Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Discolouration on Dash

• 22-03-2005 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bit of a problem with the dash on my house.
    It has turned red /brown in patches on certain areas which are exposed to the wind and rain.
    The North facing side is perfectly white but the South facing side is very patchy.
    Detergents seem to remove this discolouration and the dash is sparkling white again.
    I bought a product called Mosgo and applied but it didnt seem to do anything.
    Does anyone know what this discolouration is and what would be a good product to remove it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Where exactly are the discolouration happening on your house,up high,near window etc? Was this a new dashing done recently or has it always been like this,and same for patches are they just seem to be coming up recently or is it a longtime problem you've noticed?.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I think what you are describing could be a growth of either fungal, or plant like creeper.Look closely at it to see if it has strand like fibres, that may only be noticeable close up. It was a deep red / wine colour.

I came across a similar query on the web somewhere before, but can't remember at the moment, and I know my neighbour had the same problem, so it could be that. If it is a fungal/plant growth. then a fungicidal wash, and plenty of scrubbing is probably the cure.

May be a phone call to a local garden centre/ horticulturist might identify a remedy.

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Where exactly are the discolouration happening on your house,up high,near window etc?
    Almost everywhere on an exposed facing side.
    Nothing on the sheltered sides.
    I think the red stuff feeds on water.
    Was this a new dashing done recently or has it always been like this,and same for patches are they just seem to be coming up recently or is it a longtime problem you've noticed?
    Its been a longtime problem but seems to be getting worse.
    Dash is over 20 years old but as I've said the front of the house is perfect and sparkling.
    The Mosgo liquid I bought is a fungicidal wash but 3 days after application it seems the same.
    The red stuff doesnt look fibre like at all.
    It looks like very light treacle.
    I think I'll just have to make my own home made detergent concoction and apply it.
    That kills it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

How about as you said giving it a good going over with your mix of solutions then maybe put on dashing something like Thompsons water seal,they come in either water based/oil based products.

Could be sealing it up might do the trick?Try a patch first though and see does it come back in few days like its happening to you already.Thompsons water seal comes in a milky white liquid but when dry its clear.Memory recalls it as a silicone based solution once dry acts as a repellant to water.

goodluck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

How high up does the stain start ? if it's at the soffitt it could be your roof is leaking in behind the facia board.

The water has to go somewhere, if it's not a lichen (usually green) or a fungus (comes in many colours) it could be steel rusting.

There is steel in the concrete heads over the windows and in most cills under the windows, if water has manged to get into the steel that would leave red streaks.

I have zero faith in Thompsons products, if you are going to seal the wall I would recommend a product called Enviroseal.

Any treatment to dashing will have to be done using a spray applicator and using a couple of coats to make sure it gets into all the spaces.

Personally I like to know the cause before applying a cure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,454 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could it be a Lichen?

Do you have any leaking gutters, etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Is it blood.
    Have you seen the ammityville horror where the walls bleed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I rang Hygeia in Galway the manufacturers of Mosgo.
    I described the sympthoms and the chap was very helpful.
    He said the Mosgo can take 2-3 weeks to act fully so I guess I'll just have to wait.
    The structure of the house is very solid and the red stains must be lichen.
    The stains are on the chimneys too so it is unlikely it is something leaking .
    Also around the window sill is perfect as they are sheltered.
    The South west faces are the worst.
    I will wait and see how the Mosgo gets on.
    The stains seem to have become blacker as the Hygeia guy described.
    If the stains arent gone in 3 weeks I'll have to nuke it with turbo bleach.
    I can apply the Thompsons water seal or Enviroseal after that.
    I'll let ye know how I get on.
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1 raneekid

I have same problem I thought it was iron ore in the cement mixing water now I beleive its a living organisim I have found no way of shifting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Dilute Domestos bleach with water 50/50 . Mix well in a bucket and then pour into a backpack sprayer. Wear gloves, goggles and protective clothing and spray all over the affected areas.
    Most sprayers have built in agitators to mix the liquid as you spray. If it does not have self agitation then you should give the back pack a good shake occasionally as you work - careful on the ladder though :eek:
    Leave to dry and watch the stains disappear.
    I have tried other brands of bleach but Domestos gives the best results.

The fungus will probably form again so you will probably have to treat it once a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Cerco wrote: »
    Dilute Domestos bleach with water 50/50 . Mix well in a bucket and then pour into a backpack sprayer. Wear gloves, goggles and protective clothing and spray all over the affected areas.
    Most sprayers have built in agitators to mix the liquid as you spray. If it does not have self agitation then you should give the back pack a good shake occasionally as you work - careful on the ladder though :eek:
    Leave to dry and watch the stains disappear.
    I have tried other brands of bleach but Domestos gives the best results.

The fungus will probably form again so you will probably have to treat it once a year.

Has anyone tried this? Am having the same issue with my house which is only 7 years old, the west facing side which is the front of the house is a mess, I was thinking it was the dye from the red ridge tiles.

Would be interested in how you got on OP

Advertisement