Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eidos has been sold to Bono...i swear to god.

Options
  • 22-03-2005 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/21/news_6120834.html
    UK publisher accepts $135 million bid from US venture capital firm partly run by Irish rocker Bono.
    Just one day after the well-regarded British newspaper The Daily Telegraph reported that Eidos was being pursued by SCi Entertainment, Reuters is reporting the publisher has been sold...to a totally different company. The wire service is reporting that late today, Eidos accepted an offer from Elevation Partners. Headed by a board of directors that includes U2 lead singer Bono, Elevation Partners has been a rumored Eidos buyer for several months, along with French publisher Ubisoft and now SCi.

According to Reuters, Elevation Partners made Eidos an offer it couldn't refuse: 71 million pounds ($135 million) in cash, or 50p ($0.95) per share. The price was more than 5p ($0.095) higher than the 44.75p ($0.85) at which Eidos' stock closed on Monday, following a surge sparked by the Telegraph article.

The Reuters article revealed Eidos had been entertaining a 53p ($1.00) per share offer earlier this month from an unnamed buyer. However, the looming March 25 deadline for future financing set by Eidos' primary lender, the Royal Bank of Scotland, apparently forced the company to accept a less-favorable deal. The pressure was no doubt accelerated by the six-month earnings report issued last week, which outlined how the company suffered a 26.5 million pound ($50.23 million) operating loss.

For its part, Eidos was largely mum on the transaction. "The board firmly believes that shareholders' interests are best served by a sale of the company," company chairman John van Kuffeler said in a statement. American representatives of the company declined to further comment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm going to let my current LJ icon do the talking.
    leonwtf9uy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

well bono buying up a games company makes a nice change from EA yet again buying up another company :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

it is better than EA... but does this mean a new U2 game franchise... or worse still... a Bono franchise?? :eek:

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

WTF!

I was just saying a couple of weeks ago how funny it was that Eidos shares were so low (about 3p at the time IIRC)and how if I had any cash I'd buy those badboyys in a heartbeat!(I'm no stock'n'shares-boy BTW it just seemed funny that they were so cheap)

FUCCK! if only I had the cash..eh:rolleyes:

I knew they were either going to recover or be bought out(I think people were expecting them to simply go under) They have so many popular IP's, they were a ripe target for, at worst, asset strippers to buy them out and sell Tomb Raider/Hitman etc off to EA; and at best they could have easily saved themselves(by making a few good games in said series')

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It has not been sold to them at this time, all they did was make an offer, SCi have made a counter offer...

SCi counters Elevation bid with £76 million Eidos offer
    http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7530

• Advertisement
Advertisement