Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Capri

• 21-03-2005 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Ive always had my eye on owning one, specifically the 280 Brooklands, limited edition, 1038 were made, apparently about 400 are left, obviously sourcing from the UK is the obvious option, and with some luck id be looking at getting one at the end of the summer.

In relation to the car, does anyone have any experience/advice about ownership or where to look for one?

Edit: pic below for anyone interested

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

There's an Irish capri club, more details on the site

http://www.webeireann.net/capri/

The site works best through Microsoft Internet Explorer.

try this maybe http://www.webeireann.net/capri/homeframeset.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

There was one in the last classic auction in merlin i just might be able to get the name of the buyer (im well conected) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I was always more of an Opel Manta fan when growing up, but I have come to like the (late) Capri's in recent years - especially the 280.
    Good choice !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

knife_fighter, do you know if it was a brooklands? and what sort of price was he looking for? and what sort of connections are those you have ;)

I was always more of a Capri fan, the Manta and the Capri had a bit of rivalry alright, but i quite liked the older Mantas aswell, the GTE was the special one wasnt it?

The Northern Ireland capri club seems to have a few Brooklands, so i might look into that angle, i doubt ill find much around these parts in good condition, any capri for sale here has always been in bits, apparently theres one unregistered one in the UK with a price tag of £20,000 sterling attached to it, i think that would be stretching my budget a bit! most of them seem to be going for around £6-7k
    Without ringing up, would anyone have any idea what the VRT on it would be? i tried the online calculator but the capri isnt on it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'd say you would be best to ring and get an exact quote.

Re the Manta
    I like the 1976-on models.

I've attached GTE pics........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I know a guy selling a Capri. He restores old cars so it's probably in excellent condidtion. It's a '69 2.2, but I've forgotton everything else he told me. If you pm me your email address\phone number I'll pass it on to him.

(The car's in Cork, btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

My friend stores Capri's for his mate. One is a Brooklands 280..(only 8000 miles if I remember correctly)
    The guy who owns them brings a lot of Capri's in from the UK.. he is with the Capri Club of Ireland I think, he always has some good ones for sale..
    (Galway)

The Capri club of Ireland number is listed here,
    Cassic Clubs

As for the VRT... the revenue have a calculator on there site.. also I've found them helpful if you just mail then the details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

There's a guy not too far from me that has THREE Capri's in his driveway!. They all look mint, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Blitzkrieger, thanks for that but the one i have my heart set on is the 280 Brooklands which was around 1986 and 2.8 litre

Silvera, nice pics of the manta, i see you've dedicated a thread to it now anyway!

Ill be getting in contact with the Capri Club of Ireland aswell,ther might be a few gems hidden somewhere on this fair isle, as i said it probably wont be till the end of the summer by the time ill be able to get one so ive got plenty of time to find the right one!

Saw two Capris today actually (neither of them Brooklands unfortunatly), which is strange because its a rare occasion to see one, first was a white one in stillorgan and the second a grey/silver one on the M50, its good to see a few of them floating about still

ill prob give the revenue a ring tomorrow and see what the damage will be, cant imagine it being too bad tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement