Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New system parts help

Options
  • 21-03-2005 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

I posted awhile ago about building a new rig and you where all most helpful, now im nearly ready to start buying the parts (waiting on payday)
    Just a final few questions, what do you think of this set up ?

Aspire x-navigator case

Asus P5AD2-E Premium, I925XE, Socket-775 SATA, ATX, Dual-GbLAN, DDR2, PCI-Ex16

Intel Pentium 4 650 3.4GHz Socket LGA775, 2MB, EM64T, BOXED w/fan

Corsair Value S. PC4200 DDR2 2048MB KIT 2 x 128Meg x 64, CL4, 533MHz, 240-pin

Club3D Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 256 bit, PCI Express, DVI, Retail

Thermaltake Silent Purepower 560W Powersupply, Black

Western Digital Caviar 250GB S-ATA 8MB cache 7200RPMWestern Digital Caviar 250GB S-ATA 8MB cache 7200RPM

Coolermaster Aquagate (Liquid Cooling)

Logitech Z-5500 Speakers 5.1 THX, 500W RMS

IIyama 27" ProLite C270WT Monitor, Silver, TV-Tuner

Now, anyone know what IIyama LCD monitors are like ? Any good ?
    Whats the difference in say PC4200 and PC5600 memory ? Should i go for 1gb of 5600 over 2gb of 4200 ???

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

im not sure about the aquagate, not sure if that would be the best choice for watercooling, would you not rather get some parts and build a system (pump+res etc). How much is the aquagate going to cost you???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

2gb of ram! surelly a gig would be plenty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Its Eur300 linky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I think you've got too much money! (Give some to me and I'll help you spend it ;))

Looks good, I'd go for a gig of 5600 over 2gb of the other (esp. if it's value RAM), if it's overclocking you want, and with that system you'd be mad not too!

Does the PSU have the necessary PCI-E connectors?

Ah crap , how do i check that ? I wasnt aware of PCI-E connectors

• Advertisement

Its Eur300 linky

Ok thats a problem, dont buy watercooling kit from peats, they are a ripoff, and i dont think 300 for a prebuilt kit is good, youd be better off buying seperates i think, better preformance for the same money

Check out http://www.coolercases.co.uk for watercooling. Def don't buy from Peats, much cheaper online.

As regards the PSU, from Thermaltake's website it looks like it doesn't have the PCI-E connectors, only the newer 680w version does... but I can't be sure.

What exactly are PCI-E connectors ? Is it not just a stantard motherboard connector

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

What exactly are PCI-E connectors ? Is it not just a stantard motherboard connector

If your PSU is ATX v2 then your OK.

It's a 6pin connector especially to power PCI-E graphics cards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Have a gander

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

<expensiveness>

There's no point going mad overboard on fancy components; you pay a serious premium on newness, for comparitively little improvement. You might want to consider an AMD chip; the P4 looks like it's getting end-of-lifed any time soon...

rsynnott wrote:
    the P4 looks like it's getting end-of-lifed any time soon...

Is that supposed to be a reason to get an AMD chip?

jessy wrote:
    Is that supposed to be a reason to get an AMD chip?

Nah the best reason to get an AMD is cuz they are the best, hehehe :p

gline wrote:
    Nah the best reason to get an AMD is cuz they are the best, hehehe :p

I have a p4 3.6Ghz chip but agree that the AMD is the alround better chip, but in saying that i knew what i wanted to do mostly with the chip which is encoding and in this area the P4 is much better, The AMD preformes better in games but my X850Xt will take care of most games, sure it will give more frames per sec but who will notice the difference between 70 and 80-85 frames per sec if the difference is even that.

My p4 @ 4.32GHz is almost keeping up with an FX55 @2.88 in Sandra & Pcmark2002 from what i've seen from some web sites that posted FX55 BM's.

but my fx 51 @ 2.78ghz and x800 beat you in 3dmark 2005, hehehehe :p

gline wrote:
    but my fx 51 @ 2.78ghz and x800 beat you in 3dmark 2005, hehehehe :p

True you beat me by about 20point but I'm not even nearlly finnished yet just trying to get some time to attempt another BM :p but your cpu will have very little to do with a BM thats ment to test your GFX card. how much dose an FX51 cost?

Too much for us mere mortals :D

nah an fx51 is **** cheap now cuz socket 939 overtook 940 ages ago

id say 300 euro for an fx51 IMHO

jessy wrote:
    True you beat me by about 20point but I'm not even nearlly finnished yet just trying to get some time to attempt another BM :p but your cpu will have very little to do with a BM thats ment to test your GFX card

Yeh yeh put yoour scores where your mouth is, heheheh, lol ;) im not finished either, i reckon i can squeeze more out of d gfx and i kno i can bench @ over 2.8ghz on d cpu ;)

• Advertisement

gline wrote:

Would be an excellent chip for that price. is it available on 939?

jessy wrote:
    Would be an excellent chip for that price. is it available on 939?

nah i think the lowest is an fx53 on 939 or maybe the 3800 or 400 is eqivalent, i cant remeber and im feelin a bit too lazy to check :D

gline wrote:
    Yeh yeh put yoour scores where your mouth is, heheheh, lol ;) im not finished either, i reckon i can squeeze more out of d gfx and i kno i can bench @ over 2.8ghz on d cpu ;)

would be more than happy to post any CPU BM you want. :D

LOL, i did while back, but no prob anytime. :D out of pure curiosity what type of mem bandwidth scores on sandra u getting with the p4????

Heres the old thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=204899

Yet another thread we’ve managed to hijack. Will post some Memory and CPU BM scores tomorrow, just downloading PCMark2004 if you want to try that as well. May the best machine win (and all that other stuff as well)

hehe, ok, yeh im always feckin hijackin threads, sorry guys gotta stop doin that :(

gline wrote:

No, socket 939 DIDN'T overtake 940. Socket 940 is still in use for AMD's flagship processors (Opteron, which have always had the dual-channel mem controller). The brief introduction of a consumer Socket 940 chip was presumably a response to Intel's 'EE' things, in the ongoing war for that most lucrative of markets; the people willing to spend twice the price on something three times faster.

There was a 3000+ Sock939... (These were nice in that they had the benefit of the new mem system with no cache hit; the 754 version of the 3000+ only had 512k cache)

but a socket 939 fx53 against a socket 940 fx53 the 939 wins, it did overtake it, because the use of registered ram was no good for home users and caused me a pain in the ass getting it :D

gline wrote:
    but a socket 939 fx53 against a socket 940 fx53 the 939 wins, it did overtake it, because the use of registered ram was no good for home users and caused me a pain in the ass getting it :D

I see where you're coming from, but the 940 wasn't designed as a consumer product; they did the 940 consumer chips to patch a gap in their line, then replaced them with something more sensible later. You could say that it's been overtaken IN THE CONSUMER MARKET, but it is still very much alive, and is used for all of AMD's current flagship chips, as far as I can remember.

• Advertisement
Advertisement