Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for UTV Talk & their Broadband

• 21-03-2005 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

If I choice UTV CLICKSILVER package, there is an offer for UTV Talk as mentioned. Is that my total monthly rental became = Eircom fixed line normal monthly rental (24.30/mon ?) + UTV CLICKSILVER (29.99/mon) + UTV Talk (24.18/mon ?) :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

No, your total monthly would be €29.99 for the Clicksilver (which includes UTV Talk), €24.30 (or whatever it is) for Eircom's monthly 'line rental' - plus the costs of your calls.

My calls with UTV last month cost me €2.11. Your call charges will only be for those not covered under UTV Talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ericzheng

Thanks newgrange for the quick reply!
    Is that UTV a right choice for Broadband and when the updated offer (1mb) come out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I find UTV good. I am not a heavy downloader, so I do not find the 8 GB cap restrictive. I don't know if they intend revising their download limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They seem more content to sit around scratching their balls rather than actually come up with some new product pricing/offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

PiE wrote:
    They seem more content to sit around scratching their balls rather than actually come up with some new product pricing/offerings.

On increasing the D/L speeds their "spokeperson" on their newsgroup said:

"As I've stated, I know the product development team are certainly
    'modelling' away and as soon as more info is available, I'll make sure
    it's posted here."

This was on the 15th March and still no news from them.

@ericzheng. If you are thinking of joining UTV you should bear in mind that UTV's earlier enthusiasm for coming on here and sharing their ideas has long since faded.

UTV were once a market leader with new ideas.

Now I get the impression that they have adopted a "wait and see what the others are doing" attitude before deciding anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

PiE wrote:

They would want to get there act together and give us the details of the new offers otherwise they will lose any potential new customers to there rivals.

@Lionheart, actually I really need Internet at moment, do you think it's a good time to join in UTV currently? Because I think they at least will give me three months for free trial and I still can get the benefits for new offering if released, right?

Thanks for the suggestions from everybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Yeah thats right, if you do join before the end of March you will get 3 months free or 4 if you choose to stay with them and when they do upgrade you will have the benifet of that. And you get a pretty good phone service aswell.

But if utv dont announce something soon they will have alot of unhappy customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

ericzheng wrote:
    I really need Internet at moment

they'll keep you waiting at least a month and a half before they deliver the modem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Arabel wrote:
    But if utv dont announce something soon they will have alot of unhappy customers.

quite so.. my teeth are already beginning to grind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

I got a new computer just before xmas. Its a pentium 4 3Ghz with HT technology. on the utv clicksilver FAQ is says that you must tell them if you have this particular processor as its incompatible with USB modems. Anybody know what the deal with this is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 driver1

I ordered utv clicksilver broadband on March 14th and had the modem delivered on the 18th. It took about 10 minutes to install. no problems so far.

pushpop wrote:
    I got a new computer just before xmas. Its a pentium 4 3Ghz with HT technology. on the utv clicksilver FAQ is says that you must tell them if you have this particular processor as its incompatible with USB modems. Anybody know what the deal with this is?
    With regards ot the P4 with hyperthreading enabled, the modem we now suppy is a Creative broadband blaster which has both USB and Ethernet connectivity. If the P4 pc has ethernet then there will be no problem in using this equipment.

@ Driver1: thats unreal! I ordered a month and a half ago with no update, so I told them to feck off!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

driver1 wrote:
    I ordered utv clicksilver broadband on March 14th and had the modem delivered on the 18th. It took about 10 minutes to install. no problems so far.

That is definitely some sort of record!!! You should buy a lottery ticket while you are on this run!

Seriously though I would have thought that logistically that would be almost impossible.

Thats amazing, they delivered mine on the 20th day. I was waiting ages for them to deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 driver1

Both my sister and brother also applied for Clicksilver broadband in the last month (as their exchanges were recently activated-all in Donegal). They too had their modems dispatched within a week. I would have had mine a day earlier except for St. Particks Day as they e-mailed me that they had dispatched the modem on Tuesday. Perhaps anyone that applied in the last couple of weeks are getting a faster service or maybe Eircom have speeded up the time it takes them to do the line test.

driver1 wrote:
    Both my sister and brother also applied for Clicksilver broadband in the last month (as their exchanges were recently activated-all in Donegal). They too had their modems dispatched within a week. I would have had mine a day earlier except for St. Particks Day as they e-mailed me that they had dispatched the modem on Tuesday. Perhaps anyone that applied in the last couple of weeks are getting a faster service or maybe Eircom have speeded up the time it takes them to do the line test.

Well its not the line test its the enabling of the line. You definitely ordered on the 14th March?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

ericzheng wrote:
    @Lionheart, actually I really need Internet at moment, do you think it's a good time to join in UTV currently? Because I think they at least will give me three months for free trial and I still can get the benefits for new offering if released, right?

Thanks for the suggestions from everybody!

If I really wanted Broadband right now, I would not go to UTV.

Remember,

1. UTV have been the slowest to respond to the latest news on download speeds. We are still waiting to hear from them. .

2. UTV will charge you no matter how little you exceed the cap.

3 UTV are intent in getting you to sign up for 12 months and then treat you like you have no option but to stay with them. In that they are making a big mistake as I know many will walk when the 12 months are up.

4. UTV came on boards.ie with great enthusiasm when they first launched, but now that they have had some market penetration, boards.ie no longer matters to them.

5. UTV have a newsgroup but their spokesperson has little or no power to do anything. He's always to busy even to ask the UTV powerbods questions on behalf of the customers. In other words, he couldn't be bothered.

If I was you, I'd try one of the others and then make my mind up in three months time.

Lionheart wrote:

Remember,

1. UTV have been the slowest to respond to the latest news on download speeds. We are still waiting to hear from them. .

3 UTV are intent in getting you to sign up for 12 months and then treat you like you have no option but to stay with them. In that they are making a big mistake as I know many will walk when the 12 months are up.

4. UTV came on boards.ie with great enthusiasm when they first launched, but now that they have had some market penetration, boards.ie no longer matters to them.

5. UTV have a newsgroup but their spokesperson has little or no power to do anything. He's always to busy even to ask the UTV powerbods questions on behalf of the customers. In other words, he couldn't be bothered.

If I was you, I'd try one of the others and then make my mind up in three months time.

Nobody has criticised UTV as often as me but in fairness your point at no 5 is totally wrong. Carl has consistently bent over backwards to help UTV customers for ages and answers problems for posters at all hours of the day and night often from home. He is one of UTV's few goodpoints. And if the powers that be wont tell him what they are going to do that's not his fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

When I signed up with UTV I got my modem within about 4 days.

In relation to the Hyper Threading I too saw on the website that it was incompatible with the modem, but forgot this when I installed my modem. It is still enabled and I havent had any trouble - so I dont know what the warning is about?

• Advertisement

Where and what is the newsgroup?

And also, I'm sure its been asked a million times but what is the Upload limit wiht UTV or is there one?

Arabel wrote:
    Where and what is the newsgroup?

And also, I'm sure its been asked a million times but what is the Upload limit wiht UTV or is there one?

In whatever programme you use for newsgroups - most people use outlook express add news.utvinternet.com and then when you download the list of newsgroups you will find utv.support there. UTV dont provide a full news service so there are not that many to download.

Ah I gotcha thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

pushpop wrote:

UTV now provide a Creative Labs Blaster modem/router so the HT incompatability isn't an issue anymore AFAIK. That warning was referring to the old USB only Zyxel modem they used to provide.
    Two of my friends ordered Clicksilver the same night about a fortnight ago and both received their modems on the 5th working day after. One turned out to be faulty and there was a replacement in the post the following day. Nothing wrong with that.
    I've been with them since October 2003 and never had a problem :D

Thanks for your suggestions!

@Lionheart,

1. I think they should release the news within three months period, so I can wait using the three months free trial.

2. Actually I am not a really download fans for whole days, so their cap probably enough for me. Are their provide real-time statistic for the downloaded data?

3. If the price and stability of Network is acceptable, I can stay over 12 months.

I have no idea with point 4 and 5.

@ My name is Mud,
    Actually I have my own ADSL router which bring from UK, so just worry about the time to active my ADSL line but don't care the modem. When and how will they email/phone me the username and password for ADSL?

ericzheng wrote:
    Thanks for your suggestions!

2. Actually I am not a really download fans for whole days, so their cap probably enough for me. Are their provide real-time statistic for the downloaded data?

Yes d/l statistics are available on the site they also give you the option of being cut off if you go over the cap rather than being charged. And when your line is activated they will email you your sign on and password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

driver1 wrote:

I got mine last September and only took 5 days to arrive and set up in 5 minutes and no problems so far. The people who don't have UTV are always the people who have all the opinions :rolleyes:

UTV is by far the cheaper at €29.99 per month.

GRRRRR!!!!

I ordered UTV Clicksilver on the 15th of Feb. It turns out my line was activated for Broadband on the 16th of Feb (after numberous phone calls).

Its now the 23rd March. 3 Helpdesk tickets and 4 phonecalls, and my modem is still not going to be delivered until "a later date"

I cancelled the order with UTV cos of their unbelivable crapness in DELIVERING A FECKIN MODEM!!!!

4 Months Free? BOLLOX. Im already down a free month... feckin nordys

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

I ordered mine 7 working days ago, it arrived today and I am using it now, after only taking about 10 mins to setup. They are the cheapest and the free phone calls with UTV phone is a big plus too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mancman

Lionheart wrote:

Remember,

Wild guess here but I'd say your one of those poeple that sends an email to a support facility and moans big time when you don't get a reply in 10 minutes.

Are you super efficient in your job or do burger king not mind if you take your time ;)

I've been on utv for a number of years now and I find that their products and support to back it up are 2nd to none. Anytime I've dealt with them I always tend to find the reason for all the hold ups are down to impatient people on the phone 10 times a day cos they haven't got what they wanted via the 10 emails/faxes/pigeons they sent 5 mins ago.

Wee bit of advise for ya m8, take a long hard look at your own job before you throw the feckin rattle out of the pram in future!

and instead of coming on messageboards and acting the big nappy and saying your going to cancel this that and the other...do us all a favour and just do it...we ain't gonna talk ya out of it.

I hear eircom/esat/iol and any of the rest are just bending over backwards to look after you ;)

Advertisement