Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grease/slime on windscreen

Options
  • 21-03-2005 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im looking for something to take the grease or slime of my winscreen. It seems to be on inside and out, Ive tried those liquids you put in the windscreen water storage but it didnt work, I also changed my wipers incase. Its very noticable when there is a glaring sun or in heavy rain. Any ideas/tricks to getting this grease off? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try something that is used on ordinary glass or windows. Mr Sheen, Mr Proper, etc plus a bit of elbow grease should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

bazz26 wrote:
    Try something that is used on ordinary glass or windows. Mr Sheen, Mr Proper, etc plus a bit of elbow grease should do the trick.

I've always found furniture polish to make glass worse. Use vinegar and water, or windolene with vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's actually what I meant.

Mr Sheen or Mr Proper do a windolene type product these days. Furniture polish will leave a heavy glare on the windscreen which can be dangerous in strong sunlight.

Windolene is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I use some stuff I bought ages ago made by the same people as make Rain-X. It has a very, very, very mild abrasive action and really cuts through the caked on grime. Unfortunately according to their website they don't seem to make it any more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cheapo methylated spirit does the trick as well. You can also add that to your wiper-water without foaming (which windolene or similar might). Works also on the inside. If you smoke in your car, try cleaning the inside of the W/S with some "orange" degreasing kitchen spray first and then clean again with windolene or spirit.
    Also, occasionally, gently clean the edges of your wipers with a soft cloth / kitchen paper to remove any build up of grime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I got some stuff specifically for glass from the turtle wax people. You use it inside and out. Very good. About €4 in Atlantic Homecare.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

cheap roadside fix,can off coke works perfect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

camarobill wrote:
    cheap roadside fix,can off coke works perfect ;)
    i agree 100%. it`s also useful for watering down jack daniels.!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Rain-X is great stuff. I got some in the bicycle/car parts shop in stillorgan near BamBams. This had a bottle of regular rain X and a bottle of "rain X Glass cleaner" merged together like Siamese twins. WOrked great on my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

tw0nk wrote:
    Hi, Im looking for something to take the grease or slime of my winscreen. It seems to be on inside and out, ......

What sort of slime exactly, particularly on the inside.
    As one particular kind is caused by coolant residue coming from a leak in the heater core.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Half can of coke [f**k the passengers side] ;)

works much better than most that other stuff, whatever you do DONT put washing up liquid anywhere near the windscreen, or have you done this already ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Apparently "Comma Xstream Screen Wash" :o

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/?id=45215

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

ok this might sound funny but since im a student im gonna try the coke first, then failing that il splash out on windolene or maybe take a look in the autoshop, thanks for all the help, the responses have been really quick and good!

Advertisement