Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Special Topic

Options
  • 21-03-2005 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello everyone. I'm hoping for some advice on the History Special Topic. I have it all written up and everything, but I didn't do it for the mocks as I didn't have it learned off in time (luckily I was able to do a Section E essay). I just want to make sure that I have my main account written correctly, as my teacher, quite frankly, leaves a lot to be desired.

Is it suffice to write a Special Topic essay like an ordinary essay, or must I put in quotes from my sources? If I were to do a Special Topic essay on Bismarck, for example (don't worry, I'm not that stupid), how would my Special Topic answer differ from a Section C answer on Bismarck (aside from the fact that I could write anything that I wanted mention about him). I'm fine with the extra questions, it's the main account tha I'm worried about.

I hope that this makes sense... Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

well it depends on what title you give it. For instance if you do it on A PERSON in history, discuss their influence and importance. I'd say its similiar with an event, battle etc. its importance, details etc....
    I'm not really sure tbh, its so easy to waffle in, there not going to know the dates, or sources, they won't check. make sure its written well, and throw in a load of specific lies that they won't know.

^^^^^^^
    Waffle
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

its so easy to waffle in, there not going to know the dates, or sources, they won't check. make sure its written well, and throw in a load of specific lies that they won't know.

Please disregard the above.

Anyway, a special topic is literally a history essay prepared on a topic that you know inside out - it's a gift really. I mean the examiner is actually allowing you to go off and write up an essay, learn it off (which is quite easily done because it should be your own work) and then be guaranteed that it will come up as a question in the actual leaving certificate exam.

As regards the actual content and layout of the special topic, it is done exactly the same as a normal essay. That is, it should be 3 and a half to 4 pages in length. And as any other history essay, any quotations should be placed in quotation marks. That doesn't mean there has to be any quotations as such either.

Really what the examiners are looking for in a students special topic are the following (as taken from the history leaving cert honours marking scheme 2005):

1.Presentation (Grammar, title, structure, coherence)

2.Special Study (Worthwhile study, research evidence, in-depth development)

3.Historical Content (Accurate, Comprehensive, Relevant to title)

Basically what they want is a clear picture of what you are writing about, that's all really.

And with that said, I hope I've been of some help to you and the very best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kezia

You're brilliant, thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

hada wrote:
    Please disregard the above.

No don't disregard it. It might be waffle but there is sense and truth in it. 80/80 in my special topic so i know what i'm doing. I meant to say was its ok to give a few made up dates made up people, as you will have enough real dates and people to remember. They don't check them and usually will only have limited knowledge on your topic so its plausible. However don't get me wrong, you do need to have a decent enough knowledge of your topic.

Advertisement