge potential audience.

A successful legal action would also severely damage the credibility of the BCI. The Commission has already indicated it will "vigorously defend its decision" to grant the licence to Phantom.

In his High Court affidavit, former FM104 boss Dermot Hanrahan, who along with Niall Stokes of Hot Press and Sir Bob Geldof was behind the ZED FM bid, makes a number of serious allegations.

Mr Hanrahan accuses the BCI of attempting to "sanitise" Phantom, which was formerly a pirate station.

On learning that Phantom had been awarded the contract, Scrollside was "most shocked and concerned".

Phantom FM was established as an illegal (pirate) radio station, which broadcast in the Dublin region from 1998 onwards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

Advertising, the end of our days

And Geldof, you always were a self-righteous *****r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

What crappy news looks like I'll have to stick to my own collection for another year or so at least

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I wonder how much input Geldof really has on these matters, from what I've read this zed fm candidate is essentially hanrahan and stokes's baby.

At the end of the day, the better candidate won and stokes/hanrahan are being sore losers, dragging out a fair and transparent process which will ultimately benefit no-one. Phantom FM were clearly better suited to this licence because of its experience, respect, integrity and committment to the dublin rock scene. Add to that solid financial backing from McGuinness and Co, and there's your winner. That sounds pretty fair to me, and hopefully any judge that looks at this case will think so too.

Advertisement