Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Radio

Options
  • 22-03-2005 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

With the new indie/alternative forum doing nicely, a thought struck me - how about a boards.ie streaming radio service? 48kbps would probably be a high enough bitrate, boardsies could contribute to it, Boards.ie announcements could be made on it. T'would be fun. The only problem might be the hit on the servers...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

im nearly sure there was going to be a boards.ie radio a few years back... using the music from members bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I like the idea alright.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh thatd be a great idea. Maybe a shoutcast server possibly instead ?
    Id be more than happy to help out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Yeh thatd be a great idea. Maybe a shoutcast server possibly instead ?
    Id be more than happy to help out!
    Something like that. It would be easy enough to set up I'm sure, but its up to the admins to see if they're willing to take the bandwidth hit.

I could see a now playing section on the front page. Would be a nice feature.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It might be an idea to ask one of the college networking societies for the use of a server?? It's non-profit like and they can definitely afford more bandwidth than boards.ie servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

How about a LastFM feed from the Boards Audioscrobbler group?

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Boards%2Bdot%2Beye%2Bee/members

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I wholeheartedly support this product and/or service.

mr_angry,, personally I'd prefer to hear tunes by Boards members, as opposed to music that boards members like. I've got enough MP3's for that.

Goodshape wrote:

mr_angry,, personally I'd prefer to hear tunes by Boards members, as opposed to music that boards members like. I've got enough MP3's for that.
    Realistically, how many songs are there by boards members? I think playlists, along with orignal music by boards.ie members, and maybe some talk would be the way to go.

I have a tonne of mp3s, but it doesn't stop me listening to the radio, or wanting to maybe hear something new etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh a nice live RSS feed on the frontpage would be handy :)

Goodshape wrote:

I'm all for pimping music made by members of Boards.ie, but I have to agree with Reactor - there aren't enough musicians here to justify an entire radio stream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Yeah reactors idea is good, combined music with promotion and playing of bands or musicians from boards would work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Combined would be good, yea.. just so long as it's not swamped by the 'same old sh*t'. But looking at the Audioscrobbler page there does seem to be a nice eclectic mix of musical tastes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Sounds like a good idea, and reactor's approach would be best too.

Could certainly be used for announcements and boards.ie info, and perhaps the admins could look into ads too, although I'm not sure if they would like to go there or if the listeners would like to hear that (I'm sure if there were ads it would be in extreme moderation as opposed to every 2 songs)

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Sounds like a class idea biggrin.gif
    Get hobbes to knock out a Firefox plugin then tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hobbes, your country needs you....

hobbes.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

A nice idea in theory - pity no one has actually thought it through.
    Goodshape wrote:
    Do you have the rights to broadcast those MP3’s? If not would you like to stand in for Boards Ltd when one of those artists decides they want royalties?

Additionally how many Boards members’ bands are there and how many songs are you talking about in total? One or two hundred tunes get real old real quick on a 24-hour stream.
    dregin wrote:
    It might be an idea to ask one of the college networking societies for the use of a server?? It's non-profit like and they can definitely afford more bandwidth than boards.ie servers.
    Boards is a private limited company, the only reason it might be non-profit is the same as any private limited company could fail to make a profit. Also, if such a service were hosted on the server of a college society the question of liability and ownership would be left open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

ColHol wrote:
    Hobbes, your country needs you....

hobbes.JPG

Sweet Jebus - that looks like one of my old teachers in a military uniform *yeuch*
    We dont to scare him away *LOL*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

^^what Corinthian said.

Myself Amz and Marclar looked into doing something along these lines once - for one we were way too lazy, but secondly i remember DeV saying something specifically about not using the name "boards.ie" anywhere near it in case they got liable.

I don't think there will be any liability involved - as faras I know shoutcast and the like aren't really covered by any copyright laws.

Perhaps I'll investigate this, and establish the legality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

and the quarterback is toast.....

shame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I don't think there will be any liability involved - as faras I know shoutcast and the like aren't really covered by any copyright laws.

Perhaps I'll investigate this, and establish the legality.

That would be great if you could investigate it. I could not see mich of a problem arising from it also. Another forum over in the UK use a simular idea.They use it for announcements and have mp3's playing every other time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Leonard wrote:
    That would be great if you could investigate it.
    I’m glad to see you’re happy to have someone else do the groundwork.
    I could not see mich of a problem arising from it also. Another forum over in the UK use a simular idea.They use it for announcements and have mp3's playing every other time.
    Why don’t you find out how they did it rather than use hearsay as an example, bearing in mind that the UK is in a different legal jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Believe it or not under the Digital Millennium copyright act 2000 any broadcast emanating from a server or computer via any digital codec in this jurisdiction is subject to music rights licensing.http://www.imro.ie/music_users/music-use-online.shtml On state side servers i.e. relay or direct you then become subject to DMA Seasac and soundexchange. They regularly patrol public shoutcast relays and contact the host company and vendor for compliance details.

Ok so essentially €1,359 annual licence fee.

Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I appreciate the requests, but I am not sure what plugin would be any point that can't already be done. Shoutcast are PLS files which spawn winamp to point to a stream.

Good rummaging Dathi1, I was kind of thinking you would probably get hassle from the IMRO for having a radio that plays music. Its probably more hassle then its worth.

Thats not to say the radio isn't a bad thing. Even talkshows based on forums might make for reasonable listening.

[edit] Are there not open source/ free alternatives? Also if my memory is correct I recall Zero doing a radio show for a brief time a long long time ago. Mostly quake related.

With regards the Digital Millennium copyright act 2000, surely this has no juridisdction here. I still appreciate IMRO demands the licence fee - but what relevance is the DMCA?

Hobbes wrote:
    Thats not to say the radio isn't a bad thing. Even talkshows based on forums might make for reasonable listening.

Can we invite David McRedmond on? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Regi looked into this before from the techie side and, allegedly*, broadcasted some drum n' base one evening. Although this may have been off one of Spin's other servers.

*I can neither confirm nor deny this actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    With regards the Digital Millennium copyright act 2000, surely this has no juridisdction here. I still appreciate IMRO demands the licence fee - but what relevance is the DMCA?

IANAL, but I'm fairly sure the answer to that is 'none'. It's obfuscation and FUD on the part of imro.

Go here and look through the copyright legislation. That's what applies to Ireland, not the DMCA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nice idea you might be suprised at the amount of music that could be cleared for streaming. Most desktop musos like me are perfectly happy to have anyone play thier stuff! :) Its not like anyone who does it for fun is going to loose sales.

Mike.

Advertisement