Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne Vs Portadown - Setanta Cup

• 22-03-2005 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Best of luck to Shels tonight ... Portadown should be pretty stiff competition, should be heading down to Tolka tonight hope to see a good match and not too much crowd trouble from the marching Portadown fans ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, if anyone is around Dublin tonight, and wants to see some Cross-border action, then head on over to Tolka Park. It shouldn't sell out, but would be nice to get a good crowd in.

Come on people, out and support the Setanta Cup, hands across the border and all that. The more genuine football supporters there, the better. I can't really see any trouble from the Ports fans, as tickets could only be bought through the club anyway, same as for fans travelling up there.

It will be an enjoyable night of football too.

You Know You Want To.

Forza Shels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Aye, will be there. Should be a good 'un. Fingers crossed we come out on top. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

seansouth wrote:
    Come on people, out and support the Setanta Cup, hands across the border and all that

agreed but not much good that it is only available free to ntl customers

Much better to watch a game live than on TV though.

Come on people, all of you that spout the "Irish soccer is shíte" crap, get down there tonight and prove yourselves wrong, it's only fifteen measly quid to get in.

Claim to be a soccer fan?

Come out and prove that at least. This competition could be the catalyst this island needs to make soccer a stronger sport, island wide. It needs support. How else will soccer in our own country grow if people continue to show apathy towards it.

You know I'm making sense. Come on out and support homegrown players and competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I heard its Ticket only ... but you can buy tickets @ Tolka Park tonite ... Wonder will they have Pat Dolan on the setanta coverage again ??

• Advertisement

Think he's at all the televised games.

Where you in Tolka for the UCD game, he was at that too.

Of course, the stick was dished out. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

LizardKing wrote:
    hope to see a good match and not too much crowd trouble from the marching Portadown fans ....
    We'll have to wait and see wether Shels fans will take kindly at Union Jacks being flown in Tolka :confused:

I won't be able to see this :( but do let us know if there is any crowd trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Byrne and Crowe could start for Shels
    22/03/2005 - 14:59:43
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/03/22/story194828.html
    Shelbourne could field Ireland pair Glen Crowe and Jason Byrne for the first time in a competitive match in the Setanta Cup Group B clash against Portadown at Tolka Park tonight (Kick off 7.15pm).

Byrne returns after being suspended for the season opener against UCD and is likely to be selected alongside Crowe at the expense of Gary O’Neill, while Richie Baker is expected to start on the right wing with Bobby Ryan ruled out with a groin problem.

Also back from suspension are Jim Crawford and David Crawley though both are likely to have to settle for places on the bench.

Portadown, meanwhile, will be without goalkeeper David Miskelly who has a knee problem with former Republic of Ireland youth star Paul Murphy deputising while Mickey Collins is also ruled out with a hamstring problem.

It would be nice to see Byrne and Crowe start against Portadown tonight. I think there will be a big crowd at Tolka tonight. This competition is going to mean a lot for Shels and hopefully we can get off to a winning start.

Forza Shels :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

We'll have to wait and see wether Shels fans will take kindly at Union Jacks being flown in Tolka :confused: .

I would be very, very suprised if there was any trouble from our side anyway.

For us, Jayos back, which means it's the debut of the Byrne Crowe partnership. While that's good, they wont exactly be too good at linking together for some time so it could well be a slow start. Ryan, Fitzpatrick and Ndo are out otherwise it's full strenght.

The predicted starting 11 on Shelsweb is...

J Byrne Crowe

Hoolahan S Byrne Moore Baker

Rogers Hawkins Harris Heary

Williams

Not the best time for us to have the game, what with us only having played one time, but we still need to win, you have to win your home games to win the group really. Anything less would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Thats 3 players with senior International caps for Ireland starting for Shels and if Ndo was fit you would also have someone who has racked up over 20 caps for Cameroon .(and none of these are OAP's either)

So if anyones still doubting the quality just go and see the match .

• Advertisement

Ndo has 30 caps iirc. Combineing all the players in the Shels squad you've around 40 caps, all for good standard international teams and all players in their prime, plus Wes Hoolahan whos been in a senior Ireland team but never got off the bench, who's still only 22, and numerous youth caps throughout the team.

Goal :D

Shelbourne 1-0 Portadown 7.15
    Baker 39

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Half time. J. Byrne scored the second. A superb goal. That Michael Collins chap is an idiot and will be sent off soon enough. The two commentators are too biased and Hamilton doesn't seem to like Crawley. :)

newstalk reckons the second goal was a real cracker. A third goal was dis allowed in the 19th minute by Crowe. Shels seem very strong:)

SETANTA CUP GROUP 2
    Shelbourne 2-1 Portadown 7.15
    Baker 39 Hamilton 50
    J Byrne 44

:( hopefully Shels will go and get another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Good advertisment for the cup this match is :)

final score
    SETANTA CUP GROUP 2
    Shelbourne 3-3 Portadown RES
    Baker 39,69 Hamilton 50,60
    J Byrne 44 Boyle 84

. Sounds like a great game but Im disapointed to be honest. Shels played poorly. Were going to have to beat CCFC now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What a goal by Boyle. Shels were poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

the whole thing was a shambles. the only thing worth watching that game for was Jason Byrnes goal. cracker.

the refereeing was appalling, Michael Collins should have been sent off on two separate incidents.

the play was appalling. the ball was in the air for most of the time. drastic standard of football on show. that was possibly the best pitch ive seen at an Irish ground since they tore down Milltown, and Ive played on a lot of the pitches in the league, yet not one of the players seemed to wanna knock the ball around on the deck and actually play football.

i guess we know now what the depor coaches meant about the lack of technical ability.

all in all, the best things about the night:

1. the pitch was fantastic
    2. jason byrnes goal was a peach
    3. shel's didnt hockey portadown so nobody went on the rampage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

how many were at that game?was there any trouble from the Portadown fans?

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    The two commentators are too biased and Hamilton doesn't seem to like Crawley. :)

With good reason, he's muck. Agree with you about the bias though, I watched my tape of the match and it was very obvious.

2,711 at the game for the person who asked. It was dramatic but the standard was poor, Shels are nowhere near their best at the moment, but it was an improvement over the UCD game at least. The sooner we click the better, we could very easily be beat on monday and then we're pretty much out of this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Expected Shels to win this game, looks like our hopes are on Cork now suprisingly :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

By the time Monday rolls round, City will have only played Bray and Harps, hardly ideal preparation for playing Shels. Shels will have better match fitness, as they will have played one more match also.

Ill be going for a 1-1 next Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Draupnir wrote:

the refereeing was appalling, Michael Collins should have been sent off on two separate incidents.

only caught the last 10mins but by god did i want to strangle that collins prat.... don't know how he stayed on the field from the incident i saw...

The pitch was in great condition ! I think all E.L clubs should try and not play on it over the winter. It looked very good !

Some of the goals scored were sweetly struck, even if the defending had a lot to be desired.

Downsides is the lack of technical ability on the ball. There was a lot of ping pong, giving the ball away, and the ball was in the air for a lot of the time.

I hope the E.L tries to develop the technical development of the game. A lot more people would watch if this was improved. Shels cant expect to progress in Europe until they improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Was at the Game .. thought match was quite good , Shels threw away a good lead with some sloppy defending and then when it went to 3-3 had a few minor chances to win it. Some Good Goals especially Byrnes and the Portadown number 6(who was in the running for man of the match IMO)... IT'll be very tough for them up in Portadown now.

Anyone know if away goals count ?? or is it a league between the 3 teams ??

No Crowd trouble at all (that I saw).. but that was probably because they had the Stewards from the Ireland Internationals on duty as well as loads of Gardaí and even some riot police (whom I saw outside stadium) I think they went a tad over the top with the security , there were a lot of young kids with the protadown fans and there was never really much menace in the crowd. Also did not see any Union Jacks surprisingly ... Overall I thought a good match to watch ( €2.50 per goal .. not bad )

It's a league between 3 teams so away goals wont count for anything extra.

Advertisement