Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA v Chelsea Debacle

• 22-03-2005 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

surprised this hasn't turned up here yet , so what do all you Utd, Arsenal and Pool fans think of the threat to "possibly" kick Chelsea out of the CL, overturn the Barcelona result or slap a fine on the club.

Personally, as a CFC fan, I'm think they are over reacting to the comments Jose made in Barcelona, I also think they have come under political pressure from Barca. The alledged threats to Frisk have yet to be proved and even if proved the actions of an individual should not impact on the club (Man U directors have received lots of threats in the Glazier affair, should Man U be booted out of the PL?).

If they do kick Chelsea out of the CL, should I get a refund on my CL tickets and flights to date from UEFA?

I'm assuming they are just letting off steam, or else are trying to shut Chelsea up in order to cover up a bigger story in relation to Frisk and his relationship with Barca (conspiracy).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I doubt very much if Chelsea will be kicked out of the competition, but a large fine and a lengthy touchline ban for all involved is in order if they are found guilty!

Deliberately lying, creating pressure on officials and managers not turning up to press conferences because they are sulking! This is starting to sound like an episode of Dream Team and needs to be nipped in the bud now!

Also here is an interesting commentary piece about how Chelsea are becoming hated http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4371395.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

UEFA have not issued any punishment yet so how can they be over reacting? Unless you mean they should not investigate the serious alllegation made by Murinho after the first leg V Barsa.

The allegations should be throughtly investigated and whoever is found to be telling lies deserves whatever punishment they get IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

there has been no proof of lying, it seems that Rikaard did pop in to see Frisk at half time which was the allegation that Mourinho made. I agree that the allegations should be investigated but it seems to be a bit daft to discuss potential punishments before any investigation happens, what purpsoe does it serve to threaten expulsion from the CL unless it is designed to have CFC make profuse apologies and thus allowing no investigation to be made?

Besides, criticism of a referee is not unique to Chelsea, there have been plenty of PL managers willing to question the referees ability / judgement this season without any sanctions from the PL/ FA. Mourinho didn't accuse Frisk of bias he just said he was unhappy at the half time contact with a rival manager who's team happened to be losing at that stage.

I can also fully understand his frustration at losing in such circumstances and chosing not to attend the press conference, he'd probably be a lot more trouble if he had opened his gob post match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

growler wrote:
    there has been no proof of lying, it seems that Rikaard did pop in to see Frisk at half time which was the allegation that Mourinho made. I agree that the allegations should be investigated but it seems to be a bit daft to discuss potential punishments before any investigation happens, what purpsoe does it serve to threaten expulsion from the CL unless it is designed to have CFC make profuse apologies and thus allowing no investigation to be made?

Have UEFA threatened to throw Chelsea out?

I dont think so, or at least I havent seen it. Its just media speculation. The very worst (footballwise) UEFA could do would be to change the score in the first leg to 3-0 to Barca, so of course thats what the media have latched onto. That is highly highly highly unlikely to happen. If it did happen though, Barca wouldnt be automatically through, they'd replay the 2nd leg (but I dont think I'd fancy Chelsea!!).

What makes you say "Rikaard did pop in to see Frisk at half time". If thats the case Chelsea have no serious case to answer. But I saw a quote from a UEFA official categorically saying that Rijkaard did not go into Frisk's dressing room, and that Mourinho and Clarke told blatant lies which require investigation.

I'd guess the punishment will be 3 game ban for JM and 1 or 2 games for Steve Clarke. And "touchline" means you cannot go into the dressing room before the game or at half-time, so that would be a blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Have UEFA threatened to throw Chelsea out?

I dont think so, or at least I havent seen it. Its just media speculation.

There was an interview with the UEFA press relations office on BBC this morning and he simply listed the punishments that could be handed out to Chelsea. One of those was exclusion from this or future tournaments, another was fines etc.

I haven't seen read any direct threat to throw them out so I think you're right about it being media speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

the fact is mourinho blantantly lied through his teeth as neither of the uefa observers saw rijkard go into frisks dressing room so they deserve some form of punishment but they will never be kicked out of the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah, theres two things that can happen:

Either Frisk went in at half time, in which case Mourinho will get nothing.
    Or else he didn't, and mourinho will get fined deservedly.

The one thing I don't like about Mourinho, and to an extent Wenger, is their inability to lose. When United lose fergie blames it on himself and the players, when Mourinho has lost or not gotten the result he wanted, I've heard that Spurs parked the bus, that Fergie convinced the ref in the first chelsea league cup game, and that Frsik was talk to be Barca.
    It annoys me, and I think its a bad tacitc in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

fergie is just as bad as JM or Wenger when it comes to loosing tbh. Though i don't think United supporters will be jumping up to admit that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wouldn't agree, but then again I think Wenger has gotten a lot better after he saw what happened after the Utd loss and his responce.
    Mourinho is the worst of all mangers that i've seen about this

read in the Times (UK) this morning that the Nou Camp has a corridoor from the home changing room leading to the Referees area.

Also, no surprise that UEFA observers didn't see anything. They have a habit of missing things.

And the head of UEFA's disciplinary committee is a Barcelona member.

• Advertisement

growler wrote:
    read in the Times (UK) this morning that the Nou Camp has a corridoor from the home changing room leading to the Referees area.

Also, no surprise that UEFA observers didn't see anything. They have a habit of missing things.

And the head of UEFA's disciplinary committee is a Barcelona member.

Josep Lluís Vilaseca Guasch is from Barcelona! But he is not the guy who makes the decisions, he is just the chairman of the committee and has in fact stood down for this decision! The committee also contains members from nine other nations http://www.uefa.com/uefa/FootballFamily/CommittesPanels/index,newsid=76210.html

Also do you have a link to the Nou Camp corridor story when I looked at the Times online this is the only story I could find http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-1537542,00.html , this just confirmed that Josep Lluís Vilaseca Guasch is standing down and outlined Chelseas pleas and other legal woes!

"As for the geography of the Nou Camp, which is being used to brand the noble Steve Clarke a liar, Uefa might be better served investigating why one of the two entrances to the home team’s changing-room leads to the secure area where the referee resides and what Rijkaard was doing there at half-time. It might be impossible to see the entrance to the referee’s room from where Clarke stood, as Gaillard has suggested, but the Chelsea assistant manager would have had a clear view of its vicinity. "

from

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8305-1537541,00.html

Thank you, I was looking in the articles and not the opinion columns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

PHB maybe fergie has more practise ...heh

seriously though im a chelsea fan and i know a fine is going to do absolutly nothing so if found guilty uefa will have to do a touchline ban and go down the route the english fa went about warning jose and the club about their future conduct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

PHB wrote:
    The one thing I don't like about Mourinho, and to an extent Wenger, is their inability to lose. When United lose fergie blames it on himself and the players, when Mourinho has lost or not gotten the result he wanted, I've heard that Spurs parked the bus, that Fergie convinced the ref in the first chelsea league cup game, and that Frsik was talk to be Barca.
    It annoys me, and I think its a bad tacitc in the long run.

Yes- Mourinho is the only manager to blame anything or anyone over himself if he doesn't get the result that he wants - (lol)!! I seem to remember ferguson blaming his teams poor performance (v southampton i think) on the colour of his own teams shirts!! All managers come up with crappy excuses when things don't go their own way. All managers have had a pop at a referee at some stage or another.

I find it amusing that uefa are treating this incident as if it were the worst thing that has happened ever in football and all wrongs will be righted after cfc and mourinho get their due punishment (after a fair and impartial hearing from uefa, of course). If only they would tackle other ills in football (racism from the crowd for example) with the same gusto....

That non-withstanding, if Mouriniho has broken the rules (still unproven one way or the other) then I have no problem if they give him a touchline ban for a couple of games. I don't think that uefa will throw them out of cl or reverse the barcelona result as that would undoubtly lead to a court case.

All in all , much ado about nothing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

UEFA has always been anti-English. And Geoffrey Thompson been an ex Ref takes any protection (english) from within UEFA committee away from Chelsea, they will be reprimanded severely.
    Im very intersted to see what will happen, i have a feeling this will not be your average touch line ban and fine, something more imaginative will come into play.. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Im very intersted to see what will happen, i have a feeling this will not be your average touch line ban and fine, something more imaginative will come into play.. :cool:

making him dress up as one of the tellytubbies for the continuation of the CL could be a good compramise for rikjaard (sp) and uefa :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Gileadi wrote:
    making him dress up as one of the tellytubbies for the continuation of the CL could be a good compramise for rikjaard (sp) and uefa :)

I like it,Noted and forwarded to LennartJohansson@UEFA.COM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Chelsea are in serious trouble over this one. They accused the referee of being corrupt. I think Chelsea will be severly punished it cetainly will not be just a fine and or a touchline ban. I would not be surprised if they were excluded from next years competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

The Muppet wrote:
    Chelsea are in serious trouble over this one. They accused the referee of being corrupt. I think Chelsea will be severly punished it cetainly will not be just a fine and or a touchline ban. I would not be surprised if they were excluded from next years competition

Unless I missed something, did Mourinho & co not accuse Rikarrd of talking to Frisk at half-time - hardly the same thing as accusing him of been corrupt. As for been severly punished ... don't they have to get found guilty first???

As previously stated, if they are found guilty then a touchline ban would appear to be a certainty. Anything else and you can be sure of a court case.

Btw, I like the tellytubby idea - he should also wear it for the man utd game in May, for another sprint up the side of the pitch at Old Trafford!

• Advertisement
Advertisement