Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'02 Mercedes S600 ?

Options
  • 21-03-2005 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

The Ultimate Uberpanzer, 5.5litres of V12 with twin turbochargers = now dats what i'm talkin 'bout :cool:

Haven't drive it yet but he's got two potential buyers lined out for my car so is eager to cut a deal,. 2002 model only €60k wtf? they're something like €200,000 new.

+ points
    outrageously fast
    very safe
    looks like an ordinary S class
    price

5mpg ?
    LWB wasted on a spoilt brat 5yr old ?

There isn't really a whole lot of info on the net as regards enthusiast websites etc. but it's surely the bargain of the century ?

Given the choice between a '02 M5 or '02 S600 [with no bling bling sh!teology] which would you take ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neither car requires to use of indictors...;) Esp if black...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

528i wrote:
    The Ultimate Uberpanzer, 5.5litres of V12 with twin turbochargers = now dats what i'm talkin 'bout :cool:

Haven't drive it yet but he's got two potential buyers lined out for my car so is eager to cut a deal,. 2002 model only €60k wtf? they're something like €200,000 new.

+ points
    outrageously fast
    very safe
    looks like an ordinary S class
    price

5mpg ?
    LWB wasted on a spoilt brat 5yr old ?

There isn't really a whole lot of info on the net as regards enthusiast websites etc. but it's surely the bargain of the century ?

Given the choice between a '02 M5 or '02 S600 [with no bling bling sh!teology] which would you take ?

S600 in a second. M5 is all flash and racey, S600 is a car that a sub-saharan dictator would be proud to ride around in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Worth it becuase it's a bargain...would be sad to wave goodbye to the M5 but a change is as good as a rest etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

528i wrote:

M5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

600 for straight lines,m5 for everthing hands down ;) except the club house :p:p:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would you not just get a C180 with 19" rims and chrome twin pipes? It would be hard to tell the difference between the two on the M50 at 30kph during rush hour. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What extras does it come with? And please don't say 'ooohhh everything' as a lot of Irish Merc dealers get them in pretty basic and add non-factory additions in country to avoid VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The S600 is top of the line, I'd imagine the extras come as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You'll just have to take it on an extended test drive, to check the handling. Petrol consumption might not be as bad as you think and is nothing anyway in light of the total cost of ownership

0-100km/h in 4.8s and 800NM @1800rpm :eek: And a helluva package it sure is :D

Parking it will be tight

Very interested to find out as the S-class is on the shortlist for my next car. Haven't driven one yet

A turbo was added sometime in 2002, which boosted performance enormously. Make sure it is that new engine you are getting. Differences:

Torque 530NM @4250 instead of 800NM @1800
    Power 367BHP instead of 500BHP
    0-100km/h 6.3s instead of 4.8s

Too pedestrian for you so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

you've been reading pistonheads.com havent you ? :D

yep, it appears that this is the normally aspirated version of V12, abit too sedate for dis fella, seemed way too cheap for a top of the line S-class sporting a maybach twin-turbo powerplant, the real mcoy appeared in 2003 apparently.

http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=195654

the search continues...

528i wrote:
    you've been reading pistonheads.com havent you ? :D

I have now - hadn't seen that site before :)

You might consider test driving it anyway - perhaps not enough oomph to buy it, but you'll get a good idea of the handling

Are you considering UK import? VRT is about €16k for above car for a 2002 and €21 for a 2003. What other cars are on the shortlist? A8 W12 Long, BMW 760iL V12 (lovely depreciation in first 3 years)? Do they have to be German or is that a silly question ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

528i wrote:
    I note the way you didn't post the link 'till you had decided not to go for it...
    Probably wise...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i wouldnt consider that s600 and il tell u why. over the next 3 years it will still lose 13-15grand a year. if u invested in a 99 740i with a 4.4 liter v8 then u wont lose anything like that as that is all the car will cost if u buy it in the uk and pay the vrt on it.

also the 740i is probably a nicer car than the current s class. dont bother with anything smaller than the 4.4 and go for 98 or 99 to avoid the nikasil issue. with a 5 speed sports auto and 300bhp u really will be laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

BMW M5 by a long shot...

An S600, while undeniably nice is just a huge engine in a huge car. Perhaps the AMG S55 might be a more appropriate comparison with the M5. The M5, to me at least, is an engineering masterpiece. What it sets out to do, it does perfectly for around half the price (new) of the high end S-classes. It's got speed, handling, comfort, beautiful tech and gadgets and slightly understated looks (but the 4 exhausts for people who know what to look for :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

ssh wrote:
    BMW M5 by a long shot...

An S600, while undeniably nice is just a huge engine in a huge car. Perhaps the AMG S55 might be a more appropriate comparison with the M5. The M5, to me at least, is an engineering masterpiece. What it sets out to do, it does perfectly for around half the price (new) of the high end S-classes. It's got speed, handling, comfort, beautiful tech and gadgets and slightly understated looks (but the 4 exhausts for people who know what to look for :) ).
    Anyone see that BMW 520i for sale in a garage in Coolmine Ind Est, Dublin 15. It has the full M sports pack & also the 4 exhausts. I saw it for sale & went running over to it, only to be very disappointed when I looked inside (no leather) & then checked the tax disc only to find out it wasn't an M5....jus don't know why anyone would go to that extent to make their car look like somethin it ain't. Like yer gonna have boys in their Glanzas walking all over ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

A blue one ? I wouldn't mind only its a pretty extensive undertaking that required a complete new M5 floor welded in to accommodate the twin exhaust mufflers.. thats why M3's & M5's don't have a spare wheel, literally no space for them, token bmw 'blow-me' compressor and a can of foam sealant instead.

I wont bother with vrt or importing or any of that sh!te unkel, Just thought I'd pounce on that particular car as it was a complete bargain @ 60grand,. had drive an S320 before and was well impressed with its composure (and commanding road presence) but it was a tad reluctant on the overtaking lane. I think an AMG is the only route, or maybe afew violent homicides in the 528i residence followed by a tasty 993 GT2 spy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

528i wrote:
    A blue one ? I wouldn't mind only its a pretty extensive undertaking that required a complete new M5 floor welded in to accommodate the twin exhaust mufflers.. thats why M3's & M5's don't have a spare wheel, literally no space for them, token bmw 'blow-me' compressor and a can of foam sealant instead.
    Yep it's a blue un

Advertisement