Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sound problem using a Skype adapter

• 21-03-2005 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I have a USB adapter which allows me to plug an ordinary telephone into my PC so that I can make Skype calls more conveniently. The problem is that it is a PC used for different things and once the adapter is plugged in and enabled, all sound goes through it. So, if I am on a call and the kids are playing a game, they don't hear the sound but I do.
    I know there are other ways to do this using different devices but I would like to see if this will work before buying an ethernet to pstn adapter.
    Is there a way of telling windows to only route Skype call audio through the adapter but not Java and Flash games on Firefox and any other sound that goes on with the PC?
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in windows XP , control panel , sounds you can choose which device to use for Audio and which for Voice, unless the app also has a option to choose sound device you could try there. I don't know if you also need to select preferred device only to stop it chaning over when the usb is removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Your USB adapter is detected as an audio device, presumably independent of the PC's sound card so there should be no issue.

In windows control panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, the sound playback and recording devices under Audio should be set to the PC sound card.

In Skype/File/Options/Hand, Handsets under Audio In, Audio Out (and presumably Ringing but not sure), set the device to your Usb adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks guys for the help. It all makes perfect sense when I read your replies. I will do all that and report back.

Advertisement