Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

controlling what 20 pcs display

• 21-03-2005 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭

This may be a pretty strange question but does anyone know of software that would allow a user to control the display of a number (20-30) pcs at a time.

What i'd like to do is run a powerpoint presentation on one machine in a computerlab and have the output (presentation) forced onto the screens of all the other machines in the lab/on the lab network.

the reason i'd like to do this is cos the ohp screen in the lab is crap and it'd also stop inconsiderate peeps from tapping away on their email while a course is being given.

I don't even know if this is possible but if it is and anyone could point me in the right direction i'd be extremely grateful

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

You probably want something like this...

http://www.netop.com/netop-8.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there is a setting in VNC to allow multiple connections in to one PC
    on the master set it to no keyboard and tick the poll boxes so it redraws more often

netmeeting can share to more than one IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I did a short stint in FAS...
    They use Net Support School.

Very powerful program. You can show powerpoint presentations etc, control computers remotely, monitor what's going on - on other PCs, transfer files.

Very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I use a fairly low tech solution to do more or less the same thing. First upload your presentation to a web page and then ask the class to look at that web page. I use it in a computer room with about 20 pcs all on the internet. Of course it doesn't solve the problem of dossers who want to chat with their buddies but it does give everyone a chance of seeing what is going on.

I don't entirely reccommend this technique for traditional lectures because its probably better for the students to look at you rather than at a screen but it works great for "multi-media" material and simulations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.0/winvncviewer.html
    SendKeyEvents=true/false
    By default, any key presses within the VNC Viewer window will be sent to the VNC server. If this checkbox is unticked then key events will no longer be sent, allowing VNC Viewer to operate in a view-only mode.
    Shared=true/false
    If Share connection is ticked then VNC Viewer will not request that other viewers be disconnected.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You could go for a hardware video-beamer but they're expensive. How about doing the web server thing? Leave the dossers typing - not worth the bother IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Thanks for all the info lads, it is really helpful and thanks to ye i'm looking into various solutions. I would love to do the web server thing but and let the gits type away but we've tried it before and because we've got terrible clackety keyboards presenters complained about the noise (none of the chancers had the decency to type softly).

Advertisement