Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The killers........pants?

• 21-03-2005 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

i don't understand the hype of "the killers". I liked hot fuss for around 2 weeks then got very bored of it. the album disintegrates very quickly. i was annyoed to see the album at number 1 for ages. Worse i felt that, people who bought the album thought they were real indie buffs claiming they found them!!! :mad: :mad: .

just thought i throw that out there.........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah, sorta agree, do still like mr.brightside and jenny, somebody told me good too, few others but it did get boring quite fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

They write really bad lyrics but the songs are catchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Over-played, yes. Over-hyped, yes. Pants, no. The album manages to capture the electricity of a good performance in a small "underground" club gig and is simply infectiously catchy.

It's far from the most "credible" of albums out there but personally, I can't wait to see them at Oxegen. Think they're the perfect summer Festival band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's good album, good tunes, great drummer, singer sounds a lot like Rick Witter to me, it's not the greatest album ever but it's an enjoyable 40 minutes nontheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Doctor J wrote:
    It'singer sounds a lot like Rick Witter to me

I was just thinking that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A bad album, would have made a good EP. They need to work on quality control and get some less hideous sounding synths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think this fits into the broader - i liked them before they were on the OC, and now my girlfriend who usually only listens to pop-crap now likes them, so I've lost my sense of musical-moral-highground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I find it an enjoyable listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Flinty

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I think this fits into the broader - i liked them before they were on the OC, and now my girlfriend who usually only listens to pop-crap now likes them, so I've lost my sense of musical-moral-highground.

Just what I was going to say... Not a brilliant album, but certainly not bad, just coz it got popular all of a sudden, it aint their fault. If you go too far into music 'cool' u end up becoming a music nazi! Pull back before it's too late...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

djpk wrote:
    Worse i felt that, people who bought the album thought they were real indie buffs claiming they found them!!! :mad: :mad: .

Its ridiculos thinking like this, although sometimes you can't help help. People can listen to what they want, whenever they "discover" the band. I felt like this about Snow Patrols latest album. I got into them just before their second album came out, they were and still are one of my favourite bands. After the second album they really died. They stopped touring and the website stopped being updated. Then all of a sudden out comes a third album a couple of years later. When i bought it I thought it was average for them, not great. When it became really huge I couldn't really understand it.
    Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

the intro to jennmy was a friend of mine and the bass line in the song is brilliant.
    Lyrics of their some sings are truly awful and I don't like the singer's voice. Some of the songs are catchy to the point of being annoying, but there is quality there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

People always want to bash successful bands. They are a breath of fresh air and are a great listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

my favourite album from last year. Great band, great music - but then, I just like music I like. I couldn't care less if its on the OC or the 9 o'clock news. I listen to music to enjoy it, not to impress other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

they rock amd i'm sittin on the synth rock train with my ticket in my hand. nice to see decent music being popular for a change.

i'm a like music i like type like Sleepy and i for one am thankful that the age of the superstar dj, oasis and pop idol is coming to an end.

the killers aren't amazing but they are damn good and hopefully a sign of things to come.

karlhoff wrote:
    they rock amd i'm sittin on the synth rock train with my ticket in my hand. nice to see decent music being popular for a change.

i'm a like music i like type like Sleepy and i for one am thankful that the age of the superstar dj, oasis and pop idol is coming to an end.

the killers aren't amazing but they are damn good and hopefully a sign of things to come.
    Yes, but in reality The Killers bring very little new to the table, and will probably be viewed with the same disdain as Oasis in a few years time.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Yes, but in reality The Killers bring very little new to the table, and will probably be viewed with the same disdain as Oasis in a few years time.
    Wheither or not they "bring something new to the table" is an argument that can be used on just about any band since the 90's, and as for being likend to Oasis, that's a little harsh isn't it? Oasis rehashed the same sound, over, and over, and over, and over, and over... The Killers have released one album. I suggest you open your mind just a incy-bincy likkle crack.

karlhoff - I'm not Sleepy!

Zulu wrote:
    Wheither or not they "bring something new to the table" is an argument that can be used on just about any band since the 90's, and as for being likend to Oasis, that's a little harsh isn't it? Oasis rehashed the same sound, over, and over, and over, and over, and over... The Killers have released one album. I suggest you open your mind just a incy-bincy likkle crack.

karlhoff - I'm not Sleepy!
    My mind is open - I'm listening to them right now in fact (maybe slightly better than i remebered). There is a slew though of tragically hip, disaffected teen bands at the moment, it can be hard to see the wood from the trees at times. I definetly think its a phase, and a lot of this music will be rememberd as part of it, like many of the Brit-Pop bands that are forever damned to be called Brit-Pop.

Perhaps the nail isn't in the Killers coffin... yet. We'll see.

I'd say give em another album. Wait and see. I hope you're wrong, 'cause I'm sh1t sick of nearly all the music out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

They just sound like Champion Sports music to me, they are on the baaaad side of cheese and I usually like cheesey music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yea, I really hate that add. The music doesn't even suit the bloody thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Colour-by-numbers indie rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yea, I really hate that add. The music doesn't even suit the bloody thing.

I think it suits the add perfectly...

ad

magpie wrote:
    ad
    pointless

pointless

pointless

STOP IT NOW

Just thinking about the Rick Whitter thing.

Seems like there are a rash of groups coming from the states influenced by British bands from the 80s/90s who sing in a 'British' singing voice. Examples include:

Good: Interpol
    Laughable: The Bravery (nice haircuts guys)
    OK: The Killers

I dunno, I think the killers sound disctinctly New York to me...

Their music just seems to optimistic to be British...

Yeah but the lyrical phrasing and melodies are straight out of the Shed Seven handbook. Still, I like Shed Seven so it's all good :D

• Advertisement

Time to burn this disco down... ;)

You said it, man :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

the killers are absolute ****e, and bleugh the music is so irritatingly catchy. and aside from the music itself, bands should not allowed be that ugly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I have tbh that I loved them when they first came on to the scene, but ever since they have gotten popular I find that the music is well to over-played over hyped. I hate when a band are over played to such extreme levels, it begins to become painful to listen to. Any hoo they are my two cents.

the killers are absolute ****e, and bleugh the music is so irritatingly catchy. and aside from the music itself, bands should not allowed be that ugly
    What a well thought out post, you've really added to the discussion :rolleyes:

And since when had looks got anything to do with writing good music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think they're alright. Not the best band I've heard but better than a lot of current offerings. My main problem with them is that I don't know if I've heard the entire album or just the same couple of songs over and over again. I think the synths are deadly though. Nafftastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

I think the Killers produce some really catchy music. It mightn't be to everyone's taste but most people will admit that they've produced an album with few if any bad songs on it. It did take me a good few listens to start liking it, but Hot Fuss is one of my favourite albums of the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I loved the album at first but then I started hearing the singles about 5 times a day,got sick of them and now I only throw on the whole album maybe once every week or two to listen to it. I cant wait to see them at oxegen though should be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shivface

im not gonna comment on the killers cos my opinions are pretty much the same but are you crazy, the lead singers hot!
    i realise that not the point but hey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

couple of decent songs but overall its a mediocre at best album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I like The Killers. Hot Fuss is good with very catchy anthems but the album runs out of steam towards the end. Sadly I doubt that they will be a band who people will be talking about in 10 years time.

• Advertisement

Just think how many people would have said that about the Beatles first LP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Comparing The killers to The Beatles, how could you do such a thing.

I dont bands that their song played more than four or five times a day, makes the songs crap and boring faster.

It's quite easy to compare any up and coming band to The Beatles. Remember, when they started out they were the boyband of their time. Their first few albums are still little more than (v. good) throwaway pop.

If you think about it. McFly are probably the most similar thing we have to the early Beatles: a band of good looking young guys that write their own pop music. It's just that the modern world we live in is so cynical that even if they did produce a truly great album, nobody would give it a second listen (or certainly no-one I know).

Ouch, I think you drew blood with that post! :D

Thankfully I don't like the Beatles early albums either - so I can happily retain my disdain for McFly.

*returns to listening to Greendale*

My point was judging a band on their debut album alone is hardly a good indicator of how influential a career they'll have.

McFly are c*nts.

Sleepy wrote:
    My point was judging a band on their debut album alone is hardly a good indicator of how influential a career they'll have.

Point! I didn't think there were supposed to be points to discussion here. you sneaky bastard! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭JimboPope

I got a copy of it off a pal. Only song i really like is All these things we have done. Makes me wanna strut every time i hear it.

They have been massively overplayed but at the end of the day i'd rather be hearing a *real* band on the radio rather than the tripe we've been forced to listen to the last couple of years. Eurapopstaridol and all that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

amen! and there is far too little strutting going on these days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement