Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for UTV Talk & their Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

If they don't upgrade, I'm out. As I'm sure everyone else will be.

Can't believe they'd do this, but they have had a nightmare trying to get 512k to be stable for everyone.

If UTV is 29.99 for 512k and Smart is 2mb for 35, then they are finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

what i don't understand is don't they see that people will want to leave them? that people like us are talking on these forums about leaving etc...
    There must be something blocking them if they still have released any news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Scottish wrote:
    If they don't upgrade, I'm out. As I'm sure everyone else will be.

Can't believe they'd do this, but they have had a nightmare trying to get 512k to be stable for everyone.

If UTV is 29.99 for 512k and Smart is 2mb for 35, then they are finished.

Not a fair comparison as Smart is unavailable in the sticks. You have to sign up to a "trigger of interest". Strikes me Smart are very Dublin-centric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Subc wrote:
    what i don't understand is don't they see that people will want to leave them? that people like us are talking on these forums about leaving etc...
    There must be something blocking them if they still have released any news

What is the usual downtime if i wanted to change from UTV to Eircom? I'm so close to cancelling clicksilver.Would it be a shorter downtime period if i went to Eircom?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

OK, it seems most ISP's are upgrading everybody to the new speeds. They already stated they are, and about the new products etc. The only ones left are UTV, who are keeping very quiet about it all. Carl only responded after a lot of pressure being put on him on the (dead) newsgroup. From the idea im getting, they dont have to give you the new speeds -- you can be kept at 512. I would say UTV will *offer* new speeds to new customers, but probably not upgrade exsisting customers free or without hassle (if they are upgrading, they will most likely tie you into a contract again).

I cant imagine them raising there caps either. If so, not without a new contract.

I would say though they will offer somewhat of a new product - but for exsisting customers nothing special without being tied to a new contract.

I dont see why UTV wont say anything about it - either there saying nothing in the hope people will stay on longer to find out (which seems unlikely, as most said they will leave asap unless UTV say whats going on) OR they are going to offer something decent but its either not ready or its some sort of supprise.

Do UTV have the capabilites anyway? I mean, new products being offered to a service where it takes a half an hour for them to answer your call, and weeks (if not months) to answer emails. The newsgroup is pretty much dead with only less then a handfull posting and Carl skips the awkward newer threads and goes back to the Stone age threads (Carl is very helpfull, but it must be said he is avoiding a lot of questions) and she is the ONLY support rep. there (besides "UTV" or some other muppet announcing work on exchanges and expected down time).

UTV are loosing customers fairly fast by keeping silent it seems - but also because of the dire service and problems (some) people are getting.

Question: Will they flop or not? Unlikely. Not yet anyway.

Smart aint a great hope for many as they wont be available in most of our ages for months, and it seems Eircom aint being a great help in this case either.

I loose my faith in UTV gradually...

- Sully

• Advertisement

mabey there waiting for a bunch of people to leave UTV, then they come out with an amazing package and the people who left will come back but have to sign in a new contract lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

If UTV can pull anything even half decent out of their ar,se then I'd have no problem signing a contract. But they have to make a move soon. I think I'll have to ring them at some stage but right now I'm not up to listening to a robot for an hour before they tell me that they dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

They cant be that stupid as to not be at least on par with eircoms new service. Surely they must have something up their sleeves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Horay, my UTV contract is up. Now to search for a decent isp

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I'm with UTV (cuurently cliksilver) since 2003 I think.
    I will wait untill Monday and if they do not come up with at least 1MB/16GB, I am cancelling my subscription and going either to IBB or IOL.
    Fed up with the silence of UTV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just posted in the support group:
    If the Eircom works go ahead as planned, then yep - everyone will be
    able to avail of the faster speeds (depending on the quality of your
    line, distance from exchange, etc).

Carl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's not worthy of a new thread dub, merging with the existing one.

Well at least thats a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

From the UTV newsgroup:
    Question:
    Are we getting the upgraded speeds this weekend like all the rest of the Broadband customers in Ireland? YES OR NO?

Answer from UTV Rep:
    [If the Eircom works go ahead as planned, then yep - everyone will be

Feel free to close this thread.
    It's just an FYI :D

Edit: OOOPS! Just noticed it HERE
    Forgive my blindness.
    Moriaity do your thang :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this distance from the exchange thing is worrying, im just over 2km from my exchange and altho im supposed to be getting a 2mb upgrade i dont think i'll see anything near those speeds. I read here somewhere last year that to get 2mb you have to be under 1km from the exchange to get the proper speed, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

dub45 wrote:
    Just posted in the support group:

If the Eircom works go ahead as planned, then yep - everyone will be
    Carl.

However this was also posted on the support group yesterday:
    Carl wrote:
    Technically everyone will be upgraded to the new speeds. Whether this
    stay in place when the new products roll out, I do not know [Before
    anyone begins to comment on how Eircom will not be releasing lower
    speed options, pls consider QoS - it's what ISP's have been using for
    years to resell bandwidth, and it's easily done on BB). As for the
    caps - again technically there's any number of options, but it'll be
    down to the product development team to make the decision.

It looks like UTV might even be considering throttling back on the speed. At least the thought has entered their heads.

How do they expect to keep customers if they do this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lionheart wrote:
    However this was also posted on the support group yesterday:

It looks like UTV might even be considering throttling back on the speed. At least the thought has entered their heads.

How do they expect to keep customers if they do this?

Yup. That was said before. But, if they can keep customers will the current service then they can keep them if they throttle speeds!

- Sully

Sully04 wrote:
    Yup. That was said before. But, if they can keep customers will the current service then they can keep them if they throttle speeds!

- Sully

They keep customers with their current service because it has double eircom's standard cap and its cheaper than the others too.

Right now I'm happy with their service, but if they throttle sppeds then I wont be happy.

Now that I think about it, if they throttled the speed and kept it at 512 but increasd the caps I'd be happy. But I dont see them doing that.

Actually, who is the CEO of UTV in Ireland?

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Sully04 wrote:
    Actually, who is the CEO of UTV in Ireland?

- Sully
    He's not the CEO, but this guy sounds like he is behind 'new products'.
    From http://www.digitalmedia.ie/judges2.html

"Jeremy Biggerstaff
    General Manager, utv internet
    Jeremy Biggerstaff joined UTV earlier this year as General Manager of UTV Internet and is responsible for driving company growth and developing innovative internet and telephony products. With more than 10 years IT and telecoms experience, Jeremy was previously Managing Director of Clarity Telecom, and formerly Sales Director with Energis Ireland."

• Advertisement

So hes in charge if I wanted to make a complaint to him? About the whole service in general?

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I'd imagine so, yes.

Know his email :D

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

my 2 cents:

after about a month and a half of waiting for eircom to connect a phone line, UTV modem arrived inside 10 working days. straightforward setup. no problems.

share the connection with my housemate tho, so we only have 4 gigs each. thats not a lot if you're buying games electronicaly.

hoorah, utv didnt shaft us with the upgrade. now I can kill my 8gb cap twice as fast :D

rymus wrote:
    hoorah, utv didnt shaft us with the upgrade. now I can kill my 8gb cap twice as fast :D
    rymus go with plus but thats a new contract i suppose
    i haev the 2mb upgrade still 16 gig cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Subc wrote:
    rymus go with plus but thats a new contract i suppose
    i haev the 2mb upgrade still 16 gig cap

How do you know it's a 16GB cap?

i may go with plus after I move house.... if I find i suddenly have more money than usual falling out of my ass.

plazzTT wrote:
    How do you know it's a 16GB cap?
    because they didn't change the cap?
    whats astonishing is UTV never sent an e-mail saying they would upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Subc wrote:
    because they didn't change the cap?
    whats astonishing is UTV never sent an e-mail saying they would upgrade

Yes, UTV have been hopelessly quiet about all this. They haven't said anything either way about the cap increasing (I think), and seeing as eircom are at least doubling all their caps, surely UTV can't be leaving it at 16GB. (UTV's website says that they're offering "Twice the download capacity of Eircom")

My Bandwidth Usage counter is still at 0MB anyway, but I'd like to hear a concrete answer from UTV on how much I can download this month.

Advertisement