Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP client

Options
  • 23-07-2001 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Which free/share-ware FTP client would you recommend?

Regards

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

The only 2 really worth considering are CuteFTP and WS_FTP Pro. Go with the former for a more user friendly interface etc., while WS is directed at the more hardened user, if you like. I use both, but gun to my head I'd have to say WS is more reliable, from my own experience.

That's www.cuteftp.com and www.wsftp.com

Gamers Europe :: Keeping It Simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/FTP_freeware/index.html

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Ive never used WS_FTP Pro, but I have used cute FTP. I prefer FTP Explorer by far. Also shareware I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Leechftp haven't got the url for it on me atm.

It doesn't really matter what you use really, as long as there's PASV mode support, and the CHMOD command. Inline file editing is nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

i'd defintily go with Cute Ftp its really easy to use. just drag and drop, does everything for you. It is shareware tho, usually evaluation periods n the like. But that can be over come, ahem by paying for it that is wink.gif
    I'm usin CuteFtp 4.3 and its FINE! smile.gif

http://gideon555.cjb.net/ , you know you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I'm surprised nobody has suggested it yet - what's wrong with windows' ftp? On every windows machine with tcp/ip support :P

Very useful to have a little no-nonsense client there on every windows machine anywhere, although it's not for newbies.

Cuteftp and ws_ftp are okay, but I don't like them at all. Too damn friendly. Leechftp, somebody mentioned is good. No registration bull, it works, does what it's supposed to and doesn't give you any grief over it.

http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/leechftp/

I work with CGI fairly often, so windows FTP blows from that point of view, no chmod.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ACEFTP

"DEADLY BUZZ"

www.aceftp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Or for Mac - Fetch 3 is freeware.
    Contact me if you cant find it with Sherlock

• Advertisement

Yeah Fetch is alright, but you want NetFinder. It's wicked, get it on macdownload.com or similar.

Gamers Europe :: Keeping It Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thanks but I'll stick with Fetch, it's free!

Advertisement