Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line fails becoming passes all of a sudden...

• 21-03-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen recently?

I checked the Eircon site earlier today and it said my line failed. I checked Netsources online checker afterwards to see that the most recent linetest was yesterday (20th March) and that BB is available to me now whereas previously on Netsources site the line was failing.

So presumably the eircon database has not updated as of yet.

Very odd that my line has now gone from failing to passing in the space of a month. Oddly enough around the same time that Smart are supposed to be going live in the exchange my line is connected to.

I wonder would this be Eircon "relaxing" the linetest criteria in exchanges where they might have more competition all of a sudden.

Anyway the upshot of this is that it may be worthwhile anyone with a failing line to check it out on Netsources site for their most recent linetest. Your line may suddenly "pass" where it had failed before this. Most likely if you happen to be connected to one of the exchanges smart are targetting though (conspiracy theory I know).

Either that or Netsources checker may have gone a little do-lally..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Pass > Fail and Fail > Pass happens a fair bit. Even on my line (which has had 1/2Mb DSL for a couple of years) passes some months and not the next couple, etc. I know of others who experience this too .. but maybe we all have dodgy internal wiring (although there's only 3 meters of new wire between my DSL socket and master socket (and nothing else).. it's a bit of an unknown really.

I never knew about the last test date on netsource, that's handy, ta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

mine just passed today - netsource/eircom/esat....now i just need to get my eircom account number - they are very slow to give this to me!!
    meant to have posted it out 8 days ago!!
    Rang twice and they were meant to resend it as well!
    Rang again today - resending it again - mhmmmm....

toil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

toil wrote:
    mine just passed today - netsource/eircom/esat....now i just need to get my eircom account number - they are very slow to give this to me!!

toil
    If only they sent you something on a regular basis with your account number on it. You know like a bill or something.

MrP

yea yea yea,
    i just got connected about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago....all in the name of getting bb.

toil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

toil wrote:
    yea yea yea,
    i just got connected about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago....all in the name of getting bb.

toil
    I had a great experience when I moved down here. I got the phone switched on. Filled in all the paper work got he line up and running. Did not know what my number was. Like yourself I didn't have a bill yet and none of the paperwork they sent had the number. I phoned the operator and she refused to tell me what my number was.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

My line failed in Dec/Jan for eircom/utv, can't remember who else.
    I phoned eircom bb and they did they did a line test and expectedly told me my line failed. :(
    They went on to further inform me that my line was one of the few rare lines that will NEVER be broadband enabled. :mad:
    Fortunately ntl are in my area and I've been laughing ever since. :D

Amazingly, in the Area 51 sense of the word, my line now PASSES for bb on Smart and eircom. :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

[tommy cooper] *just like that* [/tommy cooper]

causal

yup, i was told conclusively that it would never pass....asked for another line test (engineer....)

Pass....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Reminds me of my story .. way back "it'll never get broadband" and we argued about the strength/meaning of the word "never".. so off I go to Esat, they check with eircom about my line, and i get a phone call from eircom saying all is good to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Ok it seems im passing the netsource test but not the eircom or the iol test, are netsource running a different test to eircom and iol or are eircom and iol just slow to update there database?
    pete

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Have you got a link to Netsource's checker ...Please .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

http://www.netsource.ie/#
    theres a checklines button underneath the dsl broadband section
    pete

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

peterk19 wrote:
    http://www.netsource.ie/#
    theres a checklines button underneath the dsl broadband section
    pete

Doh . My Stupid ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

toil wrote:
    yup, i was told conclusively that it would never pass....

Same thing here. Checking line in parents house for the last few months and consistent fail. Talking to eircom its a case of "sorry, you'll never be able to get broadband at that line. Probably too much copper in the underground lines". Too much copper? Odd that..

Might start hassling the likes of Esat or find myself an engineer to see if I can get one of those magic line tests done to get a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

There was a post on here somewhere mentioning that Eircon were claiming that they would "help" people get BB from now on. David Mc Redmond (Eircons media muppet) I think was alleged to have said this. May have been on one of the interviews lately.

So perhaps this might have something to do with it. I checked out a few other lines on Netsources checker to see if it was borked but it seems to be ok. All coming out with the correct answers.

Hopefully Smart get their act together soon and I get a phonecall to tell me "enabled in 10 days". I can hope...

The Eircon and UTV checkers haven't updated yet obviously as it still fails there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I just checked mine and it failed. It passed on the other previous tests. Thank god I'm not the paranoid type. :)
    There was a post on here somewhere mentioning that Eircon were claiming that they would "help" people get BB from now on. David Mc Redmond (Eircons media muppet) I think was alleged to have said this. May have been on one of the interviews lately.

Yes, David McRedmond waffled on about fixing those lines that normally fail. We're not aware of some formal process in place. I'll email David about this or mention it to him (nice and casually like) the next time we share a radio interview. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

damien.m wrote:
    I'll email David about this or mention it to him (nice and casually like) the next time we share a radio interview. :p

Sure and why don't you :)

No doubt he will offer to personally buff up the copper your line for you if you'd just leave him be the poor fellow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Oops - now I fail on eircom again!

FAIL - eircom, netsource, utv, iol
    PASS - Smart

causal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

toil wrote:
    toil

Good luck to you...
    I once phoned and demanded by A/C number, they flat out refused
    Oh and gets this apparently (according to a sup) they have NO internet access in the callcenter
    hmm I don't like being lied to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

no net in the callcenter? Maybe their lines are failing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

machalla wrote:
    Sure and why don't you :)

No doubt he will offer to personally buff up the copper your line for you if you'd just leave him be the poor fellow...

A friend of mine lives beside a guy who works on the tech side in Eircom but not on bb and he claimed recently that they have 'loosened up' on the test and that more lines were passing than before.

Why are Eircom so 'strict' on the line testing - after all any line that fails is a customer lost to them either directly or as a wholesale customer via the other isps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement