Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are ISDN lines always good for ADSL?

• 21-03-2005 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine in glenageary has ISDN and wants to upgrade to ADSL. He rang EsatBT and they told him his line was not on a list of approved lines supplied by Eircom. they advised him to keep ringing every few weeks in case this changes. I had a look on Eircom's site and the line is listed as fail.

Is this good advice? I had thought that any ISDN line in Dublin could be upgraded to ADSL. How can he get Eircom to properly check the line? Can the line be checked ror ADSL suitability while it has ISDN or does it need to be downgraded to POTS first?

ta

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

ISDN has to be downgraded to POTS before it can take the DSL, from what I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Your line can be tested while still ISDN. You only need to downgrade to POTS to get broadband installed.

ISDN has a further range than the current ASDL offering so it is possible for him to be too far from the exchange.

Remember the 2nd number you have with ISDN is cancelled when you downgrade and get BB.

nagaro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

The previous occupants of the house I live in had ISDN installed. After downgrading the phone line it has consistently failed the line-test. So ISDN is no guarantee of anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah my line was marked as failed until I got someone I know in eircom to make sure it gets tested. It got tested, and passed (of course it did I live beside the exchange) and my ISDN was then downgraded at the exchange (plug and play ISDN box)

DSL was install with no problems. Although, you do lose your second phone line, so beware,

Advertisement