Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i get my future site up on boards member pages ?

Options
  • 18-07-2001 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just learning to make web pages and do html, and i have signed up for webspace on the members board. I would like to know how can i link a site to this for my pics and such.... can you help me?

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Well, assuming you have the site constructed on your hdd then:

(assuming you havent done this b4)
    You need to FTP your site onto your webspace using some FTP program. I recomment FTP Explorer (or cute FTP, if you need a copy they are shareware I think, or email me about it).

You need to enter your username, the FTP site you are connecting to and your password into the "connect" information. Then simply drag and drop your site into the webspace as you would on your hdd. Keep the same directory structure as your site already has or else your pics will appear as broken images.

So first step is get ure ftp program and follow the help on it or post here again if you are stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Paladin, afaik you cant use FTP on a boards hosted account. you have to use the file manager in the boards.ie/members section.

i invented '.com'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Fair enough. I dont have any boards space. I (wrongly) assumed it supported FTP, as most space does. It harldy needs to I suppose since its only for simple personal sites.

Its still worth getting used to simple FTP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

one thing i do have is webspace here on boards and have listed my site as hosted, but i didn,t get round to starting a site yet.The trouble i have is how do you link your site to the boards webspace you have or to the little hosted link under your name.Can you even do one on Geocities for starters and link it from there? I,m only using pc,s for about 6 months now so i'm not very good at stuff like this.

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Death sentence to have your site linked under your name, it has to be hosted on boards and listed as your homepage in profile.

What is now was once only imagined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

How do you get that hosted bit under your name status etc' on the left?

You go to www.boards.ie/members and sign up for webspace. When you get the url of your address here on boards, go to modify your profile and in the homepage section put in the url of the boards webspace you have. biggrin.gif

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

easy when you know how!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm having some serious problems with my webpage in the boards account, though i suspect it has more to do with inexperience with website design then anything else.
    I have 3 actual pages up there, the home page is called index1.htm
    i'm thinking this should be index.htm , riht?
    check it out at www.boards.ie/members/syxpak/index1.htm If you click on any of the nav links the www.boards.ie/members/syxpak bit comes up twice in the address bar, even though the link in Dreamweaver is set to /funnehs.htm
    Also, you'll notice that non of my carefully constructed images are loading, even though everything is sitting in my site.
    If anyonehas any tips to sort this out i'fd be much oblidged, thanks again.
    Oh, one last thing, the Boards ad is sitting in an awkward position, covering some text.
    What can I do to make the page 'longer'? as the frame is long enough but it doesn't seem to matter
    Last time I created a page with Word and everything worked grand when i edited the image links. but this HTML s much more complex frown.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    I'm having some serious problems with my webpage in the boards account, though i suspect it has more to do with inexperience with website design then anything else.

Last time I created a page with Word and everything worked grand when i edited the image links. but this HTML s much more complex frown.gif
    </font>
    I am also inexperienced with web design but i might know why the images won't load up, have you got the tags in the right place/have you got them spelled properly?.

Thats what usually happens to me but i go over it twice to make sure all is well. And about HTML and word, only use notepad for HTML because word has text formatting and HTML doesn't support even basic formatting so use notepad coz it's what most people use anyway. And i have only done a bit of html but i find it easier every time i do it so don't let it put you off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement