Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internships

• 22-03-2005 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I am in my third year of elec engineering degree. Would people here strongly recommend getting an internship for the summer to help job chances after graduation? From what is said there doesnt seem to be a big demand for elec eng graduates at the moment.

If I was in Ireland for the summer I would definitely get an internship but am going on a J1 and it would be very hard to get an internship in America.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

4th elec here - worked with ESBI last Summer which was pretty interesting, and a little scary (they expected me to know stuff!). It can't hurt to have it on your CV, but it's not the be all and end all if you know what I mean. It wouldn't make as much of an impact as your results from previous years anyway. Interestingly enough the only guy in my class that actually has a job lined up spent last Summer travelling around! I'd say go to America on the J1 and enjoy yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

I`d recommend ditching your J1 and getting an internship/placement.

The reason being that qualifications dont mean anything, experience is the key.

I have a good Beng, and a masters with distinction, so the academic record is not a problem.

I get a lot of rejections, on the grounds that i dont have any experience!

I`ve ruled myself out of contention for the internships etc, by actually finishing the degrees...so the question of how to get a start is unanswerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Novo

Hmmmm, ideally I could go on a J1 and get a placement somewhere. But, having to choose one I dont want to miss out on the experience of america. I'm thinking maybe getting a placement after I finish my degree. This way I get the work experience and go on a J1.

Thanks for the replies.

BlueShaun, I dont understand this:
    I`ve ruled myself out of contention for the internships etc, by actually finishing the degrees

By finishing your degree, you cant get an internship? From what I have seen companies are only too happy to take on either 3rd year students and recent graduates for internships. Maybe you dont want an internship when you have completed a masters though, but surely it would help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

Got turned down for 3 internships now, on the basis that they want pre-final year students.
    Unfortunate, as i`d work for peanuts to get the big E on my CV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I did an internship after third year with a bank in London. It was a great experience and the pay was better than anything you'd get here, and I as I did computer engineering the experience was relevant. I'd say follow blondie and try ESBI. It seems to be a great place to work when you've graduated so it would be good to get a foot in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

i would deffo go for an enternship.

is it not a part of your degree anyway??

it means a lot on your CV. when you graduate companies are inclined to think, well if no-one wanted you for peanuts last summer why should i hire you now?

also you can do a J1 after final year. you just have to get a letter from your college saying you are coming back to do a postgrad, which most colleges will give you.

Advertisement