Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dev Toolbox

Options
  • 24-07-2001 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

What do ye all use?
    (note that in the event of Frontpage appearing in any answers the respective poster's home address will be required so I can personally come round and <insert excessively violent felony here> )

Coding... Notepad is great when you're stuck (beats the bejaysus out of FP any day), but for the more feature rich ed HomeSite is simply brilliant (www.allaire.com), even has a half way decent FTP client built-in.
    I hate WYSIWYGs, mostly because of the bad name Microsoft my-code-is-so-fat-it's-obese FrontPage gave them. The general rule to follow is that everything sub-Dreamweaver is complete tripe.

For imaging Photoshop is second to none.

FTP sees me using Cute most of the time, WS when the former tends to go a bit like wee from time to time.

Shove in any more categories ye can think of too :P

Gamers Europe :: Keeping It Simple

[This message has been edited by Discharger Snake (edited 24-07-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Photoshop for Design.
    Textpad for Development.

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

emacs smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

notepad mostly, but for a more repetative tasks which i cant bother typing, dreamweaver 4 and other tidbits (extension manager is great). photoshop 5.5 for design always.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I use a whole suite of stuff. starts with photoshop and fireworks then into dreamweaver using notepad to tidy up the code a bit. i normally cant resist the urge to add some kind of animation using flash or something too. Using Interdev at the moemnt for the db and backend stuff so notepad is often the left out element nowadays.

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

DreamWeaver 4 and Photoshop / Imageready and of course Notepad biggrin.gif

What amazes me though is the number of courses being offered where they treat FrontPage mad.gif as the leading development tool confused.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Edit Plus 2 is very good.
    http://www.editplus.com/

"Just because I'm evil doesn't mean I'm not nice." - Charlie Fulton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah, editplus 2 is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Fireworks and Texturiser (somewhat similar to EditPlus), I'm not a fan of Dreamweaver at all for some reason.

Any final touchs are done in Photoshop or Corel PhotoPaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

For Mac Creatext is a freeware download.
    You can drag and drop and colourpick galore, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

... some or all of the following:

For graphics: Photoshop and Paintshop Pro, plus a little
    Flash if and when it's called for (-i.e.: not very often)... plus a toolkit of handy little apps I've picked up along the way such as colour pickers , pixel rulers, window dimension apps, etc.

For code (HTML/ASP/JavaScript/etc.): A mix of DreamWeaver 4 UltraDev (with loads of plugins) and EditPad Pro, with (of course) the O'Reilly HTML/XHTML, XML, JavaScript, ASP, etc. books (or online versions of them) and the MSDN help file indices (such as the VBScript reference file) for further reading...

For source control: Usually something like Microsoft Visual SourceSafe.

For database creationn and management: Microsoft Access 2002 and Microsoft SQL Server.

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

BBEdit Lite is class for Mac. Full of handy coding tools.

Gamers Europe :: Keeping It Simple

Advertisement