Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing broadband provider ......... advice and/or experiences

• 21-03-2005 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I have been on the Origin Plus package with Netsource for a couple of years and it currently is costing me a total of €66.55 per mth incl VAT & also including their compulsory domain registration charge (not being used).
    Have been quite pleased with their service however when I started with them the market was less competitive & caps were very low from other providers.
    Couple of questions:
    a) I'm on a rolling 2 month contract with Netsource so if I give a cessation date can anyone tell me how long they were left between exiting from Netsource & getting hooked up to a new provider.
    b) Any downside to leaving Netsource that may not have occurred to me?

If I go to IOL I reckon I will save €20 a month. The 3 months free with IOL means that even with an installation charge of €80 I would be well ahead.
    6 months with Netsource = €399.30 ( 6 @ €66.55)
    6 months with IOL = €221 made up of 3 months @ 47 and 3 months free plus 80 installation.

So mind nearly made up but am concerned about changeover period. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

No experience with changing, but as far as I know if you get your phone with Esat the installation charge is waived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

I used to pay the domain name charge as well, but they'll now let you get rid of that, I got rid of my payment of it to them about 8 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

You should definitely have gotten rid of the domain registration. Doesn't matter now though.

I rang Netsource a few weeks back asking about getting out of my contract. They said that as it's a 2 month contract, all I need to do is email them to let them know I wanted to cancel my contract and my broadband would cease in 2 months. If however I wanted out of my contract next week, I would have to pay up the 2 months left on my contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mancman

Raoul Duke wrote:
    You should definitely have gotten rid of the domain registration. Doesn't matter now though.

I rang Netsource a few weeks back asking about getting out of my contract. They said that as it's a 2 month contract, all I need to do is email them to let them know I wanted to cancel my contract and my broadband would cease in 2 months. If however I wanted out of my contract next week, I would have to pay up the 2 months left on my contract

If you cancel with one provider your talking approx 1month to get activated with another.

Eircom aren't cancelling lines properly and massive delays are being experienced by people, regardless of cancellation numbers :(

before moving, ask if your current/new provider(s) can operate a transfer process as if they can it will mean a downtime of a couple of hours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Have been quite pleased with their service however when I started with them the market was less competitive & caps were very low from other providers.

You are pleased with their service and u are now going to Iol.

Are u mad?

I'm getting some of m mail bounced because Iol are operating open relays.

They have a 1 man support team, their Md Bill Murphy, everybody else is so braindead they don't answer their suppport line for hours.

Try calling their support line 1904, and select teck support, see how long u wait, then make your decision!!!!!!!!!

There is more to buying a service than the price.

Ken90

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I'm with Netsource at the moment and I'm not paying the Domain charge. Can I ask why you're changing? Netsource's Origin Plus speed will increase (to 2 MBit I think) with all the other Eircom reselling providers at the start of April.

Also with regard to the 3 months free with IOL, does that apply to people who've already got broadband on their line (even though it wasn't from IOL)?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

When I left Netsource last September, I was told I would be charged 150 euro to cancel ( this was in July, when I was starting the last of my two months rolling contract). They charged me only 75 euro to cancel the service(during the right time slot mind you).

Service was excellent, but was a bit miffed by the cancellation charge, that I never knew about.

Probably changed now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

I'm with Netsource at the moment and I'm not paying the Domain charge. Can I ask why you're changing? Netsource's Origin Plus speed will increase (to 2 MBit I think) with all the other Eircom reselling providers at the start of April.

Also with regard to the 3 months free with IOL, does that apply to people who've already got broadband on their line (even though it wasn't from IOL)?

The IOLBB trial is open to Broadband virgins as far as I know.

They check with Eircom for any previous connections and if you have had one then you are not allowed the free trial.

But there are always ways around such things!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hookrkrook

They check with Eircom for any previous connections and if you have had one then you are not allowed the free trial.

I was told by ESAT the other day that this was a ComReg decision - ie. one free trial. Anyone know if this is true? Or what 'ways around it' there are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

hookrkrook wrote:
    I was told by ESAT the other day that this was a ComReg decision - ie. one free trial. Anyone know if this is true? Or what 'ways around it' there are?
    Ways round? Cease your telephone line and reconnect with a new number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

hookrkrook wrote:

I've asked Digiweb to cancel my sub at the end of my 12 month dsl contact in May in anticipation of Smart broadband. It now looks like there's going to be problems with Smart coming online in time and I was thinking of getting a free trail in the meantime. I've never had one before as digiweb didn't have on when I signed up. Does this mean I would be eligible for one?

Advertisement