Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV web browsing

Options
  • 28-06-2001 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

You know these set-top boxes that you can browse thru you telly with, Unison.ie would be an example. Do they support ActiveX and Java? Or can you only use server-side processing for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If anything is server side then webTv should support it since its the server doing the work and not the TvBrowser. I dont think alot of Javascript and Css work on them but thats just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by damnyanks:
    If anything is server side then webTv should support it since its the server doing the work and not the TvBrowser. </font>

Yes I know. I suppose if they don't support Javascript then that rules out vbscript which rules out ActiveX which no suprise really although I'm sure Microsoft are planning on putting all TVBrowsers out of business. *breaths in* Do they have a Java VM though? (probably not)

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 29-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

So that basically means any dynamic content is going to propose a problem. Has anyone used one of these things?. The reason I'm wondering is coz my Grandfather (fair play to him) wants to get online without buying a PC. I would hope that he could use Hotmail or something to check/send mail. But then again he would be the type of person that would bring the unit back to the shop, eat the **** off the nearest store clerk, just because a JS error presented itself. So we can't afford to have that happen.

;-phobos-)

I didn't know they owned the WebTV company. But why would they want to put WebTV compatition out of business? It would seem that MS want to put all compatition out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil Phil:
    I'm sure Microsoft are planning on putting all TVBrowsers out of business.
    </font>

That's a fairly strong claim... can you back that up?... and... why exactly would they do that when they own the WebTV company???

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 08-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil Phil:
    It would seem that MS want to put all compatition out of business.</font>

Fair enough... but as with Eircom, there's no need for constantly MS-bashing just for the sake of it...

... WebTV isn't "competition" - it's a PART of Microsoft... therefore I doubt they want to run TV Browsing out of business.

Remember - they also own a controlling portion of ntl: - who are quite strongly into digital TV and the Internet.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

em, ok.

Advertisement