Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network disconnecting internet...

Options
  • 22-03-2005 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hope this is in the right forum, feel free to move it if it's not but i think this is the most relevant board for it.

Okay lets see where do i begin, I've got IOL Broadband plus with the ZyXEL Prestige 600 series modem, I also have a DLink AirPlus Extreme G+ Wireless Router (DI-624 108Mbps) and a matching DLink DWL-G650 108Mbps Wireless CardBus Adapter.

My setup is as follows, i've got my broadband modem hooked into the DLink router and set as a Bridge, then the router is connected to my PC via the ethernet connection not the usb. My dad's laptop uses the wireless adaptor and everything works grand.

That is, everything works grand until my mate pops round with his laptop. The last few times he has been here we connected up his laptop (as we also have done) into the router via another ethernet cable. However the last few times we have had the problem of constant disconnections of the network whilst trying to play Counter Strike Source or hL2 Deathmatch, could be 2 mins could be 15 mins it varies but in the middle of playing we get Warning connection problem and we get kicked, straight away the connection comes back and we could join again only to be kicked again within a few mins.

For along time i could'nt figure what was going on, when the 2 of us tried to playing nothing but constant disconncetions, i tried resetting the modem, and also tried resetting the router to no joy, also tried connecting my friends laptop to a different port on the router, still nothing, when he disconnected his machine from the router i played a game for 30 mins with no problems, within 5 mins of him reconnceting and him just web browsing it reset and i got kicked again.

Something seems to be causing the router to drop the connection but i can't figure out what, although i'm pretty sure it's something on my mates laptop as i've had my dad's laptop connected to the cable tonight instead of the wireless card and for 3 hours now not a single disconnection.

It got so annoying the other night that i tried using the wireless card in my mates laptop in the end and that worked fine no more disconnections and we got to play a few good games before he went.

Looking through the logs of the router the only thing that it says when it disconnects is "PPPoE: Receive PADT TAG"
    Can't find a whole lot of info about it but it seems as though something somewhere is sending a signal to the router telling it to disconnect.

Can anyone shed some light on this, or help me out in trying to track down the source of the problem?

Advertisement