Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The in's and outs of a .ie domain

Options
  • 09-07-2001 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Right just a quick question about getting a .ie domain. I know some of teh stuff like the business has to be up for so long and you have to have bills to the company etc etc. But what I want to know is more the tech stuff like hosting and all that. Any info will be welcome and if you have any advise on any hidden catchs please let me know.

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've had to explain this so many times over the phone, it's like second-nature to me at this stage... smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Right just a quick question about getting a .ie domain.</font>

It might be a quick question, but it's very rarely a quick answer...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I know some of teh stuff like the business has to be up for so long</font>

No it doesn't. The guidelines - not the rules - have changed significantly in the past year or so. If you have a registered business or a registered business name, and it's more than a month old, you just need to include the registered number in your application. If it's less than a month old, you need to fax a copy of the certificate to the IEDR.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and you have to have bills to the company etc etc.</font>

Not really anymore, they tend to follow the above. In some cases, they may ask for a letter from your bank manager or accountant, but it's only in some cases.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But what I want to know is more the tech stuff like hosting and all that.</font>

The tech stuff is almost exactly the same as for any other domain, bar one important difference - if your application is accepted, the domain must resolve on your two nominated nameservers before the IEDR set it live. If it doesn't, the IEDR will stall the registration until it does. However, you would be advised to deal with a comapny who has dealt with .ie registration in the past, or you're almost guaranteed a screw up.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Any info will be welcome and if you have any advise on any hidden catchs please let me know.</font>

Read the docs on the IEDR site is my best advice. Pick the most appopriate registration type and category, gather your docs together, get someone who know what they're doing to register the domain for you, and send the faxes (if necessary) when they tell you to. If you do all that, you'll have no problems.

Feel free to contact me by email if you want any more help, I'd be glad to register the domain for you. I currently do .ie registrations at cost, as I need one more to get me to the discount level... smile.gif

adamNOSPAM@iewebs.com (remove the NOSPAM)

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 09-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right I might just take you up on that offer it not for me and I'm just looking into it atm so I'll let you know as soon as I know. thanks for the help.

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Lat time I registered a .ie for someone, I used a US hosting company ($25 a year can't beat it) It took me about 2 weeks of hassling them to get it sorted, but they did it eventually. If you have the time you'll get it sorted, but unless your strapped for cash I'd use someone who has hosted a .ie before, otherwise you spend more money on phone calls.

Zalt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Right I might just take you up on that offer it not for me and I'm just looking into it atm so I'll let you know as soon as I know. thanks for the help.</font>

No bother.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but unless your strapped for cash I'd use someone who has hosted a .ie before, otherwise you spend more money on phone calls.</font>

Ha! If you really want to suffer you need to try transferring a domain name away from Network Solutions when the contact details are incorrect. Registering a .ie is painless in comparison. smile.gif

Ah, the joys of domreg! smile.gif

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zaltais:
    Lat time I registered a .ie for someone, I used a US hosting company ($25 a year can't beat it) </font>

what hosting company was that?
    would you recommend them for someone who is broke registering an unimportant site?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

www.castlebar.ie - info@castlebar.ie

The Castlebar Server Project in Castlebar (obviously) are a good bet for hosting .ie domain names. No hitches on the hosting end - you won't end up on the IEDR stalled list with them.

PLUG! PLUG! PLUG! PLUG!

- I used to work there.

I'm the Dude

[This message has been edited by Jeff_Lebowski (edited 11-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Illkillya:
    what hosting company was that?
    would you recommend them for someone who is broke registering an unimportant site?
    </font>

The company was http://www.duploweb.com and just looking at the site now they've increased the price to $35. If you buy a .com from them they host your site free. (Costs $35 to register and $35 a year thereafter). If you own your own domain already it's $35 a year. (This is what you'd be doing if you own a .ie

Apart from actually getting the site up in the first place I have had absolutely no problems with them, and they always responded to any e-mails I sent within 24 hours (usually under 12hrs) There is only 1GB of transfer per month, but a full CGI_BIN is provided with PHP, mod_perl, as well as 25MB of space, with no ads or other rubbish.

If 1GB/Month is enough transfer for you, I'd use them.

Visit the site, they have full details there.

Advertisement