Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Radio

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Forward the franchise!
    Surely a grand is mere pocket money to our wealthy and aloof adiminstration!

:p

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I’m glad to see you’re happy to have someone else do the groundwork.

Why don’t you find out how they did it rather than use hearsay as an example, bearing in mind that the UK is in a different legal jurisdiction?

If thats the way I came accross, I apolgise. As it was his idea I was just offering some encouragement, thats all.

If there is anything I can do to help, I will gladly offer my help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Good idea in theory. I think it would only work if it was along the lines of a 2 hour 'boards show', manned by a speaking DJ and with guest appearences from people like admins and mods to chat about stuff. In between, there would be no shortage of volunteers from boards bands to have their music aired.

Initially it should be done as a once-off shoutcast thing, then we can see the reaction and decided if it's worth going to a weekly show, then a daily show if there really is massive demand.

Once you have the permission for the maybe 15 to 20 tracks that will be played during the show, there should be nothing to worry about except bandwidth, which I know nothing about.

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

robbie1876 wrote:
    I think it would only work if it was along the lines of a 2 hour 'boards show', manned by a speaking DJ and with guest appearences from people like admins and mods to chat about stuff.

:eek: You'd never get some off the bleedin' air!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Leonard wrote:
    If thats the way I came accross, I apolgise. As it was his idea I was just offering some encouragement, thats all.
    Fair enough. I reciprocate the apology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm I can just see it "The Politics Show" on boards, a phone in show where I can hang up on people instead of banning them. I LIKE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Aside from the legal/licensing issues, from a technical standpoint, Multicast streaming could be done easily enough.

Asok mentioned something before along the lines of a server which the "DJ" would connect to with a 128Kbps upload, do his/her/their thing and the server takes care of distributing it to the downstream clients. I don't know if it has multiple input support or not. Running a live chat show with anymore than 2 or 3 presenters could be problematice due to most people only having a 128K upstream connection. Actually keeping them all in synch could be an issue.
    I can think of a few ways around it, but I'd imagine a suitable solution has already been devised as this issue has more than liekly already arisen.

Do any of the Free Radio forum people know of any details or legal obligations required for boards to host a purely chat/original content show?
    As regards boards members' music being streamed, even with their permission (or permission from their record label) would IMRO still have any ground to demand a license fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

gandalf's politics show could work here

http://www.paltalkradio.com/radioguide.html

a boards.ie station might not work but having a boards.ie radio radio show or two is a good idea.

going back to gandalf's idea, anyone who wished to contribute to the program could do so with the paltalk program.

Its like IRC except that it has voicechat incorporated. the moderator of the room can "red dot" the entire room only allowing those who wish to contribute to speak when their turn to do so comes up.

it would also allow a large number of people to contribute. those that do not wish to download the paltalk program but would like to listen can listen to a relay via either realplayer or windows media player.or winamp.

the program could be recorded and stored either here on boards, or if someone wanted to donate webspace then the show could be stored there, ready for those who missed the programme or programmes to listen to at their convenience.

as for banning a user, if you "red dot" them, meaning they cannot type or talk, and kick them out of the room then they are automatically banned, so you get to cut them off and ban them in one click :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I like this idea. I think something similar to Syxpak's method would be the easiest to setup initially...

Though originally created for games, Teamspeak (though they seem to have been taken over) and Ventrillo are both good for simple talking and people without +v can just listen, a teamspeak server is run for commentary in all the big qw matches - I think this would be a good way to test out interest etc.

I don't know anything about licensing but bandwidth is the big issue, the server would need to be on a 10meg line or so if many people want to listen in. It would also be cool to talk on #boards.ie while the show is aired, with the DJ's talking on both irc and on the air (RantRadio style)...

Just a few thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SyxPak wrote:
    Do any of the Free Radio forum people know of any details or legal obligations required for boards to host a purely chat/original content show?

There is no obligation to licence internet radio. If the content was 100% original I can't see imro showing much interest either. The real problem is Libel (especially if Gandalf gets his politics show ;) ) and it may be wise to insure against that if this idea were ever to take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You *could* use Helix which is OSS

Advertisement