Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking directly into frames site

Options
  • 13-07-2001 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Ok here's one I've never really thought about much but a site I'm working will probably need it so here goes:

I want to link into a certain page of a site that is designed using frames. Is there any way that we can do it so the link takes the visitor directly into a section?

There could be a glarlingly obvious answer but I hate frames and I don't use them so I just want to know.

I'm the Dude

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dude,

Unless the site has a script for creating framesets on the fly - most big sites do - you'll need to link directly to the frame with the content you're interested in. It could put it out of context though, and you could piddle off the webmaster if you're framing that content yourself. Another option would be to generate the frameset yourself, but again you run the risk of annoying the webmaster.

An example would help.

adam

PS. Got yer email btw, I'll have a poke around this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Well firstly, it is not good practice to display someone elses site in a frame (although Im not sure exactly what you want to do).

To see the name of a frame name you can either right click on the particular frame to get its name, or you can view the index page source to see what html page its linking to.

However as already said, some places generate frames on the fly, so naturally you couldnt *really* link to them (since some have content that changes depending on whatever, and since some frames are randomly generated like for searches or stuff).

Anyway, I dunno how much help this has been.

If you want more details post here again asking I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

... also, some sites pages can either jump out of frames, or ensure that they don't display if they are not *in* the 'correct' frames using some simple JavaScript.

I know it's unhelpful, but taking this and what the 2 lads above have said, if I were you, I'd find another way to present the information.

Bard
    I've got a plan... and it's as HOT... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yeha - We've actually come up with a different solution that's better and involves us getting more money! WUHOO! Everyone wins.

Just to clarify - I wasn't trying to trap someone's site in a frame I was trying to link to a frames site so when the new window opened it would open directly on a certain page of the frames site.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that..

Advertisement