Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline on Newstalk 21/03/05 12.30

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Oh, by the way, actually looked up how much 10Mbit down would cost back home with the new packages to be introduced. 2x4mbit + 2 Mbit + 3 line rental = over 500 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

dahamsta wrote:
    What frustrates me most about kasintahan's comments isn't the fact that he's calling this as a win for Eircom, however, it's the language he uses to call it. He seems to almost respect his ability to decieve and obfuscate the truth. Such behaviour should never be applauded or highlighted, it should be shown up for what it is: Garbage. McRedmond is potty-mouthed with his "facts".

adam

I'm being a realist.
    This isn't a battle that will be won by a bunch of nerds with the inside track.

To win this you will have to get the public on board (and with them their respective politicians).
    To do this you need to be seen to be showing up eircom in the worst possible way.

Yes I repect McRedmond - he knows the public don't check the facts, he knows nothing sells better than tabloid style journalism (see http://www.nni.ie/circfigs5.htm)
    McRedmond doesn't need the best technical product, all he needs is public content with what he is offering. Politics is dirty, you wanna play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

kasintahan wrote:
    Look, i appreciate what your guys are doing.
    Hell, I directly benifit from it.

But winning a debate ISN'T ABOUT KNOWING YOU ARE RIGHT.
    It's about showing the opponent to be wrong and badly wrong.

McRedmond made a point, you challenged, he retorted with equal measures of "fact", confidence and persuasion whereupon you switched the facet of the argument. That made it look like you were losing.

Take a lesson from this man, he is a Jedi master of manipulation and crushed, killed and destroyed you in front of the average punter.

Are you of the Judean People's Front, or the People's Front of Judea???

Damien did a good job. Damien is a volunteer. And he is untrained in the arts of spin. McRedmond is a professional who receives over half a million euros (over €500,000) each year to defend eircom. For Damien, with no resources and a minimum of support to produce a report which fleshed McRedmond out of his lair is an achievement of significance. For Damien to hold his own on the airwaves with one of Ireland’s most polished media performers is a magnificent achievement.

Damien, like others past and present in IOFFL, contributes to the common good, for no reward and for little by way of thanks.

Precisely what, apart from a pointless attempt to make your miserable self look intelligent and significant, is your contribution??

If you have something positive to contribute, lets hear about it. Otherwise shut up and disappear back into your hole.

To pick up on Peter’s point, “"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." (Ghandi)”, Damien is pretty much the first person to get McRedmond to phase 3. Roll on the victory……………

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

While that's true kasahistan, I've said it before and I'll say it again - McRedmond is very very good at what he does. He's paid to lie and spin, and we don't have to like it, or respect its purpose, but you do have to respect its execution. He's very hard to pin down and very good at controlling the agenda in an interview. I haven't listened to the latest rip, but if Damien was able to hold his own with McRedmond I'd call that a big win for a non-profit volunteer organisation with no media training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

De Rebel wrote:
    Are you of the Judean People's Front, or the People's Front of Judea???

Damien did a good job. Damien is a volunteer. And he is untrained in the arts of spin. McRedmond is a professional who receives over half a million euros (over €500,000) each year to defend eircom. For Damien, with no resources and a minimum of support to produce a report which fleshed McRedmond out of his lair is an achievement of significance. For Damien to hold his own on the airwaves with one of Ireland’s most polished media performers is a magnificent achievement.

Damien, like others past and present in IOFFL, contributes to the common good, for no reward and for little by way of thanks.

Precisely what, apart from a pointless attempt to make your miserable self look intelligent and significant, is your contribution??

If you have something positive to contribute, lets hear about it. Otherwise shut up and disappear back into your hole.

To pick up on Peter’s point, “"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." (Ghandi)”, Damien is pretty much the first person to get McRedmond to phase 3. Roll on the victory……………

/me shrugs :rolleyes:

I say this once more. I'm not belittling what Damien has done.
    Even getting on to the air is a start and it shows that the report is having some impact.

So what if McRedmond is on €500,000 pa? If that's what you're up against then so be it, it doesn't suddenly mean a small victory is a now a big one.

As for the Ghandi quotes that have been thrown around, Damien has reached (IMHO) the first step of phase 2.

It may not matter a toss in the end anyway. If the wireless providers (both bb and cellular) get their act together (globally) then eircoms precious copper pairs may be redundant (certainly for voice).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

kasintahan wrote:
    I say this once more. I'm not belittling what Damien has done.
    You can say it as many times as you want, but that's precisely what you're doing, and that's why people are tackling you. You have a right to your opinion and no-one here will argue with you if you express it constructively.

And for the record, what you're doing isn't politics, it's politicking. That's the trouble with politics these days, too many people view it as a game, and forget that serious issues are at stake.

adam

Advertisement