Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need advice please

Options
  • 21-03-2005 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place for this, if not please move.

I'm moving my pc to a room that has no phone line and was hoping to use some sort of wireless connection, but I don't know about these things and need some advice.

I'm using UTV broadband and expect the speed to increase to 1mb soon (if this has any relevance?)

What do I need and where do I get it for half nothing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can replace your DSL modem with a modem/wireless router or just add a router to your modem, and leave that near the phone socket. This will then pipe the internet wireless style to your PC.

It won't be for half nothing though. About €60 or €70 for the wireless router and €35 for a wireless network card for the PC. Have a look on komplett.ie in the networking section. PCWorld also have a Belkin modem/router that comes with a wireless USB card for €100. I have that working quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Hope this is the right place for this, if not please move.

I'm moving my pc to a room that has no phone line and was hoping to use some sort of wireless connection, but I don't know about these things and need some advice.

I'm using UTV broadband and expect the speed to increase to 1mb soon (if this has any relevance?)

What do I need and where do I get it for half nothing?

So what?!?!

Lay down some phone cable like I did.
    For example.
    I decided to have the Broadband DSL modem upstairs to be as near to my computer as possible.
    I bought a couple of metres of phone cable and layed it upstairs.
    The after connecting the modem everything worked as it should.....simple.

Dont spend €100 on a wireless router/switch.....spend €10 on wire and get a loan of a friends RJ11 crimper and your set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

diarmo wrote:
    So what?!?!

Lay down some phone cable like I did.
    For example.
    I decided to have the Broadband DSL modem upstairs to be as near to my computer as possible.
    I bought a couple of metres of phone cable and layed it upstairs.
    The after connecting the modem everything worked as it should.....simple.

Dont spend €100 on a wireless router/switch.....spend €10 on wire and get a loan of a friends RJ11 crimper and your set.

I have no friends, anyhoo, I don't want to do the whole cable thing but thanks for the input. ;)

I have no friends, anyhoo, I don't want to do the whole cable thing but thanks for the input. ;)

Using cable instead of radio waves is ALWAYS the better option.

Both for security and effeciency.
    Ive wired a second computer into the broadband by simply adding an 8port switch and buying 30metres of Cat5e for €7.50!

The costs of going wireless are absolutely huge and coupled with the decrease in effeciency...I would highly recommend using wires!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Cheers guys, thanks for the replies. I really need to do this via wireless though.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, thanks for the replies. I really need to do this via wireless though.

Its your money...go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

You need an ADSL modem with an ethernet port to hook up to a wireless router. Which ADSL modem are you using? If it's the Zyxel Prestege 630-11, your provider might be willing to change it for you (see this thread), otherwise you'll need to purchase one with ethernet.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router here and I'm very happy with it.

Advertisement