Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPv6 problems

Options
  • 21-03-2005 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a small 3-machine network set up in my lab in college, where I'm doing some tinkering about with IPv6.
    I have 2 desktop PC's, one running Windows XP Pro SP2, and one running SuSE Linux 9.2 Professional, and a laptop also running SuSE 9.2 Pro. Firewalls have been disabled on all three machines (they're just connected to a 10/100 hub, nothing else).

Initially I just had the two desktop PC's. I configured them both with site-local addresses:

Windows: fec0::1
    Linux: fec0::2

And all was well, with both machines able to ping each other on their IPv6 interfaces, and access IPv6-enabled services located on each machine.
    I then added the laptop to the network, gave it address fec0::3. The laptop and the Linux PC have no problems talking to each other, but the Windows machine and the laptop just won't ping each other, and I've been tearing my hair out all morning trying to figure out why.
    I ran ethereal on the Windows machine whilst the laptop was trying to ping it - and I could see both the echo requests and replies, so the Windows machine was responding to the pings, but the pings were still timing out on the laptop's end.
    I then tried it the other way around, pinging the laptop from the Windows machine and running a console version of ethereal on the linux box. Same deal, no visible responses in the console window, but ethereal showed the responses.

I'm thoroughly confused here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Jesus im no help here! Dont know enought of info about IPv6! Sounds like something to do with a firewall though! What college are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Carlow IT.

These lab PC's are completely separate to the college network - just the 3 machines plugged into a hub.

That's what I thought too, about the firewall, except that the laptop and linux PC can ping each other fine, and the Linux and windows PC can also ping each other. Its just the Linux laptop and the windows PC that won't interact with each other.

strange one allright! had the same problem with my lappy and the desktop when i first networked them. I went right back to the basics, reset everything to default setting then pinged each machine and it worked, the gave them their own ip addresses then after that. Made sure that crap win xp firewall was turned off!

Well, I abandoned my nice easy-to-remember site-local addresses and reverted to using the autoconfigured link-local address on each machine - and all communicate now.
    Hmm.

Grand can you ping each other? If so you should be able to set ur own ip addresses and all should then work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The 2K machine has to use the experiemental stack. Any chance you could install XP Pro on it instead?

I said above that it has XP pro SP2 :)

did you get this sorted out since?

No, unfortunately.

Advertisement