Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Teenage Drama

• 21-03-2005 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

I am going to exclude The OC and One Tree Hill as they are currently the flavour of the month. Not including Home And Away or Neighbours or Hollyoaks as they are Soaps.

Am including Boston Public, because it's finish a good while in the states, just because RTE are so far behind means nothing.

So the list: -

Dawson's Creek
    Beverly Hills 90210
    Fame
    Boston Public
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Freeks And Geeks
    Party Of Five
    My So Called Life
    The Ward (Might be considered Childrens TV but cann't think of any thing else from the UK)
    Finbarr's Class (The Token Irish Entry)

Best Teenage TV Drama 82 votes

Bevlery Hills 90210
    0% 0 votes
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    6% 5 votes
    The Ward
    32% 27 votes
    Finbars Class
    0% 0 votes
    My So Called Life
    3% 3 votes
    Freeks And Geeks
    6% 5 votes
    Party Of Five
    23% 19 votes
    Dawson's Creek
    2% 2 votes
    Fame
    24% 20 votes
    Boston Public
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

I couldn't stand watching any of them (or at least any of the ones i've ever seen on TV), they are all so cringeworthy and take themselves far too seriously (which is where The OC has the edge, that and the humour).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

That is a very strange group of programmes. I can't think of one thing that links all of them, apart from having been on television sometime in the last 30 years.

I would be very surprised if there was anyone that could honestly say they have seen an episode of every single one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

where's saved by the bell :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Only one winner: Party of Five....Neve Campell and Jennifer Love Hewitt, ah sweet jesus!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

uhh everwood ?

outta that list though, boston public

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I couldn't stand watching any of them (or at least any of the ones i've ever seen on TV), they are all so cringeworthy and take themselves far too seriously (which is where The OC has the edge, that and the humour).
    Buffy take itself too seriously?! Yer kiddin' right? It's got plenty of humour in it. It sticks out in that group though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Where's Sweet Valley High?

Todd was such a knob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Or Popular, which was gas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I can't think of one thing that links all of them, apart from having been on television sometime in the last 30 years.

They are all Teenage Drama's, that's the only connection.

Fame is the oldest from the 1980's
    The newest is Boston Public 2000's
    I couldn't stand watching any of them (or at least any of the ones i've ever seen on TV), they are all so cringeworthy and take themselves far too seriously

That's why freeks and geeks is the best.
    I would be very surprised if there was anyone that could honestly say they have seen an episode of every single one of these.

:o I have :o

Repeats of Fame people Repeats. The majority are the 90's
    everwood

Sorry! (Is it not still running? was trying to avoid shows still running)
    Buffy take itself too seriously?!

I put buffy in for that reason. I never really got into it and always felt it was Dawson's Creek with Vampires and Ghosts in it.
    Where's Sweet Valley High
    Yeah! No! Sorry.

As for Popular, did that start out serious and then go comedy?:confused:

And Saved by the Bell is a comedy. (And that is questionable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As for Popular, did that start out serious and then go comedy?

It was always comedy-drama.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

YEAH! where is saved by the bell??
    thank god the o.c. isnt there, it and dawsons crack are basically the same thing neway and are already represented by the latter. id prob pick boston public cos i have to..... but c'mon A.C. Slater's hair was worth it alone, plus tiffany amber thiessen was my first love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Elmo wrote:
    I put buffy in for that reason. I never really got into it and always felt it was Dawson's Creek with Vampires and Ghosts in it.

Well you obviously didnt watch much of it because its writing was mroe adult than teen and was nothin like Dawsons Creek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Freaks And Geeks by an absolute mile!

But i wouldn't class it as a teen drama. More of a dramedy involving teens! :D

Some of the best writing, acting and characters EVER committed on screen... and that's not an exaduration! And has an absolutely amazing soundtrack to boot!

If you've never seen it, buy the DVD! You will not regret it!
    Mr. Weir: Elvis didn't expectorate on his fans.
    Sam: No. But he died on the toilet.
    Mr. Weir: Well, that's paradise compared to where the Sex Pistols are gonna end up.

Bill: Remember that time in civics when I had to fart, and it came out, well, a poop? And I had to flush my undies down the toilet? Do you think I wanted to tell you that?

Bill: Mouse Trap! I win!
    Neal: Congratulations, Bill. Maybe you can get the school to start a team.

Kim: Are you calling me irrational? Because I'll tear your head off, Daniel. I'll tear it off and I'll throw it over that fence.

Daniel: I wrote out some Ramones songs.
    Nick: The Ramones? They only use like three chords.
    Daniel: Alright, so I'll learn another one.

Sam: Cindy is not abnormal.
    Bill: Yeah? She cut the cheese.
    Neal: Oh my god.
    Sam: That's not funny.
    Bill: I heard it, man, I swear. She blamed it on the chair. But she cut the cheese.
    Sam: Well some chairs make weird noises.What kind of a chair was it?
    Bill: I don't know. Vinyl?
    Sam: Vinyl chairs always squeak.
    Bill: It wasn't a squeak. It was the sound of cheese being cut.

Ken: I always say, girl plus car equals dead animal.

Nick: Wow, that dinner smells good. Let me guess, meat?

Neal: Ever since they thought you were dying they've been hanging all over us.
    Bill: Oh. Well, if you want you can tell them that I'm still dying.
    Sam: Really?
    Bill: Sure, I mean, if it'll help you guys get dates.

Lindsay: Dad, give me one good reason why there can't be a woman president.
    Harold: It's called three irrational days per month. Now, I would have no issue with the other twenty-seven, but we're talking about the atomic bomb here.

Sam: She says you have to be young adults. We're not adults. We're kids until we turn eighteen.
    Neal: Whoa, maybe you are, but when I hit thirteen I became a man.
    Bill: That's only in your temple, Neal, not in the real world.

Sam: So, is this what having a girlfriend is gonna be like? She's your best friend, she's beautiful, and you can say and do anything in front of her?
    Neal: Well, my dad always says that's what women want you to think before you marry them. That's how they suck you in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Elmo wrote:
    They are all Teenage Drama's, that's the only connection.

Seeing as you are such a big fan I am surprised that you haven't noticed that only one of the leads in Boston Public is a teen. It is an adult drama set in a school not a teen drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Freaks & Geeks
    i was also an avid viewer of Buffy

Seeing as you are such a big fan I am surprised that you haven't noticed that only one of the leads in Boston Public is a teen. It is an adult drama set in a school not a teen drama.

Fair enough but I have realised that most of the supporting cast are teenagers and that the adults try to help them out. Haven't watched it in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've never even heard of half of these, and the other half are just crap, except Buffy. So I vote for little miss vampire slayer, even though I wouldn't call it a teen-drama, it really deserves a catagory all by itself.

There aren't many Teen Dramas.

I didn't want to put in current ones:-

The OC (Is it a teen Drama?)
    One Tree Hill
    Smallville (Is it a teen Drama?)
    Point Pleasent (Is it a teen Drama?)

As people would just end up voting for them, and forgetting about all the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The OC - rubbish, One Tree Hill - never heard of it, Smallville (Is it a teen Drama?) - in the Buffy group I'd say and at least it's watchable, Point Pleasent (Is it a teen Drama?) - never seen it.

I guess I don't like teen dramas and probably shouldn't be reading or posting here, meh.

Can't believe all the votes for Buffy... it was such absolute crap! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 smoocher

saved by the bell...i practically grew up on that.
    The day they brought it back to nickelodeon was a good one :) ...remeber those runners zac used to wear...oh and their waistlines would be up to their armpits!!
    anyway i voted buffy...i was addicted to that until she died and came back to life.i lost faith in it after that.

basquille wrote:
    Can't believe all the votes for Buffy... it was such absolute crap! :rolleyes:

try watch more than a few eps. its a brilliant drama,just because it is based around a fantasy world doesnt not take away from the fact it was one of the best written shows on TV for 7 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

never much cared for buffy.... it just annoyed me
    i know it was a massive program, i just cant see why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Home and Away

Jazzy wrote:
    never much cared for buffy.... it just annoyed me
    i know it was a massive program, i just cant see why

because...it was brilliant? :D angel was better,but i think it draws people in because of the great writing,I have never seen any other show oull off some of the things Buffy has done,and have it turing out brilliant. Ep with no dialogue and musical come to mind.

foxybrowne wrote:
    Home and Away

Thats a soap...may be dramatic and aimed at teens,but at the end of the day is a soap and cant compare to the shows in the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

90210 :D

Hurrah for Aaron Spelling & Darren Star!

*plays theme music*

try watch more than a few eps. its a brilliant drama,just because it is based around a fantasy world doesnt not take away from the fact it was one of the best written shows on TV for 7 years.

If you'd said 5 years I'd agree with you, but S6+7 were of a much lower standard than the first 5 seasons. Shame really, but still a great series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Worst Poll Ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 djpk

what about that australian show "round the twist" it was that show in the lighthouse, with the red head kid.

Great show! :cool:

djpk wrote:
    what about that australian show "round the twist" it was that show in the lighthouse, with the red head kid.

Great show! :cool:
    Yeah.. remember that, but it was more of a kids show, to be honest!

Most of the above were actually aimed at teenagers, though i never saw The Ward or Finbars Class so i'm not too sure about them!

Freaks And Geeks and Buffy are both tied! C'mon F&G!!

Most of the above were actually aimed at teenagers, though i never saw The Ward or Finbars Class so i'm not too sure about them!

Thank you for those who get not having soaps on this.

The Ward: - Was a BBC drama from the 80's and 90's orginally called The Children's Ward. The only Teenage drama from the UK i could think of. I liked it, It was based in a hospital. (And did have Teenage Themes).

Finbarr's Class: - was a comedy/drama/musical produced by RTE in 1995/1996. It wasn't the worst, ok it could have done with out the musical aspect of it. Token Irish Nomination.

Saved by the Bell is a comedy. As is Round the Twist.

Have you ever
    ever felt like this
    had strange things happen
    are you going round the twist. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

WORST POLL EVER

why ignore "flavours of the month" when they are more popular than other obscure elitist options on your poll?

saved by the bell would be perfect for the poll tbh when compared to the ward or fame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

To all the Buffy-haters: have you ever actually watched a decent episode of it, or have you just looked at the title and assumed it's Charmed?

I would actually consider Buffy a teen drama. The writing is very adult at times, but the core three seasons were set in high school, and the show was initially pitched at people who were in their teens, or had terrible, vivid memories of teendom.

To all the Buffy-haters: have you ever actually watched a decent episode of it, or have you just looked at the title and assumed it's Charmed?

I never understand why people have to bring one series down, just to defend another. Nothing wrong with 'Charmed'. Some of us Buffy fans even like it. :D

Hurrah for Aaron Spelling! :D

• Advertisement

TCamen wrote:
    I never understand why people have to bring one series down, just to defend another. Nothing wrong with 'Charmed'. Some of us Buffy fans even like it. :D

im sorry but i think charmed is really reall bad,but buffy was brilliant.i find it hard to believe angel got cancelled over charmed. also Aaron Spelling,isnt that one of the nuts who makes 7th Heaven(possibly the worst show on tv) and thinks the world is like that?

TCamen wrote:

Gah! Heathen! :D

To illustrate:

"TV3. Thursday.

8.00. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" - The first Athiestic exploration of death on American Network Television.

9.00. "Charmed" - A leprachaun or something. Oh, and everybody wears bikinis. With special musical guest.

im sorry but i think charmed is really reall bad,but buffy was brilliant.i find it hard to believe angel got cancelled over charmed. also Aaron Spelling,isnt that one of the nuts who makes 7th Heaven(possibly the worst show on tv) and thinks the world is like that?

Aaron Spelling is and has been executive producer of many many series, including 'Beverly Hills 90210', 'Dynasty','Charmed' and '7th Heaven'. Hopefully 'Charmed' will get renewed for Season 8, but thankfully '7th Heaven' has recently been renewed for Season 10 making it the longest-running family drama on TV ever -- beating 'Little House on the Prairie' and 'The Waltons'. :D
    I don't think Spelling means to produce anything except a realistic family drama series. The results are unintentionally hilarious, but that's part of the appeal for me. It has buckets of schmaltz, terrible scripts, useless guest stars, but it's fun to watch and laugh at. :)

As for 'Angel', not enough people watched it to get it renewed -- that's not 'Charmed's fault just because it's more popular. It's all about the numbers.
    9.00. "Charmed" - A leprachaun or something. Oh, and everybody wears bikinis. With special musical guest.

You forgot to include "a spell goes wrong resulting in the sisters becoming very horny and/or increasing their bust size" ;)

I dunno, I don't think there's anything wrong with targeting an audience segment as long as it's done well. 'Charmed' was never designed to be as heavy or intricate as 'Buffy' so apart from the supernatural elements, I don't think there's much point in comparing them. 'Charmed' ocassionally aims higher than it's typical fun self-contained episodes, and most of the time it's done well. For example, when Cole married Phoebe, turned her evil, got her pregnant, manipulated Paige etc.
    As it stands, it's a lighter series than Buffy was but it doesn't make it any less entitled to be on the TV. Depends on my mood what I'm looking for, but an Aaron Spelling show can usually satisfy anyone's trashy needs, e.g 90210, Melrose Place, Charmed :rolleyes:

On the Buffy Note:

1. I don't like it and I am a big fan of the Vampire Genre
    2. There are better takes on the whole vampire gernre
    They would include

Dracula
    Salems Lot
    Blade

I will even go as far as Interview with A vampire.

But buffy :mad: It isn't dark enough.

Elmo wrote:
    On the Buffy Note:

1. I don't like it and I am a big fan of the Vampire Genre
    2. There are better takes on the whole vampire gernre
    They would include

Dracula
    Salems Lot
    Blade

I will even go as far as Interview with A vampire.

But buffy :mad: It isn't dark enough.

blade? ugh! ok then! lol

its not meant to be that dark,its also meant to be funny. also it did have its dark parts...tara dying and willow going on a killing rampage,the last season had potential slayers being gutted right left and centre.

as for sark,thats where angel came in,which i think was better than buffy.it was dark.again the last season being very dark,fred,cordy,wes dying...probably gunn as well.

• Advertisement

blade? ugh! ok then! lol

The first two movies are dark and very cool.

The last one was very disrespectful to the other 2.

(Ryan Renolds character must have come from Buffy the vampire slayer).

If you want a slayer, you need Blade.

As for dark there are far more dark TV programmes

Millenium, The X Files. Even smallville is dark.

Buffy is Dawson on E.

TCamen wrote:

I dunno, I don't think there's anything wrong with targeting an audience segment as long as it's done well. 'Charmed' was never designed to be as heavy or intricate as 'Buffy' so apart from the supernatural elements, I don't think there's much point in comparing them. 'Charmed' ocassionally aims higher than it's typical fun self-contained episodes, and most of the time it's done well. For example, when Cole married Phoebe, turned her evil, got her pregnant, manipulated Paige etc.
    As it stands, it's a lighter series than Buffy was but it doesn't make it any less entitled to be on the TV. Depends on my mood what I'm looking for, but an Aaron Spelling show can usually satisfy anyone's trashy needs, e.g 90210, Melrose Place, Charmed :rolleyes:

Despite my tone, I actually don't have any particular beef with Charmed. If that'd what floats your boat, go nuts, but it's not my thing. What bugs me is that Charmed, having the higher profile thanks to aforementioned busty leprachauns, is what Johnny Average immediately thinks of if they hear the words "Supernatural drama". They look at the words "Buffy" "Vampire" and "Slayer" and don't bother looking past it. They won't ever watch it long enough to see the point of the stupid title.

Without actually watching it, they'll decry it as shallow, or not dark enough or silly. And no amount of pointing out that it gleefully dismissed the entire foundation of Christianity as a fairy tale, or that it built an entire season around lesbian subtext involving the star, or that it's the only show in history with the nerve to present it's heroine's suicide as a happy ending, will convince them to give it a chance. In a different thread, somebody posted that they simply refused to believe Buffy was capable of depth, and that about sums up the general sentiment...

None of which, to be fair, is really Charmed's fault, but the ongoing success of Charmed, and the enormously unfair cancellation of Angel, leaves me baffled and infuriated.

None of which, to be fair, is really Charmed's fault, but the ongoing success of Charmed, and the enormously unfair cancellation of Angel, leaves me baffled and infuriated.

Has charmed not been cancelled? Is this not it's final season?
    is what Johnny Average immediately thinks of if they hear the words "Supernatural drama". They look at the words "Buffy" "Vampire" and "Slayer" and don't bother looking past it.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is far better written the Charmed, had better actors and better production values. IMO

I personnelly like Supernatural drama's Buffy just doesn't do it for me in that genre.

One major problem that I have with supernatural drama is that it generally goes over the top about what happened in Series One Episode 7, and its now Series 7 Episode 1. I personnally feel that sometimes dramas of this type (even ones I like) can be a bit up themselfs.
    And no amount of pointing out that it gleefully dismissed the entire foundation of Christianity as a fairy tale, or that it built an entire season around lesbian subtext involving the star, or that it's the only show in history with the nerve to present it's heroine's suicide as a happy ending, will convince them to give it a chance.

Yes lets dismiss christianity as a Fairy Tale when Vampires are pretty much a creation based upon Christianity.

Why did Buffy The Vampire usE The Cruifix as a weapon if Christianity is a fair tale. But then we get in to subtext and all that, lets read way to much into Buffy etc etc.

Of course Dracual isn't a subtext to Brab Stokers Sexuality. As far as I am aware most Vampire centred drama's revolve around the subtext of Sexuality.

Personally the Green guy in the last series of buffy was over the top in the extreame. Should I take the show seriously or not?

Total of the topic, but hey!

Elmo wrote:

I must admit, I didn't hear about that. But in five years time, more people will be able to name the Halliwell sisters than will be able to name Angel's sidekicks.. all in all, I think Charmed has been more successful.

Jill, the amazing nerdly off-topicinator, would like to apologise in advance for the following ranting.
    Yes lets dismiss christianity as a Fairy Tale when Vampires are pretty much a creation based upon Christianity.

No, vampires are not. There is a form of vampire legend in almost every single culture in the world, and many grew up independantly of Christianity. The Christian aspects were added later. Early European vampire legends portrayed them as essentially zombies, The Grudge-Stylee. Basically, if you died in the grip of a powerful rage, or obsessed with unsated vengeance, you didn't stay dead. You wandered around taking it out on any old shmuck. So Eastern Europeans used to bury people upside down, so when they'd try to dig themselves out... Whedon incorporated the Christian bits as plot devices that modern Western audiences expected, nothing more.

Why did Buffy The Vampire usE The Cruifix as a weapon if Christianity is a fair tale. But then we get in to subtext and all that, lets read way to much into Buffy etc etc.

Yes, lets. :D You've missed an important distinction. Buffy never used a Crucifix. A crucifix is a specifically Christian symbol - Christ dying. What Buffy used was a cross, two plain ol' perpendicular pieces of wood. Cross symbols date back to pagan earth religions, probably representative of four elements. Crosses are afforded no more reverence than Willow's pentagrams or Buffy's crossbow bolts. Joss Whedon is a vocal athiest and has gone to extreme lengths to neutralise any Christian associations beyond surface level. Angel, Faith and Caleb are the only characters overtly associated with Christianity, but the one thing all three have in common is that they are, on occasion, brutal killers. According to folks in the know, Buffy's moral system more closely resembles Buddhism.
    Of course Dracual isn't a subtext to Brab Stokers Sexuality. As far as I am aware most Vampire centred drama's revolve around the subtext of Sexuality.

Indeed they do, but Buffy was never about vampires, and after the second season vampires were rarely characterised as sexual creatures. The shows more interesting explorations of sexuality revolved around normal people. Normal superpowered people, I'll grant you, but normal nonetheless.:D
    Personally the Green guy in the last series of buffy was over the top in the extreame. Should I take the show seriously or not?

I'm Jill Valentine, and I'm an unholy pain in the ass. The Green Guy was in Angel, Buffy's little brother show, and the moral of his story was that appearances lie...

Elmo wrote:

The WB has yet to make a final decision about 'Charmed' coming back for another season. Normally it's one of the shows that gets an early pick-up but this season the WB are holding off. The executive producer/ show runner Brad Kern has written the end of the season to also function as a series ender *IF* it gets cancelled, but he's also willing to keep going in the even it gets renewed :)

His new series based on a mermaid trying to live a normal human life in Miami is hopefully going to be on The WB this fall regardless. Produced by Aaron Spelling no less :D
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer is far better written the Charmed, had better actors and better production values.

I'd have to agree that the production values in 'Charmed' are of a lower standard, but then I'm sure part of the appeal of the series from a network point of view is the moderate budget required for each episode versus the returns in viewers. I would also agree that 'Buffy' made more of an effort to cast good actors that could deliver, whereas 'Charmed' casting is more based on appearance ;) Still though, Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia) is a recurring face this season on 'Charmed'. As for the writing front, again, they're both 'supernatural dramas' but they're very different series.

Since I like both series, I'm glad that one of them is still on the air, and that 'Angel' didn't perform well even with 'Charmed' as a lead-in and still got renewed for a 5th season was surprising to me. Ratings for S5 were modest but not enough to get it renewed. Ultimately I think 'Angel' was lucky to survive as long as it did on The WB.
    In a different thread, somebody posted that they simply refused to believe Buffy was capable of depth, and that about sums up the general sentiment...

Their loss. :cool:

What bugs me is that Charmed, having the higher profile thanks to aforementioned busty leprachauns, is what Johnny Average immediately thinks of if they hear the words "Supernatural drama".

Meant to include this above, but I think it's a point that should be picked up on.
    I can't say I agree with the asumption that 'Charmed' is all people instantly think of when "supernatural drama" is mentioned. Personally I'd much sooner think of a number of varied series - 'Millennium', 'Twin Peaks', 'American Gothic', 'Kindred The Embraced', 'Revelations', 'Point Pleasant'.....

Anyway, my point is that there are many memorable supernatural series and I don't think that 'Charmed' has that much sway to be the main series people think of when asked to name one. I would be surprised if most US viewers didn't name 'Medium', a much bigger series with supernatural elements currently on American TV.

Also, I don't think that having a supernatural series that's a little more 'common denominator' like 'Charmed' or 'Point Pleasant' on TV takes anything away from more serious dramas like 'Millennium' or 'Medium', and in your case 'Buffy'.

Right you are. I've unfairly singled out Charmed, but I use it as an example of the subgenre is represents. That Point Pleasant, and (Shame, Dushku, Shame!!!) Tru Calling both belong to the same subgenre is a source of fandom embarrassment that I intend to daintily tiptoe over... :D

Again, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with how Charmed etc attract their trade. But if I lump, say, "The Shawshank Redemption" into the same conversation as "Lusty Lesbos in Cuffs III - Bullwhips Behind Bars" people would spot the difference. Not so with Charmed Vs. Buffy.

Now, the boards.er TV audience is decidedly alternative, and doesn't yet represent a cross section of society as a whole. "Millennium" or "American Gothic" are run of the mill conversation here, but I'll bet you any money that a survey on Grafton Street would come up with Charmed as the most widely recognised supernatural show on tv today.

Then again, those people don't matter. They aren't boards.ers. :cool:

I'll bet you any money that a survey on Grafton Street would come up with Charmed as the most widely recognised supernatural show on tv today.

I think it'd be close between 'Buffy' and 'Charmed' on that score, since they're easily the most visible on Irish TV, and 'Buffy' is also widely known from BBC and Sky One. 'Charmed' isn't really as instantly visible across multiple channels unless you've got access to Living and/or Channel 5.

Mmmm I think 'Buffy' might actually be the first supernatural drama that comes to the average person on Grafton St. But I'm not a gambler so I won't be putting money on it :p

*edit* or maybe 'The X-Files', depending on how stringent the criteria of 'supernatural drama' is. :D

Joss Whedon is a vocal athiest and has gone to extreme lengths to neutralise any Christian associations beyond surface level.

Why would you write a supernatural drama if you where an athiest. I assume that he believes in an afterlife, but he doesn't believe in Christianity.????? That does not make him an athiest.
    Indeed they do, but Buffy was never about vampires, and after the second season vampires were rarely characterised as sexual creatures. The shows more interesting explorations of sexuality revolved around normal people. Normal superpowered people, I'll grant you, but normal nonetheless.

It was just called Buffy the Vampier Slayer (That threw me off), and the main character (her name is in the title) had a relationship with two vampires. Why bother with a supernatural drama if your only going to talk about normal people?
    The Green Guy was in Angel, Buffy's little brother show,

There was another strange looking guy in buffy.

I will admit that Buffy can reach up to the standards of Millenium, American Gothic and The X Files. Angle, Charmed etc is just the WB looking for the next big thing. IMO.

*edit* or maybe 'The X-Files', depending on how stringent the criteria of 'supernatural drama' is.

Bugger. Just as I was reading down through the thread that ocurred to me. :D
    Elmo wrote:
    Why would you write a supernatural drama if you where an athiest. I assume that he believes in an afterlife, but he doesn't believe in Christianity.????? That does not make him an athiest.

No, he doesn't believe in an afterlife. He's very much an athiest. There's an episode where a character dies that's all about his own disillusionment with death. He's bitter that when somebody he loves dies, he has no spiritual consolation to lean on where others do. Believers can tell themselves there was a reason, and that the person has gone on to a better place. Joss Whedon, and thus Buffy Summers, can't. There's no higher state of existance Just a body where a person used to be.

Elmo wrote:
    It was just called Buffy the Vampier Slayer (That threw me off), and the main character (her name is in the title) had a relationship with two vampires. Why bother with a supernatural drama if your only going to talk about normal people?

A number of reasons. Firstly, the demons, vampires etc. function as plot devices: The episode may be an exploration of how inadequate language is for communication, but it uses evil floaty fairy tale demons to put the plot in place.

Second, the show deals with normal people in the sense that they behave realistically in unreal situations. Buffy's a normal high school teen. An unhealthy love of clashing colours, fractured family relationships, and occasionally obscure music taste. There's nothing obviously exceptional about her until she's called upon to help people. The idea is that we all have the potential to be heroes, though our heroics are more mundane. Buffy might kill vampires to save people. We might help a lost kid in a toyshop.

Buffy's extraordinary world offers Whedon opportunities to deal in emotions and drama that Other Teenage Drama Shows Can't Reach. Few can deny that Buffy being forced to kill her lover was exceptional dramatic tragedy - that she killed him to prevent the world being sucked into hell isn't really something that My So Called Life could have dealt with. So on the one hand, it's a bitter reflection on the cost of growing up. On the other hand - kickass sword fight!!! Woo!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement