Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling with syringes

• 21-03-2005 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭

Has anyone ever flown Aerlingus with diabetic supplies? I cant seem to find any specific information on what kind of documentation they would need to allow syringes,lancets,etc to be brought on board. I'm just assuming a perscription will need to be shown, but any information would be helpful. Thanks :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No, you need a letter from your doctor, a prescription is not acceptable. Once you have a letter it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

thanks ! do you know if theres any specific information needed in the letter? (brand of syringes, number being brought, etc)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 r22

You should also probably contact the airline well in advance and tell them. in fact, just call them and ask what their exact requirements are. they should all have a customer service or information number. though ryanair will charge you to talk to them.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/Support/help_special_needs.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0676310140.1111435661@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddeehfjgfmcefecfigdffgdfkk.0&P_OID=-536880753&Category=2#question7

No need to contact, letter from doc will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

thanks a million :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

And you should check what the security requirements at the airports you travel through will be. The airline might be able to advise but it would be worth double-checking - particularly in the USA the security monkeys aren't hired for their brain-power. If the document you have isn't on "the list I have here sir" then you're phucked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Didn't this happen recently to a guy who was flying from Asia on British Airways. He never once was asked for a doctor's letter for his diabetic equipment, and then on that flight they wouldn't let him bring it into the cabin with him - said it had to be put in the luggage dept. even though the man said he could die if he didn't have it on board with him.

He had to get a later flight then or something. So moral of the story - get a doctor's letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

There is absolutely NO need to contact the airline in advance about your supplies. I am a type 1 diabetic and i have never contacted an airline!

You need to firstly get a letter from your hospital. Its a standard letter for all diabetics, they just fill out your name and your doctors name on it. Its actually pretty useless in my opinion as i could do a better job at typing one on it myself. The airlines rarely ask for it anyway.

You need to make sure you carry all your insulin with you in hand luggage as the insulin freezes in the hold. Also bring a copy of all your prescriptions in case you lose anything while you are away. Obviously make sure you have some food with you in case of hypos/unexpected delays.

I never tell the airline about my supplies. About 60% of the time it is spotted when my hand luggage goes through the scanner. The staff will empty the bag to verify it's insulin and then send you on your merry way. They have never asked to see my letter.

Advertisement