Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any objections to getting rid of the wiki?

Options
  • 21-03-2005 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any objections to us dropping the WiKi from the website? It's only a home for spam right now, with very little (old) content. I think it's fair to say that no-one has the time to maintain it properly?

.cg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Eh, hang on. We're working on a new one. Bealtaine can tell you more. There's two wikis on the site now. One is new, one is old. I don't know which is which.

The new wiki will be open to some posters here so they can add content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The one I'm talking about is the one linked from the site (under the Link Us / Search) .. http://www.irelandoffline.org/wiki/ , and it looks manky, has a shed load of spam links in there (possible affecting Google ranking for IoffL), and any content I can find is mostly badly out of date.

If implementing a new one, fair enough, but ask the question "will it be maintained?", as I'm sure that was the idea for the current one. Look at boards' own WiKi.. not a whole lot in that one either, and there's a lot more subscribers. I would have thought we needed more end-user oriented guides/FAQs, rather than a technical glossary.

I'll leave the spam WiKi link then, until told otherwise.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I suggest someone remove the 'Bullet Points' page for a start...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

cgarvey wrote:
    The one I'm talking about is the one linked from the site (under the Link Us / Search) .. http://www.irelandoffline.org/wiki/ , and it looks manky, has a shed load of spam links in there (possible affecting Google ranking for IoffL), and any content I can find is mostly badly out of date.

If implementing a new one, fair enough, but ask the question "will it be maintained?",

The old wiki is about to retire, (poof!) into the dark night...
    The new improved wiki is being finalised as we speak(or type)...

The whole wiki thing is about letting the users maintain it, for
    the benefit of all...I've edited wikis all over the world on many
    diverse subjects:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Would it not be better just to use a reliable forum system like phpbb or xmb ? Give x amount of people moderator status and it basically runs itself with very little moderation ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For the record, I transferred everything from the PHPWiki into another application some time ago. AFAICR a MediaWiki installation was then requested, and I left it to IrelandOffline to transfer into that (although I seem to remember transferring some of the content myself). That was a couple of months ago, I don't know what's happened since then and I'm frankly too lazy to look at the filesystem.

Blitz, what you're outlining there is a sort of wikification of a forum, which kind of defeats the purpose. Wikimedia is an industrial strength Wiki application that allows everyone to contribute, with lots of control for managing abuse.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

dahamsta wrote:
    For the record, I transferred everything from the PHPWiki

Yup see that now (although not publicly) .. so when committee are ready, I'll just swap it over .. I just wanted to get rid of the spam, really. If it doesn't suceed again this time, we can always delete it later.

So committee, your eager webmaster awaits direction .. no pressure ;)

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

<Jean Luc Picard voice>Engage ! </Jean Luc Picard voice>

Advertisement