Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I close Port 515 ?

Options
  • 21-03-2005 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

I went to this site that does a 'security check' of your IP ports (thanks osmethod for the link) - https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

When I run the 'All Service Ports' test, it shows that Port 515 - 'spooler, printer' is Open. I get a fail as a result, so presumably this shouldn't be open.
    Port 515 is the only port out of the 1000 ports tested that is open, so I was wondering if anyone knows how to Close/Lock it - or how to stop it being Open.

Further Info:
    I pass the File Sharing test, and the Common Ports test. - No response sent - stealth mode, excellent.
    I have cable bb going into a Belkin 4port Gateway Router, from there to 2 PCs and an Analogue Telephone Adapter.
    Machine one has XP SP2, with file and printer sharing enabled; but it's printer is not shared over my home network.
    Machine two has 98SE, with file and printer sharing enabled; but it's printer is not shared over my home network.

Any help appreciated,
    causal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

do you have software firewalls on your pcs?

one of them must be setup as dmz otherwise your ports should show as closed[standard nat response]
    check the software firewall as thats probably allowing the printer service to broadcast that its shared to other ocs on the network, hence the fail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I'm running ZoneAlarm version 5.5.062.011.

afaik only ZoneAlarm Pro allows access to port settings.

I have Windoze Firewall disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Hi casual,

Before I start i just want to warn that zone alarm can be a bit finicky, not putting the software down but I worked in tech support over xmas and lots of things had issues with zone alarm.

1. ok click Start > run:
    2. Enter the following: cmd /k netstat /b /o /n
    3. In the second column (local address column ) you will see your ip address and port listed like so: {IP}:{port}
    4. you will see the port 515 corresponding to your IP , on the right most column you will see the Process ID that is using the port, take note of it.
    5. You can now exit the command prompt.
    6. While on your desktop press the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys together to call up the process manager
    7. On the second tab you will see 'processes', click this, and under the PID column locate the process that was noted to be using the port.
    8. If you can supply me with the image name of the process I sahould be able to help you more.

all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Thanks for the help Chalk and Superman :)

In short - I used port forwarding in the router - works fine.

After hours of re/booting, different pcs, msconfig, trawling newsgroups, and boards etc. etc. it turns out that:
    Port 515 being open is apparently a common problem with Belkin routers, according to this thread and this guy (it's the guy, Norman, being replied to (couldn't find his original post))

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

good to hear its sorted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement