Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inetinfo.exe and Wgate service?

Options
  • 03-08-2001 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking after (read repatching) a webgate. NT4.0 , SP6a, SRP6.
    IIS is installed and running.

However, the WGATE service (which I am guessing is the world wide web service) is starting up again and again at irregular intervals. Nothing in the logs indicates that anything is wrong, just that it is restarting.

The security log however, show that a thing called Inetinfo.exe is logging in about 3 minutes before *every* restart of the service.

Me thinking there's too much coincidence here..

So, a few questions.

1. If wgate isn't the www service, what is it?
    2. inetinfo.exe, anything to do with performance monitor? We were having trouble with qperf.dll but I fixed it in the way written by MS.
    3. Anyone else seen this happening? If so, how do you fix it?

One option I think would be to disable inetinfo.exe or deny it login access but until I know for definite what it is I don't want to risk it.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dunno really, best thing that I would do is go and find the file inetinfo.exe on your system, and check out its attributes, e.g. when it was created, the version no. and stuff like that. Chances are if it was created before or around the time you first installed your OS or any patches it's perfectly innocent, otherwise you may have to worry. I don't have a server (boo hoo!) so I'm not reliable enough to give you loads of help

Advertisement