Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use cookies?

Options
  • 02-08-2001 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

When you're building a webpage do you use cookies placed by banner ads?

If you do, what kind of information do they give you?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you mean banner ads placed by someone like Doubleclick, you can't use the cookies set by them, because they can only be read or modified by the domain name they were originally set by, i.e. the doubleclick server. This is by design, according to the Netscape cookie spec, to protect people from abuse. What happens is that Doubleclick use the cookie to track you, build statistics, and see how their ads perform with you, so they can serve more appropriate ads in future. They supply some of this information to the people who place the ads.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

So what's the best way to track now people use your site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You make your own cookies biggrin.gif Best language for that would be Cold Fusion session variables store the most info.

P.s By best I mean easist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Or mine your server logs, which is how people have traditionally tracked visitors. Have a look here for some info. The best way to get started is with a free counter, which can generate quite detailed statistics.

adam

Advertisement