Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Teenage Drama

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Elmo wrote:
    The first two movies are dark and very cool.

The last one was very disrespectful to the other 2.

(Ryan Renolds character must have come from Buffy the vampire slayer).

If you want a slayer, you need Blade.

As for dark there are far more dark TV programmes

Millenium, The X Files. Even smallville is dark.

Buffy is Dawson on E.

smallville is not dark!!!Lol its the most pathetically written show on TV at the moment and couldnt be further from dark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

smallville is not dark!!!Lol its the most pathetically written show on TV at the moment and couldnt be further from dark!

Hmm I can think of worse US series on TV currently than 'Smallville'. Step forward 'The O.C' *ahem* :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

When it is good it can be. But as i said EVEN smallville is dark (in comparision).

Um... hello? My So-Called Life anyone? The best teen angsty show ever. Nothing can beat the, all too brief, thrill and excitement of the mid nineties, oh how I miss it. Even if just for those long scenes between Claire Danes and Jared Leto against the lockers, and the uber coolness of Rayanne, this show has a special place in my heart. Get the DVDs on ebay now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

It has to be Buffy. I think popular should be up there, and Boston public isn't really a teen drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Dawson's Creek was the original classic teen show! I loved it and still do - even though it's over! *sniff* OTH and OC are pretty good substitutes for it now though, how come they're not being polled? I'd say OC would win hands down...

I think popular should be up there, and Boston public isn't really a teen drama.

Majority of supporting cast Teenagers, Adults who deal with teens.
    OTH and OC are pretty good substitutes for it now though, how come they're not being polled? I'd say OC would win hands down...

My main reason for not putting them in the poll as everyone would vote for them regardless of other older shows.
    Um... hello? My So-Called Life anyone?

I was sure it was going to be My So-Called Life V Freeks and Geeks, but due all the posts about buffy, she gets more attention.

Go Freeks And Geeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

smallville season 4 is the worst thing on tv at the mo....IMO. i have seasons 1 and 2 on dvd because i used to love the show,but it started falling season 3 and hot rock bottom this season.

i dont think it is dark all compared to buffy or angel,pete just left when they should have had him killed and clark couldnt get to him,or when calrk is on red kryptonite have him kill someone and then have to deal with the consquences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

you omitted the greatest of them all

Degrassi Junior High

finally out on DVD too

• Advertisement

Degrassi Junior High

Sorry! Honestly counldn't think of the name of that show up to now.

Cann't really remember it, all that well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

they are all crap tbh, only decent one there was Dawsons creek imo. One Tree Hill and The OC definatly rule the polls!!

One Tree Hill and The OC definatly rule the polls!!

But in a couple of years time will they? Or will it be the new bunch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

The O.C. is wats wrong with ppl today
    filling their minds with absolute dire trash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    you omitted the greatest of them all
    Degrassi Junior Highfinally out on DVD too

Glad someone else remembers this one. For years, well, before Due South, it was Canada's biggest TV export! There's even a pretty decent modern version in production, the weakly titled, but interesting to watch Degrassi: The Next Generation.

One the other shows mentioned here, I think The OC needs a serious shake-up - way too weak this year. Ditto One Tree Hill, not good. Everwood has had a so-so year, but far from its best. Best "teen" show I've seen this year has been the new Veronica Mars.

As for the Charmed/Buffy debate, I think the shows are polar opposites, but both originally (in the first seasons) would have appealed to the same fanbase. It was only after that initial year that each began to forge its own path - Charmed with quirky, often plot-lite frivolity, Buffy with darker, more complex plot arcs.

Dawson's Creek ran too long, and by the end has lost any charm it began with. Same with 90210 - ran too long, and had weakened characters, ridiculous and forced "let's all go to school/college/work" together plotting and was wholly uninteresting by the end.

In terms of the "teen" thing, it should be recognised that while most of those shows feature teens as their central characters, they aim to cature audiences from everywhere from 13-29, so if they seem to take themselves too seriously at times, it's often because producers are conscious of an older fanbase tuning in.

So in short, the excellent Freaks & Geeks and Buffy are the best on the list above. Spotting talk of My So Called Life reminded me of another show from around that time; Life Goes on with queen of TV movies, Kellie Martin. (Ah, poor Lucy Knight... How I loved you...)

Life Goes on with queen of TV movies, Kellie Martin

Was this not more of a Family Drama?

One of the better family dramas unlike the dreadful 7th Heaven.

I would do another poll about family dramas but I would just be under as much criticism so I won't But top Family Dramas

1. Little House On The Prayie (sp?) (I never like the nice nice of the Waltons)
    2. Life Goes On
    3. The Family (RTE/BBC, prehaps not family but revolved around a family)

• Advertisement

they aim to cature audiences from everywhere from 13-29,

I actually think the reason Freeks and Geeks was so successful (not only because of the cast) was because of its lack of seriousness.

You could relate to the characters. Much more so then any of the other shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Elmo wrote:
    3. The Family (RTE/BBC, prehaps not family but revolved around a family)

Well, it was a drama about a family, but definitely not what I'd call a family drama (in the 7th Heaven/Life Goes On/Waltons sense). As I recall, this was pretty tough in terms of its content, particularly the episode focusing on the mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Well i hav to say Buffy and Dawsons Creek all the way!!! When dey were over i was like omg watever will i do (yes sad) but i soon realised der was a whole new herd of teen tv shows!
    just to let some ppl know point pleasant has been canceled
    Also anyone who has Living Tv on like satelit or ntl chek out Life as we know it! its really gud!Unfortunantly The O.C. is only mediocre this year its failed to live up to last years name!One tree Hill's new season rocks - dont know when its coming to Ireland but right now im downloadin episodes!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

If anyone is really into drama , check out jdorama's like

Orange Days
    koukou kyoushi
    Summer Snow
    long vacation etc.

They tend to be way better than the western ones, deep charaters, decent stories, scripts etc. Mainly because they are set pieces of art, 11 shows only, allows then to work within a timescale, and not dragging on until they are ditched due to being old, burnt out and lacking in popularity.

Advertisement