Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewal of .com domain

Options
  • 26-07-2001 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Renewal time has come up for me for a domain I got off NSI last year. I'm just wondering whats the cheapest possible way to renew a domain (.com) and avoid them taking me for £30 or so. Or am I stuck with them as domain providers for good? What's the story? (besides letting it expire and reregistering elsewhere of course, I dont really like that idea.)

( 1st post here for me after all this time smile.gif )

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

afaik, you'll have to stick with NSI and pay their charges.. unless you let it expire and register it elsewhere, $30 is a bit expensive tho, joker.com offer .coms for 12 euro a year.

What is now was once only imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

You can change, you'll normally be charged for an extra year but thats added to the time remaining on the domain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you want to transfer away from NetSol, don't leave it too late or you won't be able to - NetSol locks domains in close to the expiry date, typically a week. And don't let it expire or you run the risk of losing it for good - registrars are supposed to release domain names 45 days after expiry, but NetSol are notorious for keeping them. Some domains are still locked into NetSol after three years, and it's next to impossible to get them back without paying the NetSol fee. And then paying another fee to transfer it out.

Finally, if you do transfer it away from NetSol, ignore the invoices and "Deactivation Notice" they send out, it's a con. If your domain name is with another registrar, you have nothing to worry about, so just chuck it in the bin, or better, send it to the American Embassy with a stern note. Mention the word "fraud", because that's what it is.

I'll renew the domain for you for £20 if you wish. If you want even cheaper, or free, there's plenty of registrars out there that'll do it for you. Just be cautious, make sure you don't get locked in.

adam

Advertisement