Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mosney

• 21-03-2005 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Has anyone been to Mosney recently. Passed it on the train the other day. What ever happened all the red Coats how strange were they i rember they brought out a crap single. my favorite day there has two bee the 2 days i spent at homelands

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

From http://www.butlinsmemories.com/mosney.htm
    Dwindling visitor numbers and problems finding staff for the short 12-week season eventually led to the camps downfall. In December 2000 a controversial 5-year £15 million deal was signed with the government to turn the camp into a home for asylum seekers. The site owner said that he had opted for the deal in loyalty to the 170 staff who worked there. A local auctioneer estimated that the land could be worth between £30 and £40 million. The mayor of nearby Drogheda was reported to be "incensed" and the local council feared it would become a "ghetto".

The site is now home to several hundred asylum seekers from over 20 different countries. Most of the old attractions have been mothballed, but recreation facilities still include an indoor football arena, table tennis and a supervised play area. One of the current residents described it as "a luxury prison". The long term future is still undecided.

Google is your friend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ah fond memories. I worked there one summer during college holidays in the the early 90's, and before you ask, as a barman, not a redcoat.

And what a summer it was. Management subscribed to the Ryanair school of industrial relations. The clientelle, were, how can I put this, the type that thought going 25 miles north of Dublin was sooooo much more exotic than going back to Wexford. The accomodation was nothing short of a shanty town and the staff canteen seemed to serve the leftovers from the various high class fast food joints littered around the camp.

Heaven.

Advertisement