Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€45 Wireless Router from Komplett.ie

• 22-03-2005 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

I just ordered this from komplett.ie. It's the cheapest one and it seems to do the job i want it to - namely provide a wireless connection at home that can be shared between my laptop and the pc. Has anybody got any experience with this piece of kit?
    Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

If you want to share a broadband connention using that do you need to plug a ethernet modem into it or does it come built in to it?
    was looking for a review of the more expensive g version but couldnt find any either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I was going to buy this for myself, but I'm not sure if my laptop needs a wireless card too (got it second hand).
    Is it safe to say that if there's no antenna sticking out of the machine then it doesn't have built-in WLAN?

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Is it safe to say that if there's no antenna sticking out of the machine then it doesn't have built-in WLAN?

No. The latest Dells with built in WLAN dont have any antenna sticking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Generally laptops don't have any sort of visible antenna; this goes back as far as laptops started coming with integrated WiFi. (I've got one of the first Sonys with built-in Wifi, and no visible antenna.) The antenna is often built in to the top of the screen.

You will need to plug an ethernet modem into that router. Komplett don't seem to sell any with the built-in modems. b or g doesn't make any difference for internet sharing anyway, either is more than fast enough.

oh right, so without sounding too stupid how do I figure if this laptop has any wireless capabilities without going out and getting a router to see if it works?

flogen

• Advertisement

Look in Settings > Network Connections. If you have a wireless card you should see a connection listed there for it (even if it is not connected to anything). Many laptops also include a hardware switch. Also what's the make/model number/OS - you can google for it and likely find out whether it has it or not.

If it doesn't, a wifi PC Card is very cheap.

nah, doesn't seem to be showing up.

komplett.ie have a wireless router and card for 100 quid, I'll probably go for that

cheers,

flogen

Make sure you get a PC Card rather than a USB one; less sticking out of your laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

does anybody have one of these?i just want to make sure that it will work with my pc at home any my laptop. i know my laptop is wireless enabled but it should work ok, shouldnt it?
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

besty wrote:
    I just ordered this from komplett.ie. It's the cheapest one and it seems to do the job i want it to - namely provide a wireless connection at home that can be shared between my laptop and the pc. Has anybody got any experience with this piece of kit?
    Thanks for any help

I bought one from Komplett and had to return it to them almost as soon as i got it. Only got a connection to the PC 1 of 50 times (!!!) when trying to access (wired), and reset didn´t do anything. Didn´t have a chance to test the wireless since i was unable to setup the router

Got the RMA i beginning of March and still waiting to get it returned to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just installed and setup this router

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=SMC7804WBRA&pm=877

Have to say it is class....no connection probs or anything......used to have this router installed.....selling now if interested!!

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=WAG54G&pm=1517

ok, it arrived today but i havent a rashers of what im doing, really!I have the bband modem connected to the wireless transmitter and the pc still has a connection. do i now have to connect another ethernet cable to the pc? problem is, it doesnt have one.the other computer is my laptop that is to receive the signal. i have a feeling this is gonna be very annoying.

any help would be GREATLY apprecieated!

UPDATE:
    I know it would be hard for some to go about their daily business whilst fretting about my home wireless issues but i now have something that resembles progress to report. My lappy is receiving the signal as "excellent" but i still cant browse the web on it. the pc's connection is still working fine. i presume this must be somethign to do with the settings (although i know very little about these issues :confused:)

again, could any kind soul help?
    thanks

Advertisement