Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Street Judo

• 21-03-2005 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone have prices per session, etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

try the DIT web site, I think you get the info there, post it here man if you find it

thanks paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

it's €0.00 per session.

You better actually go after all these questions.

Kev its free ?? Is that right ??

have you a contact email? or times place etc etc thanks paddy

But this whole thing is blown out of proportion.

DIT Judo club is just a college club made, mostly from college people. The majority of people in the class are training less than 5 years, and it's only exceptional cases where we have black belts training.
    However, the classes are very technical, and the coach tries to teach as much technique as possible, and tries to give as much time to learning these techniques as possible.
    However, if you're a budding ninja, and want to include JUdo in your growing reportoire of martial arts, I, in my purely internet ranting disposition, would recommend you try the BJJ clubs.
    Judo is a very slow sport to learn, and to be able to use techniques you may be thought superficially in 3 mins may take 3 years to be able to use properly.
    Because it's a college club, it's really just turn up on the day and give it ago. You don't need to ring anyone up or try and seek a CV from the coach to see how good he is etc. I think everyone that trains in Judo or Karate etc. will say that going to a class mayve 3 or 4 times is the best (and possibly the only) way to get to know whether the sport/ma is for you.
    As i've mentioned before in these forums, training is on tuesdays at 18:30 and thursday at 20:00 in kevin street. on wednesdays the training is in bolton street at 17:30. It is a college club for college students but a few "outsiders" are welcomed.
    It's very important to have a judogi as soon as possible, unlike karate (tongue in check) it actually effects how well you can learn. But, before you buy one, just wear a track suit bottoms and a rugby shirt or something. The important things are is te material is sturdy enough, you don't mind them getting ripped, stretched and they've no zips or hard metal parts.
    So you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

But this whole thing is blown out of porportion.

How so?
    However, if you're a budding ninja, and want to include JUdo in your growing reportoire of martial arts, I, in my purely internet ranting disposition, would recommend you try the BJJ clubs.

What?

• Advertisement

How so?

I just wanted to clarify what the story was in the DIT kevin street club. I wanted to make clear it was a class full of beginners and intermediates (on an irish scale) and that if people were looking for serious judo players to practice with they could do better some where else.

With the second piece, what I was trying to convey (I'm assuming you had difficulty understanding what I meant rather than trying to portray a disagreement), was that if you want to learn some strangles and armlocks asap try BJJ rather than Judo because it'll be probably a while before you get that far. My experience of Judo is that throws and hold downs are thought long before arm locks and strangles. And throws and hold downs aren't incredibly useful for submission fighting.

I hope people now know where I'm coming from, and if they disagree feel free to say that but don't expect me to engage in some kind of debate.

Pity I didn't make it down to the boards meet up, try and compare rugby player turned judo player with rugby player turned bjjist.

i better go now.

aye you got a point and i reckon most people will know what you mean..

the bit that sold me was..... it costs €0.00 :D;):p:o :rolleyes: :) :eek: :cool:

I would like to do bjj but with doing thai i dont have time and the judo on a thur would suit me asi finished school then... oh i did i mention it was free :D

paddy

ps i take it you dont have to be a student ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

And throws and hold downs aren't incredibly useful for submission fighting.

don't sell yourself short, i would rephrase that as
    And throws and hold downs are incredibly useful for submission fighting.

really. suppose to be able to choke or strangle someone you need to establish control and you can do that thru a throw and straight into hold down then submission technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Mikel wrote:
    Quote:
    And throws and hold downs aren't incredibly useful for submission fighting.

don't sell yourself short, i would rephrase that as
    Quote:
    And throws and hold downs are incredibly useful for submission fighting.

It's probably to do with the jacket. Judo is very heavily jacket dependant for most of it's moves. Most of the Judo guys I know, who are quite intense and athletic, found it quite difficult making the transition from gi-clinch to nogi-clinch.

Peace Out,
    Colm

• Advertisement

Training is on tonight.
    I forgot a spare jacket but you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

that throws and hold downs are thought long before arm locks and strangles.
    funny, in my old college classes we did all of these from the start. Although we only grappled/fought on the ground for the first couple of months before trying it standing. As a result my ground game is far better than my standing game.

Lads

wheres the best place to buy a judo jacket?

Found my bottoms and belt but left jacket in bfast and aint going back for it.

thanks

paddy

buy it at the class is best.

Advertisement